Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Science Fiction/Mystery

Right now, the Fantasy/Mystery crossover subgenre is fairly popular. I like it myself, but I'm feeling a little burned out on it.

Is there a thriving Science Fiction/Mystery crossover subgenre? I'm aware of Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw series, but not much else.

Any recommendations?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
You could try Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon. Very, very popular violent detective thriller.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is also the In Death series by J.D. Robb that takes place in the future.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Lee Killough: Bridling Chaos (collection of three books: Doppelgänger Gambit, Spider Play and Dragon's Teeth).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There was an SF mystery anthology I've read in my teens that included (and was titled after) Asimov's The Naked Sun. I think it was the only one such I've ever encountered. I found the contents and here it is:

The Damned Thing (1893) // Ambrose Bierce
The Fly (1957) // George Langelaan
Who Goes There? (1938) // John W. Campbell, Jr.
The Little Black Bag (1950) // Cyril M. Kornbluth
The Martian Crown Jewels (1958) // Poul Anderson
The Key (1966) // Isaac Asimov
A Matter of Form (1938) // Horace L. Gold
Deadly Litter (1960) // James White
The Naked Sun (1956) // Isaac Asimov
The Billiard Ball (1967) // Isaac Asimov
Of Time and Eustace Weaver (1964) // Fredric Brown
A Run of Deuces (1969) // Jack Wodhams
Avventura di due nobili cuori (1962) // Sandro Sandrelli
The Sword Swallower (1967) // Ron Goulart
The Public Hating (1955) // Steve Allen
The Rip Van Winkle Caper (1962) // Rod Serling
Sharks (19??) // Walter Scherf

Mostly short stories, but there you have it. In the afterword they also mentioned many other stories and novels, here are some novels from it:
Mord pe 31 veningen (1964) // Per Wahl (Sweden)
Almost Midnight (1971) // Martin Caidin
Seven Days in May (1962) // Fletcher Knebel & Charles Bailey II
Vanished (1968) // Fletcher Knebel

Last edited by igorsk; 03-01-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wasn't gonna do this, but... wouldn't want you to miss something you might enjoy, so...

Take a look at As the Mirror Cracked, Encephalopath and Lambs Hide, Tigers Seek (not sci-fi) on my site, or ask others about them.

Also, if you can do sci-fi/mystery/humor, the Zakour-Ganem Zachary Nixon Johnson books are great:
The Plutonium Blonde
The Radioactive Redhead
The Doomsday Brunette
The Frost-Haired Vixen
The Blue-Haired Bombshell
The Flaxen Femme Fatale

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-04-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Missed one!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Try Needle and Through the Eye of a Needle, both by Hal Clement.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Wasn't gonna do this, but... wouldn't want you to miss something you might enjoy, so...

Take a look at As the Mirror Cracked, Encephalopath and Lambs Hide, Tigers Seek (not sci-fi) on my site, or ask others about them.
I bought the everything-bundle a few weeks ago but haven't read anything in it yet.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I bought the everything-bundle a few weeks ago but haven't read anything in it yet.
Then I won't bother you anymore.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Hmm, Several of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan books include a fairly high mystery component to them. Off the top of my head, I think Memory, Cetganda, Komarr and Diplomatic Immunity all qualify to some extent. Oh almost forgot, the Novella Mountains of Mourning.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Rob Sawyer writes pretty good SF Mysteries. You can find most of his work on FictionWise.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post

Is there still an everything bundle?
I can see the category bundles; but not a bundle bundle.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Kristine Kathryn Rusch has her "Retrieval Artist" series that starts with "The Disappeared". "The Disappeared" reads just a little differently than the rest of the series - it actually sets up the rest of the series. But I've enjoyed listening to them from Audible (the first one was offered free, which is what made me try it).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Kristine Kathryn Rusch has her "Retrieval Artist" series that starts with "The Disappeared". "The Disappeared" reads just a little differently than the rest of the series - it actually sets up the rest of the series. But I've enjoyed listening to them from Audible (the first one was offered free, which is what made me try it).
I'm almost finished listening to "The Disappeared". I didn't realize it was part of a series. Looks like there are six more books. Well, I guess I know how I'll be using my Audible credits for the next couple of months.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Is there still an everything bundle?
I can see the category bundles; but not a bundle bundle.
Sorry... I've taken down the perfect bundle. I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, but the perfect bundle wasn't working out as a product. I may re-introduce it later, or substitute it with some other configuration... I don't know yet.