Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Khan71
Khan71 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Problem Connecting To WiFi

Hello all...I just recently picked up a nook...WiFi only version. I love it...am reading more than ever. I got it all registered and connected to my home wireless network, which is protected with a WEP key. I use it mostly on airplane mode, and only turn off airplane mode when I want to search for a book. I never had any problems until today. It wouldn't connect to my wireless network. It tried for a few minutes and disconnected....then tried again. I shut it down and restarted....even shut it all the way down. Lastly, I had it "forget" the network, and I went about re-connecting and entering the network key. There is NO DOUBT that the key is correct...and I have tried it about 10 times, to be sure I'm not making a mistake. Yet, each time it tells me that the key is incorrect.

Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution request, please?

Thank you, in advance!

-Chris
Khan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan71 View Post
Hello all...I just recently picked up a nook...WiFi only version. I love it...am reading more than ever. I got it all registered and connected to my home wireless network, which is protected with a WEP key. I use it mostly on airplane mode, and only turn off airplane mode when I want to search for a book. I never had any problems until today. It wouldn't connect to my wireless network. It tried for a few minutes and disconnected....then tried again. I shut it down and restarted....even shut it all the way down. Lastly, I had it "forget" the network, and I went about re-connecting and entering the network key. There is NO DOUBT that the key is correct...and I have tried it about 10 times, to be sure I'm not making a mistake. Yet, each time it tells me that the key is incorrect.

Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution request, please?

Thank you, in advance!

-Chris
Try forgetting the network, than rebooting your Nook, try to connect again.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
gandalf1369
gandalf1369 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Try forgetting the network, than rebooting your Nook, try to connect again.
Based on his original post he did try forgetting the network.

What I would do is to ensure that the Wi-Fi is working on your nook by taking it into a Barnes & Noble store and seeing if it connects to their network. Another thing you may try is to temporarily disable all security on your home network and see if the nook connects then.
gandalf1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Khan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf1369 View Post

What I would do is to ensure that the Wi-Fi is working on your nook by taking it into a Barnes & Noble store and seeing if it connects to their network. Another thing you may try is to temporarily disable all security on your home network and see if the nook connects then.
Firstly...thanks for helping. Unfortunately, I went to B&N last night just for closing and talked to their nook expert...and he tried to tell me it was the low battery...but in the store it connected to B&N and AT&T perfectly fine on that same low battery. I came home, charged it completely up anyway, and still having the same problem.

I will try your idea about the network. I DID find it odd that when I was trying to connect originally I NEVER got the "bad password" error. It just would never connect all the way yesterday. Then after I tried the "forget" option, THEN it started telling me the password was bad....and I assure you, I tried that password about 15-20 times....all upper case...and all lower case, even though I know it's supposed to be upper case. Nothing worked.

The guy said to bring it back this morning if it still wasn't working. Guess we'll see. I'd still be grateful for any ideas from anyone.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf1369 View Post

What I mentioned extra is rebooting the Nook after forgetting the network. This is from the advise of the admin at the B&N board.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Khan71

Ok....problem solved.

After trying to print something and having my wireless printer tell me it's got an error, I decided these problems must be connected. Still weird, cause we have two laptops connected fine. But anyway, I unplugged the wireless router, and plugged it back in (I know...step 1 suggested by any tech rep...LOL)...and BAM....problem solved!

Thanks again for suggestions. Nice place.....think I'll stick around
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Hoping I can get this working too, it just decided it didn't want to connect. I've already done the whole re-boot the router thing, to no avail. It was working last night...and I've got a fully charged battery.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote