Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
PDF Viewing(extra screen space) in Aura HD

i bought my kobo ereader few weeks back for pdf viewing. i convert my pdfs to landscape by k2pdfopt software to the exact dimensions of aura hd. but the page numbers consume some space.Is there a way to remove it and use all the space?? if not what height and width (in pixels) should i convert pdfs to get the best experience (i hate zooming) .
pls help
thanks in advance
rkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There are two additional reading programs you can add to your existing Kobo provided reading programs. These are still in the development process but are almost finished and
quite usable. There is an easy install program that will place older versions of both readers (CoolReader and KoReader) along with a Launcher program that has games and utilities. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1263_KO529.zip

You will want to download the current versions from:http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html
and:http://code.google.com/p/koreader-pa...downloads/list

The KoReader is the more mature port and started life as an improved PDF viewer for Kindles. Be sure and download the nightly build with "kobo" in its name.

Be sure to follow the instructions in the AltReader zip and make sure that the .png image files get processed by the Kobo software (Nickel) so that the launching tiles are on your home page. Then reconnect to your PC and complete the install by copying the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo folder.
The "Main" folder is the one that opens when you select the KOBOreader drive that will appear on your PC when you "Connect" with your USB cable.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

does this involve rooting the device?? if yes what should i make the width and height settings in k2pdfopt of the display for optimal space usage till i dont root my device ??
i also wanted to ask one more thing -why dont the pdfs on kobo aura hd's books section show all books with there filename.(sort by title,author etc are not helpful.is there a way around it)
pls help
thanks for the reply
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr View Post
does this involve rooting the device?? if yes what should i make the width and height settings in k2pdfopt of the display for optimal space usage till i dont root my device ??
i also wanted to ask one more thing -why dont the pdfs on kobo aura hd's books section show all books with there filename.(sort by title,author etc are not helpful.is there a way around it)
pls help
thanks for the reply
No "rooting " involved, the two additional reading programs are even started from your home page just like selecting a book or picture. The Kobo software is almost totally unaffected by the installation and use of the additional reading programs.

The two additional programs use a file browser so you see the files in their folders and with the titles you gave them, sorted alphanumerically, although there are options on that.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
rkr

thank you for your help
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Asinter
Asinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Help!!! My Aura HD seems to be frozen

I followed the instruction above but my reader seems to be frozen with 5 small square boxes on the screen. Is there anyway to restart the reader?
Thanks
Asinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinter View Post
I followed the instruction above but my reader seems to be frozen with 5 small square boxes on the screen. Is there anyway to restart the reader?
Thanks
Which instructions are you talking about? What was happening, what process were you doing when this happened? Also what kobo firmware version do you have?

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Asinter
Asinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Is there a way to factory reset my reader just using the physical buttons?
Thanks in advance
Asinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Is there a way to factory reset my reader just using the physical buttons?
Yes. The steps are:

- Power it off. If it is not responding, then hold the power slider in the off position for at least 20 seconds. This ensures it is off
- Hold the light switch down
- Slide the power switch over and release
- Release the light switch when the LED starts flashing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks
I am really interested in how this happened. The only time I've seen it posted about before is when the .png file were not processed by kobo's nickel program and added to the home page before the KoboRoot.tgz file was placed into the .kobo folder. Are you sure that the launcher and koreader .png images were processed and on your home page?

If you do the factory restore, you also should be brought up to date with the Kobo firmware when you login with their server or the desktop app.
(Having a pre-2.6.1 Firmware could be an issue as well)

Luck;
Ken
Ironically on the same day:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=24

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-08-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
I zoom my sized pdfs (using skim on the mac) to the width of the aura hd - and that zooms them in a bit, and pushes the page numbering away. Once you're zoomed on a page, you'll stay there from page to page.

Works great for me...
louden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
I just installed koreader on my Aura HD with firmware 2.8.1 - and I got into koreader - with what looked like a very basic text based file browser...

Opened a PDF - looks great!

The UI confused me a bit - but that took five minutes.

I think the best way to view PDFs is to first "skim" them down to the aura HD aspect ration, then ready them via koreader.

Looks awesome! If there's a guide as to how to making the cropping feature better - I'd look to goodreader on iOS.

Last edited by louden; 11-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
louden is offline   Reply With Quote