Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
buscon
buscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it is

Device: Kindle touch
Very big mobi file

Hi,

I have a problem converting some pdf: for some reason the resulting mobi is very big (pdf is 6mb, resulting mobi is around 80mb) and when i open in on my kindle touch the font is very little and nothing happens if I try to modify it.

They are single column books, some images and nothing so fancy in them...

My calibre is version 0.8.64

Last edited by buscon; 08-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.
buscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscon View Post
I have a problem converting some pdf: for some reason the resulting mobi is very big (pdf is 6mb, resulting mobi is around 80mb) and when i open in on my kindle touch the font is very little and nothing happens if I try to modify it.
I'm guessing the PDF is an image based PDF. There are sticky posts at the top of every calibre sub-forum and there is a wealth of information. Start by reading the post titled "Read this before Posting PDF Questions."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
buscon
buscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it is

Ok, thank you for your answer.

In attachment there's the pdf i'm trying to convert.
It's actually not an image based pdf but text: for some reason calibre cannot understand it as text.
Can someone tell me why ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf final.pdf (5.76 MB, 2871 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Every page is an image

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscon View Post
Ok, thank you for your answer.

In attachment there's the pdf i'm trying to convert.
It's actually not an image based pdf but text: for some reason calibre cannot understand it as text.
Can someone tell me why ?
Not a pdf expert, but had a quick look at your file.
Every page is actually an image - not text.
Sure, the image shows text, but it is an image.
Could be because a paperbook was scanned, every page was saved as an image, instead of using OCR software to do "text recognition"
Cheers, Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
buscon,

I’m fairly familiar with PDF, but definitely not an expert.

If you open “final.PDF” and do a copy/paste into MS Word, you have a page of text that can be edited, spell-checked, searched, saved as a Word document or saved as HTML.

So, it behaves like an OCR scan.

My conversions to EPUB and MOBI produced the same wide margins and tiny text that you mentioned. However, after converting to EPUB format, I opened the EPUB container and it has PNG files, which is an image file type.

So, after conversion it behaves like an IMAGE!

It has me stumped, which is easy to do.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
buscon

The pdf is the result of an ocr conversion done with acrobat pro.
What should I do to obtain a pdf with text and not images ?