Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #136
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have updated my Oasis and PW4. It’s fine on the Oasis due to the page buttons, but on the PW4 I am finding the swiping isn’t working properly, in over 50% of attempts not at all. Is anyone else having a problem swiping through pages of books?

My PW4 is only a spare as I use my Oasis and Voyage as default, but it’s quite annoying tbh.

Edited as I now realise you have to swipe further up, not along the bottom anymore.
Often after an update is applied, content gets re-indexed and the UI will be less responsive than usual. How long this lasts will depend on how much content is downloaded. Just keep it plugged in and give it some time.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #137
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Works for me on my 10th gen kindle, and you do know tapping works as well, right?
Tapping does not work when paging through Library. I assume that’s where the issue is, because I assume everybody knows that you can turn pages with tap or swipe.
Advert
Old 08-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #138
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Tapping does not work when paging through Library. I assume that’s where the issue is, because I assume everybody knows that you can turn pages with tap or swipe.
Yes that is where I was having problems, I always swiped bottom right, I just now need to either swipe diagonally or higher up, in the middle if the screen.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-28-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenUK View Post
I might as well upgrade. You can't keep your Kindle in aeroplane mode forever!
Actually, you can. I keep my PW3 in airplane mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This removes the 17s into the video and you don't have to open a new tab. This is how the video should have been posted in the first place.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-28-2021 at 05:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #141
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
~deleted~

Last edited by copyrite; 08-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #142
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Updated my PW4 which was unbelievably slow and didn’t respond well to touches. Much as I dislike the interface the device is working much better than with the last firmware so I’m happy. I will let the Oasis update whenever it happens but I’m not rushing to lose my beloved Back button or my extra lines on the screen. By then I’ll be used to it on the PW which is my “outdoors” device.

When I finish my current book I may well try a random page number and see what’s there. It’s usually fiction that I’d be “not in the mood for” but I’ve been purchasing more non-fiction lately. I’m very much a One Book At A Time reader, though I’m also the same with any project. Nothing new until the current one is finished.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #143
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
OK, personally, I updated my PW 10th gen to the new update and love the look. I feel it has a newer/modern look. Now, I am patiently waiting for the Voyage to get the update. Does anybody know for certain if the update will be made available on the Voyage?
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #144
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyr1 View Post
OK, personally, I updated my PW 10th gen to the new update and love the look. I feel it has a newer/modern look. Now, I am patiently waiting for the Voyage to get the update. Does anybody know for certain if the update will be made available on the Voyage?
I think it is likely to include older Kindles (7th generation or later), or at least there should not be any hardware dependency that would prevent it.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #145
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyr1 View Post
I feel it has a newer/modern look.
Which usually means dated in less than a year and often badly designed.
UIs should never be described as "modern" (which is meaningless) and anything changed is newer, but rarely better nowadays.

Useable, functional and not ugly, not too cramped and not too spaced out is the important thing. MS's worst GUI ever is even called "Modern" in part of the name.

In the late Victorian era they had a quite nice style for posters and stupidly called it Art Nouveau! A few years later it was regarded as outdated.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #146
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
None of the book covers appear fo my sideloaded books
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #147
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I was a bit baffled after reading on in this thread over the last few pages.

I wasn't able to replicate some of the issues and I think I know some of why. I always show covers so to me the library looks about the same to me. I have always used the home view so that looks the same to me too. 3 book covers with one large and 2 smaller. And the other stuff is pretty much as its been. Useful to me. My lists are a mix of my own wishlists from amazon and goodreads and samples. At least right now. And all the stuff below is related to what I am reading, what I have next up in series I am reading and so on. Good recommendations. I just found 2 books related to what I was reading I didn't know about so thats good.

But then I use the goodreads integration and I rate everything so my recommendations are much more specific and spot on I assume.

I still tap on the new menu on top, I am not a swiper. I just tap in the area of the arrow looking thing.

I was baffled about the white space thing until I figured out I had to change to list view to see that. So apparently there are less listed now in that view. Its been so long I had it on grid though that I can't remember. My old kindles still have the fuller lists of course.

I am a heavy user of collections so some of the issues won't apply to me. I put everything I started reading in one so its easy to pick that back up, even if its been months.
I have like 600 pages of books in my library, but because I use collections and have so from the beginning, its much more manageable.

Besides that the only thing is the smaller font on the menu. I don't really see this as a huge update overall. Just more of a cleaning up and more similar across apps. Although I don't read on apps.

But then I have had kindles since the very first one in 2008 so I have seen some really big updates in the past.

And yet, I am still hopeful to get my reading bar back after all these years. I'll never stop hoping
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #148
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yeah, it's fine if you use your Kindle more or less in the way Amazon wants you to.

For me, the update is a huge step back. I use the list view exclusively (don't like the grid view) and I don't use the default home page (nothing useful for me there, as I have no use for lists, Goodreads, recommendations and all the rest of the stuff. Most of my books aren't even bought from Amazon).

So no, I'm not going to install it. Unless Amazon fixes these things, my Oasis will stay in the airplane mode.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #149
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
5.13.7 so ugly like some low grade GUI on the phone

want to downgrade my kpw3 back to 5.13.6 or 5, is it possible?
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 PM   #150
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
5.13.7 so ugly like some low grade GUI on the phone

want to downgrade my kpw3 back to 5.13.6 or 5, is it possible?
No, it isn't.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote