Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Read e-books through RSS feeds

Russell Beattie added a nifty new feature to his Mobdex ('Content for Mobiles') - project. You can now have small chunks of an e-book delivered to you daily via RSS feed. In other words, we don't accept any more excuses ('lack of time') for not having read classics such as H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. How-to-use, taken from Russell's blog:

Simply find a book, note it's ID number, then subscribe to the RSS feed like this:

http://www.mobdex.com/rss?book=116&id=russ

The ID can be anything, but because I'm not checking for duplicates or want to deal with a registration process, it's better to use something unique like your email or something secret yet unique. This RSS will return the first "page" of text in that book to your RSS aggregator. If the first few pages are gobbledygook (as Project Gutenberg books sometimes are) or you want to go back a few "pages", simply reset the counter (which increments +1 "page" per day you've checked the site) by appending a "page" parameter like "&page=12".

And if you're a speed reader and want the pages to be updated more frequently, add an "interval" parameter in minutes. This would produce another page for my aggregator every couple of hours:

http://www.mobdex.com/rss?book=116&id=russ&interval=120

And what is Mobdex?
Mobdex contains several hundred public domain e-books from Project Gutenberg, dynamically reformatted to be readable on the web and modern mobile browsers.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Mobdex is down now.
Quote:
I've got a memory leak somewhere, and I think it's in Mobdex, so I've taken it down. Sorry for the inconvenience if you're in the middle of a free eBook via RSS. It was just an experiment anyways.
I am actually going to be moving my stuff to PHP sometime very soon. The blog will move to WordPress 1.5 and the server itself will go from Tomcat to Apache/PHP. I was happy when I moved to Tomcat last year, but amazingly, the past few revs have really screwed up the server. Relying on Java 1.5, not paying attention to the JSTL builds, memory problems (I didn't have these problems on my other server with an older version of Tomcat) and more. Time to move on to PHP like every other web developer out there.

Once I've done that and grokked a bit how to get PHP developed, I'll bring Mobdex back up.

-Russ
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert