Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My library's some 4000 books on a HDD (7200 RPM). My swap file's on the same HDD. Calibre itself is installed on the SSD.

I usually have a couple gigabytes of free memory, but Windows 10 isn't always good at managing memory (was the standby memory cache glitch ever fixed?) so there might be unnecessary paging.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Hi Kovid.

I've installed Calibre 5.3 and still cannot restart Calibre by either Ctrl R or Ctrl Shift R

Same error message as previously shown.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #18
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I get the same error with the Restart button. Monitoring the task manager it tries to re-start the process before Calibre has a chance to fully unload from memory. Large library size or amount of plugins, perhaps?
I've seen this for multiple versions of calibre 4 running in linux, so it's not just a windows problem. I have manually watched and waited for the background threads to exit so I can restart calibre.

If course I've been running on a memory constrained machine where calibre is certainly thrashing. Just got a memory upgrade, so with or without the fix, I'll probably not see this again.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
My library has 3166 Books, I'm running the 64bit version and when Calibre is running I still have 11.8GB of memory available out of 16GB. And all disks are SSD.
So nothing out of the ordinary there.
Sorry, I'm at a loss then. Without being able to reproduce there's nothing else I can think of. After my fix calibre now waits a maximum of ten seconds for the original process to exit. I cant imagine it taking more than that to exit. Are you seeing a ten second interval between pressing ctrl+r and the error?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Timed the pop up error box as 13 seconds after control R was typed.
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah if its not shutting down in 10 seconds, there's really not anything I can do. The question is why is it doing that. Does it happen if you run calibre with

calibre --ignore-plugins
Old 10-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #22
georgemk
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah if its not shutting down in 10 seconds, there's really not anything I can do. The question is why is it doing that. Does it happen if you run calibre with

calibre --ignore-plugins
Same error happens. I also removed all user installed plugins, shutdown, started it again and same result when Ctrl R is sent.

I also tried calibre-debug -g but the output stops with the message about quickview starting. No additional info is shown after the Ctrl R is sent.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

georgemk - I've not seen anything of what OS you're on, but if you're on Windows, check out RAMMap.

There was (or is, not sure if it was ever fixed) a particularly nasty glitch in Windows 10 where the standby memory cache fills up and then never releases - so even though the task manager shows you have a ton of memory free it's not actually available.

RAMMap also lets you check page tables to see how much a specific process is being paged out. Even if your swap file's on an SSD, it's less efficient than leaving it in RAM.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-16-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #24
georgemk
Addict

@ownedbycats

Tried that and no difference. Clearing down the standby list from 250k to 18k and then starting Calibre made no difference.

BTW I'm using Windows 10 Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Also I shutdown the Windows PC when I'm finished for that session so the machine is clean booted multiple times a day.

Last edited by georgemk; 10-16-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #25
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
This really a big deal? Just exit calibre and wait. Maybe double click the icon to restart a few times (with a long delay between) until it does.

But I probably can reproduce by artificially running it in a container with only 3-4G ram. What I usually see is background worker threads still running after the main interface window is closed. (Probably being paged in before they can exit, which is of dubious use.)

So let me know if debug info from a linux system would help.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW: both shortcuts works fine for me if I am not using calibre-debug -g. If I am then calibre shuts down without error but does not restart.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: both shortcuts works fine for me if I am not using calibre-debug -g. If I am then calibre shuts down without error but does not restart.
Yeah restart doesnt work with calibre-debug -g dont think it ever did.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #28
georgemk
Addict

@kovid and @CHALEY

I didn't really expect Calibre to restart from debug, I was just reporting that I was trying to cover all the bases. Also to report that Calibre itself didn't add any extra details to the debug log once the key strokes were sent.

@compurandom

I'm running Windows 10 with 16GB memory of which only 4.2GB is used when Calibre is up and running. So plenty of free memory.

Yes I know I can work around the issue by closing down and clicking the icon again or run the debug exe when I need to get a debug log for an issue. But something has changed from 4.23 to 5.2 ( I missed out all the intermediate releases) to cause this issue.

So my responses to this thread was just me adding more info to the issue that another person initially reported in a hope to help find out what has changed.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Can you try installing the portable version of Calibre and trying there? It'll be a completely clean set of configs so that might narrow it down to either "problem with my setup of Calibre" or "problem with my system." (With the caveat that portable is x86 instead of x64.)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are those with the the problem using custom page file settings - I recall fixing a similar issue on a Windows 7 system (not mine, not calibre) by putting the settings back to the default settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote