Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
myPower ALL MP3300 universal rechargeable battery

Did you ever run out of battery power right when you needed it most? Well, California-based Tekkeon promises to deliver an all-in-one solution with the myPower ALL MP 3300, a single lightweight rechargeable battery to extend the play time on mobile devices including portable DVD players, notebooks, digicams, MP3 players (full list of supported devices). It can be used not only to power a device, but also to simultaneously recharge the device battery.

Find out more at Softpedia.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quite interesting. It does seem to be missing an adapter for a particularly popular portable device though, the iPod. Of course they have an iPod battery, sold separately (seems like they're trying to get money off people with laptops and iPods, twice).

The list of other supported devices is quite impressive though. Powerbook G4s, Clies, a bundle of Palms (although missing support for the three newest - T5, Treo 650, and LifeDrive), a huge number of digital cameras, etc.

"Adapters shown in red must be ordered separately for a minimum charge from the Tekkeon Store."
They're $5 each. Not bad.

Judging from the specs, though, it's basically a stand-alone laptop battery, with a little more capacity (depending). 3 hour extension to a laptop. And most laptops last 3 hours on battery. Hmmmm...

And the name... It seems a bit cheesy.
Advert
Old 06-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It would be so nice if our gadget providers agreed on a standard power adapter. Maybe something that PDA's, phones, laptops, and portable anythings can all use. It really (read: REALLY) bothers me that every single device has a different connector. (Don't even get me started on Palm's "Universal Connector" that only works on 5 devices and will be obsolete going forward!)
POL9A
Old 06-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Even with all the negatives (ways it could be even better), I think this is a great step forward. I'd rather buy one of these for when I need extended battery life than a second Treo battery, for example. Only thing is that it's a bit more expensive also, so there's always a tradeoff.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I have to say, one universal connector for everything is unlikely, and probably hard to do.

More likely, could be several classes of adapters.

PDAs
Phones
Laptops
Cameras
Game systems
Music players

Instead of a different connector for every make or model, we'd be down to only 6 connectors, all exchangeable. Of course, this is unlikely, seeing how manufacturers like to make money off proprietary adapters and accessories.
Advert
Old 06-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I agree with you about manufacturers just being greedy meanies. We all know that they could do so if they wanted to.

So instead, maybe 2 classes:

power only
power and data

I'm getting the idea from my digital camera's cradle, it appears to be just a mini-USB plug but it does both data transfer and charging (independent of each other.) Perhaps devices that do the data transfer thing could all support this kind of adapter. I'm sure my camera's mini-USB is the 1.1 spec, but our adapter should be the 2.0 spec especially if it can power the bigger gadget batteries like the iPod's and such.

For the other adapter, I really favor the Powerbook's power plug. Maybe that's small enough for other manufacturers to incorporate. Especially if it's not subject to licensing and royalty fees.

In my mind, everything works just perfectly. In real life, however, I'm afraid that we should just resign ourselves (including me) to our current jumble of adapters and cords and whatever.
POL9A