Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It is when authors/publishers/retailers are more concerned about $ than writing that is the true attack on literature.
I assume I'm misreading this. Are you saying that any writer who wants to get paid is attacking literature?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Ok, so the bussiness-model is based on the fact that you sell paperbacks at a loss because you have already "brought home the bacon" with hardbacks?
No - you can sell paperbacks at a profit because the hardback sales have already paid the up-front costs of producing the book. What people seem to want are eBooks released simultaneously with the hardback, but at paperback prices. That's a pricing model that just doesn't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Has anyone done the math to figure out the cost of printing a single book? I know that Print on Demand exists because they were able to bring that price down. And if they can print a vanity book for me? It must be alot cheaper for a publishing company.

I'm looking at the price of paperbacks and saying, "Why are they charging so much?" There's many entries on Amazon where the paperback is actually cheaper. That doesn't make any sense at all to the consumer (not to mention the environment).
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm glad someone buys hardcovers because of the thousands of books I bought over the years maybe five were hardcover. I hate 'em.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No - you can sell paperbacks at a profit because the hardback sales have already paid the up-front costs of producing the book. What people seem to want are eBooks released simultaneously with the hardback, but at paperback prices. That's a pricing model that just doesn't work.
I agree.

The real issue is that for every industry, going digital is requiring a complete rethinking of "business as usual".Trying to fit it into the existing models is what is causing all the friction for creators, producers, and consumers.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrouton View Post
Has anyone done the math to figure out the cost of printing a single book?
http://uk.cpibooks.com/short-run-and...od-calculator/

Costs for a run of 5000 paperbacks on the cheapest paper without any cover finishing is £7000.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It all depends on the size of the print run.

There're certain fixed costs (editorial, design, typesetting, plates, paper, ink, &c.) for getting a book ready to print --- then how much each copy costs depends on how long one keeps the presses running.

Print 1,000 copies of a gallery catalogue? Say $6,000 for the fixed costs, so $6 per copy. Print 10,000 copies of it? Your fixed costs are pretty much the same, tack on a pittance for the 10-fold increase in paper and ink usage (even polyester plates will hold up for a print run of ~20,000 or so) and you're at something like $0.65 per copy.

People at publishing houses get paid big bucks to determine what size print run will yield the greatest possible profit --- it's an art and black magic and very risky.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I agree.

The real issue is that for every industry, going digital is requiring a complete rethinking of "business as usual".Trying to fit it into the existing models is what is causing all the friction for creators, producers, and consumers.
True. The problem is that there's no great big switch to change the market over from paper to bits. In some way--and for some time--the old and new are going to have to coexist. That means finding a way for everyone to meet in the middle somewhere to exchange money for goods.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I won't even buy the bestsellers at $9.99. I'd rather wait a couple of months and borrow it for free from the library. Most of the new ebooks are coming out in DRMed ePub which makes it a snap to liberate and convert for my Kindle. Sure the library pays some kind of licensing fee but there is no additional cost to me.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is exactly what I want. I won't be buying the hardcover anyway. So high eBook pricing is just going to get me not to spend.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2112 View Post
Typical corporate BS.
How are they supposed to rip people off if someone is undercutting them? Competition is great for the consumer, but not for the greedy corporation.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I assume I'm misreading this. Are you saying that any writer who wants to get paid is attacking literature?
No that is not what I am everybody has the right to make money.

My statement is more geared toward those entitles whoms primary focus is about payment.

There are those who write for money and those that write for literature. A person who writes for lit would rather give their work away for fee and have a million readers. A person writting for money would rather sell one book and make a million.

Now you tell me who is most likely going to write a better book
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
"more concerned about $ then writing" is a lot different than "wants to get paid".
Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrouton View Post
Has anyone done the math to figure out the cost of printing a single book? I know that Print on Demand exists because they were able to bring that price down. And if they can print a vanity book for me? It must be alot cheaper for a publishing company.
There are a lot more additional costs to a paper book than just the printing. Shipping, storing, returning/destroying unsold stock... basically any of the costs due to it being a physical product.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #30
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No that is not what I am everybody has the right to make money.

My statement is more geared toward those entitles whoms primary focus is about payment.

There are those who write for money and those that write for literature. A person who writes for lit would rather give their work away for fee and have a million readers. A person writting for money would rather sell one book and make a million.

Now you tell me who is most likely going to write a better book
Define 'better'. IMO the person writing for money is more likely to write the better book-because they're the ones who will pay attention to their customers. The person 'writing for literature' is more likely to pay attention only to their own opinion of what's 'best'.

I, obviously, define 'better' as 'more popular' rather than as 'satisfying esoteric critics'.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote