Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
Hi from Canada

I don't own an ereader yet but will get one as soon as I make up my mind. The Kindle is out of the question so am looking seriously at all others. I thought I would get a Cool-er but the reviews about it's user interface are holding me back. Next on my list of potential are the ez reader, the bebook or the opus. When I hear about something new coming out it just delays my decision making.
I have been reading books on my netbook but the eyestrain, battery life and heat are drawbacks. I thought I would want a 6" but the idea of it fitting in my purse is nice so might go for 5". I don't care about wifi it seems to have as many disadvantages as advantages.
The advantages of each ereader are:
1. Cool-er; nice colours, holds alot of books, reads pdf and other formats, books bought from their site can be read on more than one device; downside, poor reviews of user interface maybe to big, no text to speach.
2. Opus; nice look, small size, reads alot of formats, price, 12 font sizes; downside, no text to speach, no colours, not out yet.
3. Bebook; nice price, several formats, 5 font sizes; downside, not that great looking, no colours
4. Ez reader alot like the bebook but is coming out with a new 5" version that has text to speach and also colours, also around $200 (more in CAN $); downside, not out yet

I am hoping this forum and it's many users will help in making my decision. I am a librarian who loves books in whatever format available. I don't know how many books I will purchase but I am looking forward to reading many classics on a new ereader.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello onewayherway, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome library.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	31788 to Mobileread.

I've had a Sony 505 for nearly two years and love it.

We have many Canadian members here and I'm sure between your research here on the forum and possibly recommendations from members, you'll find the one that's right for you.

Good luck in your search and let us know which one you end up choosing.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi onewayherway and welcome to MobileRead. Like Lady Blue, I've had a Sony 505 for quite a while (Jan 08) and really like it.

Be sure and let us know what you finally decide
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
onewayherway
Enthusiast

I was considering the Sony 505 but cannot justify paying that much when I already have a netbook and desktop. I want to pay less for an ereadera than I have for my netbook.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Morning Herway, I too am from Canada and would like to add to the conversation.

Astak has the PocketPro coming out in the next 2 months give or take and it is a 5" reader that supports a whole slew of book formats. They are promising for competitive pricing in the $209 US range and will ship to Canada.

As a Canadian, one concern I have is warranty coverage. Some companies from the US and abroad only honor warranties in their own country. This has me seriously considering a Sony. As Sony has a Canadian division, Sony Style Canada, you would be able to buy one at a store and have it serviced here in Canada if ever you should need to. I know that right now Best Buy, Future Shop & Staples all carry them in Canada as well as Sony Style locations as well.

Another issue to keep in mind for us Canucks is that any reader we buy from outside of Canada will be charged Duty and Handling Fees at the border. That on top of a higher shipping rate to get the reader to Canada makes it cheaper often just to buy local. It may seem like you can get a great deal from outside Canada, and some times you can, but it is often more expensive by the time the transaction is finished.

Hope that gives you something to think about. I too am still shopping and am pretty sure that any reader is better than no reader so I am sure that you will find the one that fits for you.

Oh and Welcome of course. You will find many very knowledgeable people here who can answer questions on any device going.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi onewayherway--let me add my welcome to MR!

I see you mentioned "your purse", so I take it it's really "onewaymyway"? Or, maybe you're a guy and you have a man purse--oops, did I get too personal?

I have a Kindle K1 and really like it a lot, but I'm kinda thinking about moving to an Astak Pocket Pro if they're released soon.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
onewayherway
Enthusiast

Just looked at the slideshow of the new Opus,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebouqui...7620963287700/
I like the user interface showing the covers.
I like the idea of buying in Canada and wish other ereader companies would find a retailer here but when I see the Sony's are almost $100 cheaper it makes it worthwhile to look at all alternatives. I have heard Chapters is going to come out with an ereader. Don't kn ow if I will wait for them to get around to it.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Hello onewayherway, it's always a pleasure to welcome another Canadian to MobileRead.

I have both the Sony PRS-505 and PRS-700 and like both, each for their own merits. They seem to be out of your price range though and I don't know too much about other readers except what I read in the news forum or in MobilRead's Famous eBook Reader Matrix.

There seems to always be new and improved and cheaper devices on the horizon, but I couldn't wait any longer and went with Sony, which is sold and supported by Sony Canada.

Enjoy your search for the perfect reader.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, onewayherway!

My Sony 700 fits perfectly in my purse and that's including my fuschia M-edge leather cover! Whatever you decide to buy, MR is the place to get answers to your questions and we have a huge selection of free ebooks you can download. Good luck making your decision.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote