Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Carrying Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I don't understand the need for 4000 books, not even in 6 weeks. Don't you have a laptop or something which could hold your excess books while you travel?
Not if I'm on vacation. On vacation the rule is that the computer goes, or my wife goes, but not both. And I prefer her.

James - foolish, perhaps, but there it is

[And why shouldn't I put as much of my library as possible in one ebook? I shan't read all 4000 books - but I don't know ahead of time which ones I'll decide I want to read or consult. So, actually, I do need 'em.]
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Derek:

Yes. That's awsome.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It'd be nice if someone came up with a small carrying case for sd cards. Until then, they can be put into any number of little containers. Labeling them can also be a pain. Still, better than sorting through hundreds of pages to find a book.
This defeats the purpose of having a 4GB card doesn't it.

Why have 160GB hard drive in an iPod... well, so you can have your whole music library with you. The iPod provides very simple menu system to navigate through the library... you can do it by Type (music, audiobook, podcast, videos), Artist, Genre, Albums, Songs... you can create play lists, it indexs the list so as you scroll through it, or you can shuffle... even indicating what songs are shuffled. You can also build on the fly play lists.

This is all done with a simple LCD screen with a simple list/scroll/select type menuing system. I don't see any reason why that simple nav can't be provided on an eBook. Granted the screen is slower. Also, the JetBook provides mobilephone like Text entry including T9 style to search/navigate (granted it has an LCD screen.)

Bottom line, if the CyBook is going to support a 4GB SD card, they should support the ability to list/navigate/find with decent performance the number of books that amount of storage can handle. Do they not test this type of usability?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post
Not if I'm on vacation. On vacation the rule is that the computer goes, or my wife goes, but not both. And I prefer her.

James - foolish, perhaps, but there it is

[And why shouldn't I put as much of my library as possible in one ebook? I shan't read all 4000 books - but I don't know ahead of time which ones I'll decide I want to read or consult. So, actually, I do need 'em.]
You're right. Why stop at 4000? You should put all 7000 on there at the same time.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You're right. Why stop at 4000? You should put all 7000 on there at the same time.
Definatly a bonus to the Kindle. You can have your library in the cloud on only keep a few on the device. This way, the device is nice and fast with small menus and lists, but you have access to your full library if needed.

I wonder if you can search through your library that is in the cloud, or only what is local to the device.

Bob
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This defeats the purpose of having a 4GB card doesn't it.

Why have 160GB hard drive in an iPod... well, so you can have your whole music library with you. The iPod provides very simple menu system to navigate through the library... you can do it by Type (music, audiobook, podcast, videos), Artist, Genre, Albums, Songs... you can create play lists, it indexs the list so as you scroll through it, or you can shuffle... even indicating what songs are shuffled. You can also build on the fly play lists.

This is all done with a simple LCD screen with a simple list/scroll/select type menuing system. I don't see any reason why that simple nav can't be provided on an eBook. Granted the screen is slower. Also, the JetBook provides mobilephone like Text entry including T9 style to search/navigate (granted it has an LCD screen.)

Bottom line, if the CyBook is going to support a 4GB SD card, they should support the ability to list/navigate/find with decent performance the number of books that amount of storage can handle. Do they not test this type of usability?

BOb
I believe the cybook supports 2gb cards, not 4.

I said they should create better navigation for the library; I was just making a suggestion to make the books easier to manage in the meantime. See, I don't have the problem of having to go through a hundred pages to find the book I want to read, thought I'd share that with James.

Assuming they will ever do anything to improve library navigation is an awful big assumption, I'd like the damn thing to just do the things it's already supposed to do correctly - we really do not need lots of new features that also don't work like they're supposed to.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Do you mean something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEMORY-CARD-CARR...2em118Q2el1247

Derek
It's cheaper elsewhere.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's cheaper elsewhere.
Yesbut... It was the first place I even bothered to check.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #24
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Kindle - External Radio Links do not work Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Definately a bonus to the Kindle. You can have your library in the cloud on only keep a few on the device. This way, the device is nice and fast with small menus and lists, but you have access to your full library if needed.
This only works if you are within range of a Kindle server. AFAIK in urban/suburban USA. Not in the wilderness, not on the high seas, absolutely not in commercial aircraft (the Kindle transmits and the FAA don't like it), and not elsewhere in the World. Even if it is extended so that any mobile phone server is sufficient there's a lot of places where I might want another book that are not covered. When I took the Trans-Siberian Express from Ekaterinburg to Vladivostok (very interesting, but not a thrill-per-minute - you need things to read for the five and a half day trip) I had GSM phone connections for perhaps 3% of the travel time.

James - who needs books to stay sane while on the road
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #25
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962

Format Limitation

Quote:
Why stop at 4000? You should put all 7000 on there at the same time.
There is a format limitation preventing my putting my 7000 books into my Cybook - they're printed on paper. I only have 4000 in electronic form. I have not yet discovered a practical way of stuffing a paper book into my Cybook without scanning and text recognition, which is labour intensive.

One is reminded of the old joke "Farmer age 54, wants to marry a woman around 45. The woman should own a tractor. Please send a photograph of the tractor."

I have a wife, but maybe I should advertise for a girlfriend with a book scanner.

James - who remembers Heinlein's description of the ideograph for "trouble" - two women under one roof