Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
ePub to new mobi problem

I upgraded my Kindle3 to read azw3 ebooks some time ago, and have some Amazon ebooks which show as azw3 files and work successfully. I have also converted ebooks I designed myself from ePub to azw3, and they have worked on the Kindle3.

This morning I converted an ePub book I designed and produced myself to new mobi with calibre, but when I tried to read it on the Kindle I got a message that it could not be opened, and that if it was bought from Amazon I should download it again.

What have I done wrong?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont use new mobi, use joint mobi or preferably azw3. IIRC some kindles barf when they come across KF8 with a .mobi extension.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kovid

I don't remember seeing joint mobi as a conversion option, but I'll look at it again.

The publisher I work for is not at all keen on publishing her books in azw3, so I thought I'd try providing a mobi version which (so far as I know) contains both the mobi and azw3 - like Kindlegen
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I don't remember seeing joint mobi as a conversion option, but I'll look at it again.
Preferences -> Conversion -> Output options -> MOBI output -> MOBI file type 'both'

This will create a Kindlegen-like mobi with both MOBI6 and KF8 parts.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, mbovenka. It works well. The ancillary file on my upgraded Kindle3 is a han file, so it must have read the azw3 part.

I've just realised that if I want to test an old style mobi on my Kindle3 I'll have to do an old conversion, then delete that file and its mbp file and put the both mobi file on the reader.
Advert