Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Changed password on Amazon - how to change on Fire HD 8 or Fire TV?

I changed my password on Amazon.com, but my Fire HD 8 still lets me download books. Do I have to change it on the HD 8? When I opened the Kindle app on my Tab S tablet it made me sign in again right away.

How about the Fire TV? Hubby is working on the wifi right now and was using the Fire TV to test connections, but without a way to change the password there I don't know if it would work anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i am 99% sure then there is no need to do anything on fire devices . they will remain signed in, even after a reboot- Kindles also
i remember asking amazon about this - but it was a long time ago henve the 99% .
deliberately signing out would lead to needing the changed password to get back in
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i am 99% sure then there is no need to do anything on fire devices . they will remain signed in, even after a reboot- Kindles also
i remember asking amazon about this - but it was a long time ago henve the 99% .
deliberately signing out would lead to needing the changed password to get back in
So if I lose my tablet and change my Amazon password, whoever finds it can buy anything they like? That's messed up. If I change my password on Google, you can't use any Google services until you enter your new password. But then Google also allows you to set the Play store to require a password for each purchase. Amazon refuses to do that.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So if I lose my tablet and change my Amazon password, whoever finds it can buy anything they like? That's messed up. If I change my password on Google, you can't use any Google services until you enter your new password. But then Google also allows you to set the Play store to require a password for each purchase. Amazon refuses to do that.
yes but it is also rash to have purchases enabled as everything is on 1 -click and accidents can happen. I have a password which must be entered to buy anything from my Fire tablet. You set that within parental controls. so it can be done., Amazon just don't make it obvious as they want you to shop.

there are 3 in fact two protections , I have both on.
there is the parental control password for any purchase. that is a local to device control; and there is also the option of PIN needed for any instant video purchase - you set the 5 digit PIN on the web site and it applies to all apps and devices
you can also have PIN needed to watch if you like or for certain age ratings...

and you can have lock screen security but that's too much hassle for me as tablet never leaves the house

more : if your tablet is lost you can immediately deregister it via the web site.
with the PIN feature on amazon video we can safely offer prime video for our short let studio aprtment users, via a roku stick. Visitors can use the app to watch anything that is on Prime or in our purchased videos library, but they cannot buy/rent any pay - to -watch show.
finally , you can deregister any single device, from the web site I went through this when we started renting out that apartment as we used to provide a PS3 for netflix and amazon video So I needed to know what happens if someone tookthe PS3 away with them. I also confirmed that no one can view my payment card details from within the amazon video app

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

For purchasing on tablets/phones Amazon also has a cool security system whereby after you make the purchase they text you a six number one time use code to enter in the Amazon app. So unless the their or finder of your lost tablet has your phone, they won't be able to complete the transaction. I cannot remember what Amazon calls this security option, but, I use a similar one for various other accounts too. I had some jerks hack into my GoDaddy FTP account and they were able to install malware on my part of the GoCrappy web server. After I discovered and deleted it I started using GoDaddy's Two-Step Verification of security I described where they text you a one time code to enter. Since starting that I've had no other hacks into my website.

ETA: They call it Two-Step Verification. Here is their website on using it.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard

i have never heard of that option - maybe it is USA only ?
seems it was when this was written anyway

http://www.techworld.com/security/ho...y-now-3631955/

so you buy - on 1 click - but unless you enter the code within some preset allowed time, the purchase is cancelled ? is that how it works ?
I don't get how that can work with immediate consumption items like MP3 downloads or videos, when their strict rule is if you listened/watched some of it so you must pay. Unlike with books, there is no refund option once you have accessed the download.

checking your link, and the amazon uk help, the 2 step verify seems to be something you use only when signing in on an untrusted device, so if someone steals your already -signed -in tablet it is not a protection, unless you can remotely sign out ? it is one code per sign in not a code for each time you go through the checkout - unless I amreading it wrong.

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So if I lose my tablet and change my Amazon password, whoever finds it can buy anything they like?
IIRC you can set a parental controls password to control purchasing from the device. Do you use a lockscreen password?

The other thing you can do if you lose a device is go to the Amazon site and deregister it right away.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

so you buy - on 1 click - but unless you enter the code within some preset allowed time, the purchase is cancelled ? is that how it works ?
I don't get how that can work with immediate consumption items like MP3 downloads or videos, when their strict rule is if you listened/watched some of it so you must pay. Unlike with books, there is no refund option once you have accessed the download.

checking your link, and the amazon uk help, the 2 step verify seems to be something you use only when signing in on an untrusted device, so if someone steals your already -signed -in tablet it is not a protection, unless you can remotely sign out ? it is one code per sign in not a code for each time you go through the checkout - unless I amreading it wrong.
I made a rare purchase from my iPhone via the Amazon app the other day, and after accepting the purchase info I got a text message with a six number code and then I was asked to enter that code into the app to verify I was the one making the purchase. That is the only time I've ever used my iPhone to purchase an item from Amazon. Will it happen the next time I use that device? I have no clue. But it worked that time. I never get the text when ordering from my PC or Mac, and that is how I order 99.99% of my Amazon purchases. I think I got the text when I ordered via Alexa on Cyber Monday, but that was too far back to remember for sure. I know I was leery about setting up Alexa for 1-click ordering, so I found this option and set it up. I just went to the Amazon Account web pages but I cannot see where I would set up an iPhone, iPad, etc. to be trusted devices, so no clue how to do that, but if you cannot then I guess they will always send the text when using those devices.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Was the text code sent from amazon, or from apple ?
I have the amazon store app on a non amazon samsung tablet, but I have never been offered that security option.,which is good as I don't have a mobile and can't get texts.
I have 1 click Off at website but that is ignored for digital goods.So one fat finger tap could buy an mp3.
AFAIK, there is no security for amazon store app on android, amazon's view is that you can sign in, sign out of the app, so security is for you to manage, not them.
I refuse to have the kindle reading app on non amazon android tablets as there is no way to prevent 1 click purchases, and every kindle book opens with a get the matching audio book banner. One rash tap and you've bought it!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes but it is also rash to have purchases enabled as everything is on 1 -click and accidents can happen. I have a password which must be entered to buy anything from my Fire tablet. You set that within parental controls. so it can be done., Amazon just don't make it obvious as they want you to shop.

there are 3 in fact two protections , I have both on.
there is the parental control password for any purchase. that is a local to device control; and there is also the option of PIN needed for any instant video purchase - you set the 5 digit PIN on the web site and it applies to all apps and devices
you can also have PIN needed to watch if you like or for certain age ratings...

and you can have lock screen security but that's too much hassle for me as tablet never leaves the house

more : if your tablet is lost you can immediately deregister it via the web site.
with the PIN feature on amazon video we can safely offer prime video for our short let studio aprtment users, via a roku stick. Visitors can use the app to watch anything that is on Prime or in our purchased videos library, but they cannot buy/rent any pay - to -watch show.
finally , you can deregister any single device, from the web site I went through this when we started renting out that apartment as we used to provide a PS3 for netflix and amazon video So I needed to know what happens if someone tookthe PS3 away with them. I also confirmed that no one can view my payment card details from within the amazon video app

I don't have 1click activated for anything. I think it's terrible that I am forced to use it for digital purchases.

I used parental control once and when I chose to have a book delivered to that tablet it never went there. I had to go to manage your content and devices to deliver it.

I don't want to deregister. What if I only misplaced it? If my password on my tablet doesn't match the website there should be no purchases allowed.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For purchasing on tablets/phones Amazon also has a cool security system whereby after you make the purchase they text you a six number one time use code to enter in the Amazon app. So unless the their or finder of your lost tablet has your phone, they won't be able to complete the transaction. I cannot remember what Amazon calls this security option, but, I use a similar one for various other accounts too. I had some jerks hack into my GoDaddy FTP account and they were able to install malware on my part of the GoCrappy web server. After I discovered and deleted it I started using GoDaddy's Two-Step Verification of security I described where they text you a one time code to enter. Since starting that I've had no other hacks into my website.

ETA: They call it Two-Step Verification. Here is their website on using it.
When I purchase on phones or tablets I use a browser set to desktop view. I can't use Amazon’s apps to purchase because the fonts are too small. I have 3 or 4 browsers I use regularly on my devices so I'm not sure if two step would work. As far as Amazon knows I am on a desktop.

I'll have to look into this, but the link you gave said I have to give a backup number to use two step. I don't have one I can use regularly. I do have a landline, but I rarely use it because it's too difficult for me. I guess I could just give that number.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have 1click activated for anything. I think it's terrible that I am forced to use it for digital purchases.

I used parental control once and when I chose to have a book delivered to that tablet it never went there. I had to go to manage your content and devices to deliver it.

I don't want to deregister. What if I only misplaced it? If my password on my tablet doesn't match the website there should be no purchases allowed.
1.,totally agree.
2. I have books delivered to my fire tablet, always works for me,,it is my default
t send to device and it has a purchase password. Works both for kindle buys from tablet and from website. Maybe you just had one bad result.
3. Deregister is a last resort, but amazon support had me do it one time and stuff gets restored from recent auto backup, all you lose are some passwords in apps as some email settings

The are remote lock apps, dunno if they work on fire. We were happily using freeWeb root to regilarly find my wife's nexus phone until one day their Web site said expired, pay to upgrade,and webroot told me that phone no longer had the key code needed.and was untraceable. I was most upset as I never saw any expiry warning. We found the phone, luckily, but now use android device finder, built in and free.
Web root had remote find, lock, make it scream, ...options. but that stuff needs a sim card in the device I think.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Good point about your tablet being a trusted device. I would have to not have the tablet set as trusted for this to work.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC you can set a parental controls password to control purchasing from the device. Do you use a lockscreen password?

The other thing you can do if you lose a device is go to the Amazon site and deregister it right away.
I'll have to try parental controls again. I had problems getting books sent to it when I used it. That would have been on my old hdx, so maybe it works better now.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Was the text code sent from amazon, or from apple ?
I have the amazon store app on a non amazon samsung tablet, but I have never been offered that security option.,which is good as I don't have a mobile and can't get texts.
I have 1 click Off at website but that is ignored for digital goods.So one fat finger tap could buy an mp3.
AFAIK, there is no security for amazon store app on android, amazon's view is that you can sign in, sign out of the app, so security is for you to manage, not them.
I refuse to have the kindle reading app on non amazon android tablets as there is no way to prevent 1 click purchases, and every kindle book opens with a get the matching audio book banner. One rash tap and you've bought it!
I don't use their store app so I didn't realize you don't need a password. That's ridiculous! I think I have it on my tablet so I will uninstall it. Hopefully that won't screw up the Kindle app or app store. I have to have the app store installed so I can use the apps I got from it.

When I purchase on phones or tablets I use a browser set to desktop view. It's easy to make a fat finger purchase there too. I've learned to be more careful.