Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
jfs999
jfs999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question adding table of contents to html files

I have a (very) large HTML file that has a very large number of :hx headings that I need to include in a table of contents. Is there an easy way to build the table? Normally, we'd use our HTML editor, but we're having problems with it - it keeps inserting tons of extra, unnecessary code into the file that has to be stripped out before we can process the final file.

I want to keep the file output as HTML so that we can continue to edit it.

Thanks!!
John
jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
I'm assuming you want to do this via the Calibre conversion process, so I moved it to the appropriate subforum. If you don't want to use Calibre, you're probably better off asking here or here.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Convert it to .mobi first. If your headings are <h1> <h2> or <h3> and the text in the headings includes any of the words:chapter, part, epilogue, prologue, section or book; then the default structure detection will catch those and create a TOC at the end of the book (you can tweak the Xpath expression if it doesn't to to include the appropriate trigger words, or make it use various <p> classes instead to get the TOC created).

Then convert the .mobi back to HTMLZ, and you can then move the TOC part from the end to wherever you want it.

That's the simplest automatic method I've found.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote