Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
This.
DoubleShuffle? I haven't got the slightest idea what your response is supposed to mean. Would you care to elaborate?
Kathy
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmc13 View Post
DoubleShuffle? I haven't got the slightest idea what your response is supposed to mean. Would you care to elaborate?
Kathy
He was referring to the post above his.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He was referring to the post above his.
... which I was quoting in my post, thinking it would be obvious that way that I was signalling my agreement with it. It's what people do on message boards all the time.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #19
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I assumed that he was indeed referring to the message which he quoted. Most responses of that nature usually respond / reply with a more expressive single word, and most commonly, a full sentence to state agreement or disagreement.

THIS does not designate that you agree, nor disagree with all, part, or none of the above referenced statement, hence my bewilderment.

My apologies if my being obtuse has offended you.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I assumed that he was indeed referring to the message which he quoted. Most responses of that nature usually respond / reply with a more expressive single word, and most commonly, a full sentence to state agreement or disagreement.

THIS does not designate that you agree, nor disagree with all, part, or none of the above referenced statement, hence my bewilderment.

I just figured you were fairly new to forums. So I don't think anyone was offended.
I have seen arrow up THIS. in many forums but it is not real common.
Oh and Welcome to Mobileread.

I think most if not all of us can be obtuse at times.
If you want a good laugh. I totally missed a word in a post today. Hence the answer I gave was totally and completely wrong. I had read Amazon App Store as the Amazon store.

Good luck with your home school project.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 02-14-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Advert
Old 02-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #21
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Cromag -
- Love the turtle
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #22
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It doesn't seem your apologies are addressed at me, but I'll accept them anyway.

I am a bit bewildered, though, how my message could be misunderstood. Firstly, I have really seen it used quite often on message boards. Secondly, understanding that you have never come across it, would anyone really write "this" as shorthand for "This I disagree with"?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
klmmc13
formatting student

Yes, DoubleShuffle, my apology was addressed to you.

After re-reading your post, and separating it from the one before it, I can, at last see your methodology and decipher your shorthand.
When you read the entire thread one post immediately after the other, your post, to me anyway, kinda feels like one of those guys in a 1960's movie that says "....Yeah, what he said! "

I try not to nitpick, especially in forums. At the end of a long day, I just couldn't be certain of your meaning. THAT's why I asked you to elaborate upon your answer.
Friends?

Kathy

Last edited by klmmc13; 02-15-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: ETA - spelling error
Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We're all friends here .

If you have any questions about the library, I'm the best person to talk to. Looking after the library is my job here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
After re-reading your post, and separating it from the one before it, I can, at last see your methodology and decipher your shorthand.
When you read the entire thread one post immediately after the other, your post, to me anyway, kinda feels like one of those guys in a 1960's movie that says "....Yeah, what he said! "
Yeah, the first time you see it, it can be a bit confusing, but +1, This, , QFT (quoted for truth) are all pretty common shorthand for "I agree with your comments" on most of the boards I frequent.

Not being a young whippersnapper, once I finally got a cell phone that could text, I rarely use shorthand. So I got the following fun conversation early on:

Me: Are you going to be home in time for dinner tonight?
Daughter: Y
Me: Why? Because I need to how many to cook for!!
Daughter: Yes
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Not to delve too far into the esoteric, but if an MR member contributes some intellectual property to the ebook -- say, an indexed table of contents -- wouldn't that affect the "public domain" status of the ebook?
Only if it was sufficiently original to be copyrightable in its own right. A table of contents certainly wouldn't meet that. A really good index might. Original glossary entries certainly would.

And some jurisdictions might give a typographical copyright in the particular layout of the ebook - e.g. the markup of the text.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Cromag - Technically, Yes it does IF the contributor states that they are claiming copyright on the material they have ADDED to the PD materials. (If I understand all this copyright regulations correctly)
Thanks,
Kathy

PS - Love the turtle
There's no need to claim copyright. Once it's put into fixed form, copyright automatically applies for any members of the Berne Convention.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Yeah, the first time you see it, it can be a bit confusing, but +1, This, , QFT (quoted for truth) are all pretty common shorthand for "I agree with your comments" on most of the boards I frequent.

Not being a young whippersnapper, once I finally got a cell phone that could text, I rarely use shorthand. So I got the following fun conversation early on:

Me: Are you going to be home in time for dinner tonight?
Daughter: Y
Me: Why? Because I need to how many to cook for!!
Daughter: Yes
My daughter short hands too. Sometimes she gets back a WHAT.
Then she translates.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #29
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Yes, DoubleShuffle, my apology was addressed to you.
Thanks.

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Friends?
Of course.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
WLDIK, TWTITCFM. IWCAF.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote