Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #76
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD View Post
That certainly looks to be the one Dave!
OK, that advertisement did not say which book reader application came with the device, if any, so you may have to download whichever book reader strikes your interest from reading this thread. I could tell from the specifications of that device that it will not have Android Market access, so finding a book reader application will involve a bit of searching. Maybe one of the alternative markets like SlideME may have a book reader application that you can use.

http://slideme.org/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
very interesting! Thanks for the "find" Dave!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #78
CRD
CRD began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks Dave, I think it will be a while before I can get my head around all of the info, I am hoping to find someone local here to 'show' me the way! I don't think I have enough experience yet to go alone. I will let you all know how I get on. Thanks again to you Dave and everybody else who responded to my queries

Hasta Luego
CRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #79
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I was wandering on adobe's website site
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Aldiko is adept proof ?
Apparently not yet, according to their import instructions: "Note that DRM-protected books are not currently supported."

I imported and tried to open an adept epub anyway, but couldn't open it: "Failed to open book. Possible reasons: The file is DRM-protected...."
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #80
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Interesting that they show an Ipad screen and icons.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #81
surakmn
surakmn began at the beginning.

Device: Android
A few thoughts then a plea for help....

I've finally broken down and have several ereaders on my phone (Android - myTouch). I've used my PDA for years for scriptures but have avoided using a lot of ebooks otherwise, but my wife has been using ebooks for many years starting with her Pam TX, then her WinMo phone, and now on an Android Tablet.

Reveal Reader - I use this for my scripture app. Targeted toward the LDS (Mormon) market, it has decent functionality, an active user community and far and away the most directly accessible content. It's very much a niche app, and uses outdated formats. As a general reader you'd have problems finding new material in the right formats.

iReader - I have it loaded, my wife uses this as one of her primary readers. Decent functionality, and the paid version supports DRM for eReader and Mobi formats - doesn't render perfectly, but useable. Recently eReader became available for Android, it's still the only game in town for Mobi - my understanding is Kindle supports non DRM only. It is nice to have an Android option for people with significant investment in older formats with DRM.

Now, for my quandry.

I have Wordplayer, Kobo, Nook and Kindle all loaded, sitting side by side in my main panel.

Kobo - mobile app connects via data to load the mobile version of books. You cannot load epub into it. Epubs you purchase from Kobo are for use with their own reader, Sony reader, etc. I like the app, but a book I've purchased has been VERY unreliable - the mobile versions of the books simply haven't always worked. It may be just be that one is buggy but it annoys me when it's a paid book and it isn't reliable. The ePub version works fine in the adobe digital editions software on the PC, and I can browse it on the web.

WordPlayer syncs with Calibre. Can't seem to handle the DRM books, but I love Calibre's ability to make ebooks of newspapers, online serials, txt, pdf, and html files, etc. Not the prettiest app but reliable.

Kindle - I'm not fond of proprietary formats and haven't forgotten how they evaporated paid content ex post facto. But it works smoothly and reliably.

Nook - Also works smoothly and reliably, and B&N supports ebook lending.

So, what do I do with the DRM books? Calibre can't open them, Adobe Digital Editions shows everything on my device which shows as a "B&N ereader" without regard to which application I use to read it, but doesn't give me a way to "load" content into the device or any application libraries.

I'd like to have the flexibility to use common stores like B&N, etc., but it's problematic if I have to load a different reader to manage DRM.

Any ideas? Recommendations?
surakmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The above is why I convert everything to epub (after removing the restrictive drm) and do not buy ebooks that can't have the drm removed. I also don't even attempt to read pdfs on an ebook reader or android app.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #83
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surakmn View Post
So, what do I do with the DRM books? Calibre can't open them, Adobe Digital Editions shows everything on my device which shows as a "B&N ereader" without regard to which application I use to read it, but doesn't give me a way to "load" content into the device or any application libraries.
Txtr is the only app I've found so far that supports Adobe Adept DRM (epubs and pdf). It's not pretty; it has practically no functionality. And I couldn't find a way to sideload books onto the device. It says it can open books from your browser or email client, but I couldn't get that to work. I had to sign up for an account on their website (txtr.com) and upload/download via their website. And it does not support B&N's DRM.

Aldiko does not currently support DRM'd epubs. But someone posted on the Adobe ADE forums that they had contacted Aldiko and was told their next release "coming soon" will support DRM. No date was given for when that will be.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #84
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Remove the DRM. That makes you a criminal (at least, in the US) but it's the only way to be able to reliably use the materials you have bought and paid for.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #85
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I went to update this post today, but it seems the market is pretty stable now as far as eBook reading clients go.

I thought about adding a few notes on clients designed for Arabic script, but most of them are for specific books and not eBook reading in general. Also, most require modding the Android system to do so, and that's way beyond the scope of this post.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #86
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
Aldiko does not currently support DRM'd epubs. But someone posted on the Adobe ADE forums that they had contacted Aldiko and was told their next release "coming soon" will support DRM. No date was given for when that will be.
Aldiko has confirmed on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aldiko/133203453381) that the next release will include DRM support. Since it's already had a few beta releases, I would imagine that release is coming soon.

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #87
Dan de V
Avid Reader
Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: PRS 350 & HTC Legend
Probably worth mentioning in this thread what has been stated elsewhere on mobileread which is that when Sony announced their next generation of e-readers at the end of August, they also announced that would be creating software apps for Android and iOS. If I remember correctly the press release said November 2010 for release. Now Sony is probably doing this to bolster their "ecosystem" (even though it could cannibalize some of their hardware sales) then it would make sense to assume the apps will be able to read epubs with ADEPT DRM. Thus I would suggest we will have another epub ADEPT DRM reader for Android other than Txtr before the end of the year
Dan de V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #88
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan de V View Post
Probably worth mentioning in this thread what has been stated elsewhere on mobileread which is that when Sony announced their next generation of e-readers at the end of August, they also announced that would be creating software apps for Android and iOS. If I remember correctly the press release said November 2010 for release. Now Sony is probably doing this to bolster their "ecosystem" (even though it could cannibalize some of their hardware sales) then it would make sense to assume the apps will be able to read epubs with ADEPT DRM. Thus I would suggest we will have another epub ADEPT DRM reader for Android other than Txtr before the end of the year
Cool, but with Sony being EPUB now...not sure it's that big a deal.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #89
sbtx99
Zealot

The Bluefire Reader thread over in the Apple device forum mentioned they are working on an Android app which should be out in a couple months. The Bluefire ithing app supports Adobe Adept DRM and also B&N's DRM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #90
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Just downloaded the latest version of Moon+ Reader. It now gets my vote for the best ereader app for Android. The biggest issue for me was finding a good ereader with smooth autoscroll and this one is darn near perfect. Supports txt, html, epub, umd and zip files. Other features (from their website) include:

Features:
* Read tens of thousands of books for free, supports multiple online book sites.
* Read local books for nice experience with real-time smooth scroll and tons of innovation functions.
* Supports txt, html, epub, umd and zip files.
* Full visual options: line space, font scale, shadow, alignment, alpha colors, fading edge and more.
* 10+ themes embedded, includes Day & Night mode switcher.
* Various types of paging: touch screen, volume keys or even camera, search or back keys.
* 21 customized operations (screen click, swipe gesture, hardware keys), apply to 15 customized events: search, bookmark, themes, navigation, font size and more.
* 4 auto-scroll modes: smooth; by pixel, by line or by page. Real-time speed control.
* Adjust the brightness by sliding your finger along the left edge of the screen.
* Intelligent paragraph; trim unwanted blank spaces options.
* “Keep your eyes health” options for long-time reading.

I gave it five stars and I've never done that with any other app on Market.

* unsolicited, honest, sincere endorsement!
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one