Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
at27
at27 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Un-Softrooting?

I softrooted my Nook. It's not for me. How do I go about putting 1.4 back on? I downloaded the file on B&N's site and transferred via USB but on the bottom right hand it says "invalid update."

A little help, please
at27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
at27
at27 began at the beginning.

Figured it out
at27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
mind sharing what did you do? I haven't had nook, it's on the way, and plan to soft root it, but also want to go back if I don't like it
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
adrian783
adrian783 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
unsoftroot is the same as reinstalling 1.4 official firmware, detailed instruction is at nookdevs
adrian783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
thanks for the reply
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
TheCrazier
TheCrazier began at the beginning.

i have rooted a couple of devices and it has always let my expectations down...i didnt consider doing it to my new nook but just curious, is there any better (or worse) performance on the nook? the available apps are that appealing though...
TheCrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
The apps are appealing only if you don't have a good smartphone that handles such things already. The performance issues (such as the recent battery drain issue) don't make a good case for softrooting.

While I appreciate the work that devs have done porting apps to the nook, I've rooted twice (once right after the nook was rooted) and once this week. I've gone back to stock both times.

As with all Android bases, the best reasons for rooting is to get rid of "bloatware" put on the device by a carrier or manufacturer or to enable wi-fi tethering....which the nook user doesn't have to worry with in the first place.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
TheCrazier

I have a quick question, if i do root and a new firmware is released, do i have to boycott official firmware and wait for newer dev firmware to retain root?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazier View Post
I have a quick question, if i do root and a new firmware is released, do i have to boycott official firmware and wait for newer dev firmware to retain root?
Yes. If it happens accidentally, you need to downgrade to v1.0, before you can apply the softroot again.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
The apps are appealing only if you don't have a good smartphone that handles such things already. The performance issues (such as the recent battery drain issue) don't make a good case for softrooting.
Yes, there are some users experiencing battery issues. But this happens on both sides (stock firmware and softroot). Since the softrooted firmware isn't any kind of magic, just the stock firmware without the lock-out and with a few additional apps, any bug in the stock firmware will also remain in the softrooted firmware (except from bugs in particular apps, which you won't use anymore since one of the additional apps offers a better solution). Most likely these issues are caused by an crashed app or process. Rebooting the nook will fix this, until the process crashes again.

Currently, there's a bug in Trook, causing an active WiFi connection as long as Trook runs. You need to exit Trook properly, to avoid draining the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
As with all Android bases, the best reasons for rooting is to get rid of "bloatware" put on the device by a carrier or manufacturer or to enable wi-fi tethering....which the nook user doesn't have to worry with in the first place.
Most users are complaining about the poor managing features the stock library offers and the separation between "B&N Documents" and "My Documents". Alone by the fact that the Nookdevs-Library offers managing functions as well as one listing for all documents (and a cover flow even for sideloaded content), it's worth for most users to softroot their nook.

Or, to put it differently, where is the advantage of using the stock firmware? With softroot you can use any function the stock firmware offers, cause softroot is build on the current stock firmware, but if you like, you can use additional apps (Trook, File Manager, ...) or simply just much better apps (Nookdevs-Library).
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
TheCrazier

i only reason i want to soft root is for better browsing through my library and because im afraid that the stock "my documents" will get capped and only display up to a certain number of books(i read this somewhere on this forum) which i have experiences with other devices when using a lot of files... but i might wait for an official fix by BN...anyone know if they are planning anything? or should i go ahead and root away...