Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Question Anyone else having issues with library books?

JUST WONDERING: I might have used a certain banned script to get library books I downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions onto my kindle. Everything was going swimmingly, and my wishlist from the library is over 300 books.

The other night, two books wouldn't decrypt. Last night, I returned the books and checked them out again - same result. Then I checked out two more books, one I was able to get on my kindle, the other no luck.

This is the first time I have run into this. The books show up just fine in Adobe Digital Editions. I am not asking for any help decrypting these - I just want to know, is it ME, or are others having problems with a book here or there? Unfortunately, the books are not available in mobi, so I can't use that workaround.

I certainly can survive not reading: The Greek Tycoon's Convenient Wife. I am most assuredly not going to buy that piece of trash (I like trash just fine, thank you). So not a big issue, just wondering if others have run into an occasional library book that they cannot kindlize.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 03-28-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
I have a different problem

On Sunday, I tried a library book, and while it appeared to have "converted" correctly, I was unable to open it.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, JohnB. Glad to know it is just not me.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I certainly can survive not reading: The Greek Tycoon's Convenient Wife. I am most assuredly not going to buy that piece of trash
This one is available as pdf from e-NYPL too and on download it gives an acsm link as opposed to the usual etx, have no idea if it makes any difference.

I opened it with ADE and the usual worked, the result opened and seemed identical.

Things to check for a retry - maybe need to use original download folder and have everything done there as well as keeping book open in ADE when doing it, also maybe need to check if the tool is the improved version not the original one

There are comments on the blog in question to help with the second issue.

So far anything opened by ADE works
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
This one is available as pdf from e-NYPL too and on download it gives an acsm link as opposed to the usual etx, have no idea if it makes any difference.

I opened it with ADE and the usual worked, the result opened and seemed identical.

Things to check for a retry - maybe need to use original download folder and have everything done there as well as keeping book open in ADE when doing it, also maybe need to check if the tool is the improved version not the original one

There are comments on the blog in question to help with the second issue.

So far anything opened by ADE works
Thanks. I might have tried to decrypt before I opened it in ADE. Also, all of the books were the 1.5 version that he mentioned had a bug. I will wait for the new version.

How was the book?
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
dconabree
dconabree began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Same problem - tried the Ottawa Public Library digital editions download. I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books. Any ideas? I feel like I found an awesome solution to my book cravings only to have my hopes dashed. Any ideas?
dconabree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconabree View Post
Same problem - tried the Ottawa Public Library digital editions download. I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books. Any ideas? I feel like I found an awesome solution to my book cravings only to have my hopes dashed. Any ideas?
Do you move them from ADE? The usb connected PRS should show in ADE as device and sending the book from ADE to it works for me. I have a 700 and a PC though
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
The usb connected PRS should show in ADE as device and sending the book from ADE to it works for me.
Not on a Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books.
Have you added your PRS-505 to your Adobe ID account (a one time procedure on a Windows PC)? The mention of Diesel books suggests that this has been done, but if so the lending library ebooks should work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
dconabree

Yes...I dragged the file from the ADE folder on my Mac to the Digital Editions folder on my PRS-505. The Mac and my PRS are using the same Digital Editions login info.

What I am doing here is the same procedure I use with purchased DRM books and it works great (thanks to a little help from the forums here). Unfortunately, doing the exact same procedure with the Ottawa library file produces an unreadable document on the device.

I submitted this link in a email to them last week. Hopefully, they will be able to help.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes...I dragged the file from the ADE folder on my Mac to the Digital Editions folder on my PRS-505. The Mac and my PRS are using the same Digital Editions login info.

What I am doing here is the same procedure I use with purchased DRM books and it works great (thanks to a little help from the forums here). Unfortunately, doing the exact same procedure with the Ottawa library file produces an unreadable document on the device.

I submitted this link in a email to them last week. Hopefully, they will be able to help.
The only difference should be that the library copies are time limited. Is the clock and date correct on your Sony?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
dconabree

The clock is fine when viewing on the ADE software in the MAC but as a "protected page PDF", I can see very little info about the book when I rag it to the PRS-505.

Frankly, its painfully frustrating.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
dconabree

I should add that I contacted Overdrive, who supply the ADE books to the library and was advised that I could not read ADE books on the PRS-505. I have forwarded them the info about how I read purchased books from Diesel with no difficulty.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I think what DaleDe is asking is, do you have the clock set correctly in the actual PRS-505/reader/device? Since library ebooks are time-sensitive/limited, it stands to reason it will check the system clock on the reader to see if borrowed ebooks have expired.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
dconabree

10-4...the dates on the desktop and the PRS-505 match. Just tried again with a different book...same effect...A-ok on the computer but "protected page" when the PDF is dragged to the reader digital editions folder and viewed there.