Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Post How long does it take to get to your page.

When you feel like reading, you pick up the book, put a finger under the marker and flip open. All you have to do now is to find the place, in the two pages, where your eyes last left the text.
TIME 2 TO 6 SECONDS .

Now in your reader, be honest, describe the operations needed to get to your page, time this and give an answer.

I bet that some reading devices will give a time in minutes . My Powerbook 520 needs a bootup, open Word (which on this machine is almost as long) sort in the menu for the right book, find the marker and wait for the page to show up.
TIME 228 SECONDS .

This is the second best reason I have for chosing e-ink mainly on the Sony. The display is always on. When you take it out, the page is still there.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Tungten T3 with e-Reader:

Pull it out of my pocket, open case, open slide, tap e-Reader icon on the lower left smart-button, done. ~11.49 seconds.

I'd still much rather have e-Ink.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
This is a very good question since to me fast access to books and fast navigation are very important questions, and influence a lot my ereading choices
Assuming that the book is on the memory card and I have not changed the content of the memory card (else several seconds add when Ebookwise recognizes the new titles):

Ebookwise:
turn on 1s
open book 1s, opens at last page read if any, can switch instantaneously between 2 titles with a button, otherwise instantaneous access to library by finger/stylus touching
navigation: instantaneous page turning, paginated with numbers, very fast moving between pages by moving the page indicator with the stylus or finger, bookmarkable, clickable chapters if book so prepared.
My ereader of choice for short story collections, magazines, and for rereads where you do not want to read all pages sequentially. Also great for series where you want to move between various books fast.
I do not think any current ereader can beat the navigation capabilities of Ebookwise1150

Nokia770/Fbreader:
power up 45s; however I very rarely shut it down, I just slide it in and out of cover and keep it open at the last page read, so for practical purposes turn on is 1s
open book - if the title is in the library it takes 2-10s to open it, otherwise takes another 30s-1' to find it on the card, add it and write its info to memory, choose encoding; in some formats like opf, fb2, it does this automatically
navigation - page turning is instantaneous, but navigation is not great since the page indicator is not paginated, just a bar, also because of smaller device size it is harder to move the bar accurately; navigation between books also noticeably slower, due to loading time of several seconds
My ereader of choice for new novels that I read page to page, and of course for on the go reading.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard:

Hit resume button
Tap running programs button
Tap Mobipocket Reader button (I don't shut Mobipocket down so it always opens to my current page)

Total time: 2 to 3 seconds.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba
Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard:

Hit resume button
Tap running programs button
Tap Mobipocket Reader button (I don't shut Mobipocket down so it always opens to my current page)

Total time: 2 to 3 seconds.
Nah! Nah! You cheated! You forgot boot up time !
Advert
Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
TX and eReader. Press Home (which powers on), eReader (in Favorites) and I'm at the last page viewed of current book. Total time less than 2 seconds.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Nope, I didn't cheat. No boot up time because the 8125 remains in "standby" mode whenever it is on. The "resume" button merely turns on the screen. I don't think that I have actually turned the unit off since I got it several months ago.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Great! Nice tool!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
For me, it usually takes around 3secs to 20mins, depending how distracted I get when I start my PDA ;-) Often, I end up playing Bejeweled rather than reading a book.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
For me, it usually takes around 3secs to 20mins, depending how distracted I get when I start my PDA ;-) Often, I end up playing Bejeweled rather than reading a book.
Oh, are we counting wetware delays, then?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote