Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
clangkamp
clangkamp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.clangkamp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.clangkamp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.clangkamp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.clangkamp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Hanvon E960plus - recommend

After a long time with the ipad (I sold my Pocketbook in 2013 when I finished my PhD - big mistake) I decided to get back to reading academic stuff and buy an e-reader. As I absolutely dislike Amazon - Kindle was off the table.

When looking around (and not willing to spend 600 USD for a used Sony) I encountered the Chinese Hanvon E960. As I live in HK, i.e. just across Shenzhen, I used a daytrip to go there and have a look. I ended up in a typical office store on the 10th floor in some building, a little run down, where a Chinese guy with no English capabilities was quite surprised in me coming in.

We quickly established what I wanted (have a look at the E960, have him switch it on and switch settings to English before I buy it), and then I counted him the money and left.

It is perfectly functional, and it was only 2300 RMB, so just shy of 300 USD. The screen is what you would expect, the software a rather old Android version. What struck me after the first 2 days of testing is the remarkable capacity to concentrate on the text. The ipad constantly wants to thrill you and tempts you to quit the text and go to facebook, twitter, tinder, news, email, ... and in hindsight I am astonished how I ever did get any reading done. The ereader does just ... showing books.

The screen is good, the English translation has a few spelling mistakes ('vacabulary', ...) but all in all it looks solidly built. So I can recommend it. The only other recommendation is order it directly from Tao Bao, potentially via a Chinese friend. The Taobao agents (something with Y) have significant markup, i saw one copy for 500 US rather than 300 ...
clangkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Thanks for the information on the E960! I have the E930 (yes, I ordered it via a Taobao agent, but the markup was not significant - still 500 USD though :-()
I really like the hardware (identical to the E960), but the software is not optimal for me. Can you confirm that the Android on the E960 is closed, i.e. you cannot install apps either from a store or as apks?
Thanks in advance!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Thanks for the information on the E960! I have the E930 (yes, I ordered it via a Taobao agent, but the markup was not significant - still 500 USD though :-()
I really like the hardware (identical to the E960), but the software is not optimal for me. Can you confirm that the Android on the E960 is closed, i.e. you cannot install apps either from a store or as apks?
Thanks in advance!
I think now it's possible to install an Android app on E960 with the latest update
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote