Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Stephen King's The Stand

Amazon sold it for $9.99 on July 7....its now at $8.99. I've requested a refund. On the Amazon discussion sites someone said it could be done. Its only a dollar, I know, its just the idea. And from now on I'll wait a couple of weeks before I download.....Sheesh! I should know better!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks DG! I wrote in for mine and got a $1 credit for future use.

For anyone else, here is the reply you'll receive:

Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us the price for "The Stand" by Stephen King.

Because we cannot give partial refunds for digital content, we do no offer price matches. However, I've issued a promotion of $1.00 to your Amazon.com account to be used on a future purchase of Kindle content. Please note, subscriptions are not eligible for promotional credits.

Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thank you for choosing Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There ya go!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recently finished reading The Stand and thought it was a very enjoyable (but long) book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recently finished reading The Stand and thought it was a very enjoyable (but long) book.
It is my all time favorite book. Its also to me, the scariest......because I can see the accidental biological spill happening. So easily. Well, that would definitely settle the problem of global warming, oil shortages and recycling, wouldn't it? A friend and I were once discussing the merits of living or dying immediately after a world wide nuclear war. I voted for incineration. He wanted to live. I couldn't understand why. He said he wanted to see what humanity would do, how it would survive. How it would re-build societies. It would be interesting......
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
The Stand (plus Terry Pratchett's Colour of Magic) was my first bought eBook. Didn't start reading it yet, but I will soon.

@JSwolf, what do you mean the book is long? Do you mean just that, or the book has some filler, or sluggish parts?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
The Stand (plus Terry Pratchett's Colour of Magic) was my first bought eBook. Didn't start reading it yet, but I will soon.

@JSwolf, what do you mean the book is long? Do you mean just that, or the book has some filler, or sluggish parts?

I know you meant this for Jwolf, and I'll be interested to hear his answer....for myself, the book WAS long, but because King went into so much background on the characters........which made the book so much more interesting.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The paperback edition is 11141 pages. That makes it long lengthwise. It's not just a simple "read it in one day" type book. I don't think it's full of filler or sluggish. Just that it's longer then most books out there as a single book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Good. It will be the first time I will read something from Stephen King (only watched some movies based on his writtings). For a moment I thought I made a bad choice. I liked the setting and I'm not afraid of long books (I tend to avoid short books, as a matter of fact).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Good. It will be the first time I will read something from Stephen King (only watched some movies based on his writtings). For a moment I thought I made a bad choice. I liked the setting and I'm not afraid of long books (I tend to avoid short books, as a matter of fact).

Next suggestion? "Night Shift" A collection of his earlier short stories. My second favorite of his.......well, it does tie with Salems 'Lot. His later books I don't care for. But his early ones.....masterpieces. IMHO, of course
Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now, it's time for you to start the Dark Tower series.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Now, it's time for you to start the Dark Tower series.

I read a lot of books others hate. So how can I say this without getting duck feathers all over me. I couldn't even begin to get into that series. However, there are so many love it,......
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I read a lot of books others hate. So how can I say this without getting duck feathers all over me. I couldn't even begin to get into that series. However, there are so many love it,......
I loved it but The Stand is still my fav. I started out reading but the books (I even had a 1st Edition of the first book) were released so far apart that I switched to audiobook tapes so that I could start from the beginning each time a new book came out (it would hav taken too long to re-read them).

I've listened to all but the last book multiples of times. When I joined Audible.com, every time they had a sale, I would replace the books again in a digital audiobook format.

I can never listen or read the series again now that I know the ending which broke my heart.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

I'm just the opposite, lubs me some short stories. In this one anthology, Legends, it has a Stephen King short based on the Dark Tower. "Little Sisters of Elutheria" in which the cowboy gets captured by these nursing monsters. Not monstrous nurses, but actual monsters who are nurses and in an order similar to Catholic nurses. It's a fun little romp with vampirism, cannabalism, gunfights, and lots of creepy roaches.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm just the opposite, lubs me some short stories. In this one anthology, Legends, it has a Stephen King short based on the Dark Tower. "Little Sisters of Elutheria" in which the cowboy gets captured by these nursing monsters. Not monstrous nurses, but actual monsters who are nurses and in an order similar to Catholic nurses. It's a fun little romp with vampirism, cannabalism, gunfights, and lots of creepy roaches.
I READ IT!! Great little story........