Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #121
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
Except that I rarely know what I want to read next and like to browse until I find one that appeals to me. I am just not a fan of change for change’s sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe it was mentioned upthread but search is your friend. There are two ways:

1. Type into the search at top of screen (any part of title or author) and it will start to show a few matching results below that you can tap on, or you can select Search everywhere (this will include Kindle Store results if you are connected). Either way, it will open or download the book directly if you pick something.

2. Tap the page indicator in lower left (‘X of y’) and this will let you either jump to a specific page number or the page containing titles beginning with the string you type in (you need to switch to Author sort to use author string to jump to page). If you are in ALL mode it will include everything in your Kindle library of course.

Which is fine if you want to "browse" for a title or author. Personally, I would call that searching by author or title.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #122
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
I feel such a fool. How did I ever not know that? My swiping days are over. Thank you so much!
Me too
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #123
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe it was mentioned upthread but search is your friend. There are two ways:

1. Type into the search at top of screen (any part of title or author) and it will start to show a few matching results below that you can tap on, or you can select Search everywhere (this will include Kindle Store results if you are connected). Either way, it will open or download the book directly if you pick something.

2. Tap the page indicator in lower left (‘X of y’) and this will let you either jump to a specific page number or the page containing titles beginning with the string you type in (you need to switch to Author sort to use author string to jump to page). If you are in ALL mode it will include everything in your Kindle library of course.

Beyond that, I’m gradually finding less need to keep hundreds of books on device. I haven’t gotten around to actually deleting any of what I’ve downloaded since registering this Kindle, but most purchases I make now just go to my cloud and not to my Kindle until I’m ready to read them. If there were only a few dozen it would be enough reading for months and it would also be easy to find one by paging
I liken my "search" to my younger days when I would stand in front of a bookcase and scan all the shelves to find something that said "read me next" to me. So although I do use the search function regularly when I am looking for something specific it doesn't help with my general browsing for something I own to catch my interest.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #124
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I liken my "search" to my younger days when I would stand in front of a bookcase and scan all the shelves to find something that said "read me next" to me. So although I do use the search function regularly when I am looking for something specific it doesn't help with my general browsing for something I own to catch my interest.
I understand this, but would point out that this form of browsing becomes more time consuming and difficult as you accumulate more unread books. There is more to choose from, and it becomes harder to determine the ‘best’ next read. You still have to look at the same number if items regardless of how many pages you have to visit. That is the time consuming part, not the page turns. The title and author isn’t sufficient information, you may need to check the description or look up Goodreads reviews etc.

I’ve tried keeping a Next Read collection in an attempt to shortcut things but then I always seem to pick something else to read, so this doesn’t seem to work.

Back when there were physical bookstores, I preferred the smaller ones with more curated collections. Borders might have had a better selection but I would wander around and leave frustrated without finding anything.

Still I cannot stop adding to the pile.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-26-2021 at 02:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 AM   #125
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Hey another unlogged new feature! "Amazon Device Simple Setup".
You can now use the Kindle app to sign into your Amazon account over bluetooth.
https://reddit.com/r/kindle/comments..._simple_setup/
How it works: What it does it let the user take their 10th Generation or later Kindle into a special Kindle app search mode during setup, enable Bluetooth and Location Services on the device with the Kindle app and also enabling the Simple Setup feature on the app.
Wait and it will say it found a Kindle E-Reader. You then choose to sign into your Amazon account, and choose your WiFi network (you can also choose from ones saved to your Amazon account that are in range). Select that and bam! It's almost instantly done and you're signed into Amazon on a Kindle E-Reader!
(my Reddit post has pics)
So far this hasn't been also added to the Fire tablet Kindle app... yet.

Last edited by Badcatalex; 08-27-2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added how it works
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2021, 06:09 AM   #126
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Bonkers
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #127
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
I feel such a fool. How did I ever not know that? My swiping days are over. Thank you so much!
I didn't realize that for awhile when I first got my device either.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #128
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Quote:
At 7 books per page (I prefer list view) I have 324 pages of books. I’m unwilling to scroll through so many more pages because someone thought it looked “better”. I’m just really happy I came here and read this before the update downloaded to my Kindles.
Be adventurous - Pick a page and choose one of the books on that page. Almost all my books are non-fiction because I've had a curiosity about everything all my life. To me, books are there to learn from. So, it really doesn't matter which book I choose at any time. I bought them and if I live long enough and curb my urge to buy more, eventually I'll read each one of them.
As I wrote before, I wrote a very simple Basic program (with what little I could remember from my High School computer class 48 years ago) to randomly pick my next book. You don't even need to go the tech route. Just pick a sort method in your mind (Recent, Author, or Title.) Then randomly pick a page number out of the number of pages of books you have. If you really feel bold, choose the number of the book down on the page. And stick with it. There have been times where I've said to myself, "I really don't feel like reading that book now." but I stuck with it and it turned out it was the best book I was reading at the time. I must point out that I read 4 books at a time, alternating every 10% or every chapter on long books. I don't know, it's just a fun system for me. Reading should be fun and it shouldn't be a chore to pick your next book.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #129
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like that idea, but my picks are pretty random as it is. I have also long done ‘read a chapter, then switch’ with multiple books. Some books have very long chapters, however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #130
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have updated my Oasis and PW4. It’s fine on the Oasis due to the page buttons, but on the PW4 I am finding the swiping isn’t working properly, in over 50% of attempts not at all. Is anyone else having a problem swiping through pages of books?

My PW4 is only a spare as I use my Oasis and Voyage as default, but it’s quite annoying tbh.

Edited as I now realise you have to swipe further up, not along the bottom anymore.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-28-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #131
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnju View Post
Luckily I still have a Kobo Aura that I used only once as I liked my Kindle better. Now that Amazon f*cked up my ereader it's time to ditch the Kindle. The only thing I'm going to miss is longer battery time.

I also have Kobo e-readers that I really like. If my Oasis and Voyage pack up I will move my Amazon books to them rather than buy or use a PW4 anymore. The swiping issue is too annoying. Right now I keep my fan fiction on my Kobo’s and Amazon books on my Kindles. That can very easily change.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #132
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
but on the PW4 I am finding the swiping isn’t working properly, in over 50% of attempts not at all.
Works for me on my 10th gen kindle, and you do know tapping works as well, right?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #133
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Works for me on my 10th gen kindle, and you do know tapping works as well, right?
It’s not within a book. I use tap for that, it’s when in lists of books I.e in a collection or ploughing through recent, or downloaded, you can only use swipe for that. I think I’ve got it now though, the swipe works further up the screen.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #134
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It’s not within a book. I use tap for that, it’s when in lists of books I.e in a collection or ploughing through recent, or downloaded, you can only use swipe for that. I think I’ve got it now though, the swipe works further up the screen.
I've found swiping on a diagonal works well.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #135
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've found swiping on a diagonal works well.
. I’ll give that a go.