Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
New Kobo eReader tablet?

Quote:
What's this mystery e-reader? It's the Kobo Vox, and it just made its debut on the FCC's site. Is it a reworked version of the relatively recently released Touch Edition? Is it a brand new reader from the company? The device is listed as being an "eReader Tablet," so perhaps it's something more akin to Barnes & Noble's Nook Color or the Kindle tablet reportedly in the works from Amazon.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Heh, I called a possible Kobo Tablet a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't take any genius skills to predict that, however. Once Amazon ships its tablet, Kobo would have been the only one of the Big Five booksellers, ( Apple, Google, Amazon, B&N are the others) without a tablet. I'm sure Kobo sells ( or wants to sell), magazines, comics, and children's books as well.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
All their devices are very simple to use, having very little buttons/features so why would they make a "tablet" that could be semi hard for some folks out there.

I've heard people that have trouble using a ipad which is suppose to be the "easiest" tablet to use

Last edited by wes101; 09-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
All their devices are very simple to use, having very little buttons/features so why would they make a "tablet" that could be semi hard for some folks out there.

I've heard people that have trouble using a ipad which is suppose to be the "easiest" tablet to use
WHAAAT!

I personally know of one parent who says his four year old can navigate on the father's iPad. YouTube is full of toddlers using iPads . Tablets are most certainly not "semi hard" for the average user.

As for why a Kobo Tablet, see my post above.
I don't see it replacing the e-ink reader, BTW. Juist like B&N and Amazon, Kobo will have both tablets AND e-ink readers, so rest easy.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
WHAAAT!

I personally know of one parent who says his four year old can navigate on the father's iPad. YouTube is full of toddlers using iPads . Tablets are most certainly not "semi hard" for the average user

I don't see it replacing the e-ink reader, BTW. Juist like B&N and Amazon, Kobo will have both tablets AND e-ink readers, so rest easy.
The average user is not what im talking about its the people who buy a mac because they think its easier to use.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Another reality check here. Kobo, scrappy and ambitious as it is, is a very, very small company. It would be an incredibly expensive investment to launch a tablet at this stage of the market. They are busy building out their platform and interconnecting all the bits (and doing a great job).

I'd guess Kobo Vox is an evolutionary step: an eink reader with sound capability which may facilitate mp3s, background music or efficient playback of audiobooks. I would not expect a tablet in 2011.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Another reality check here. Kobo, scrappy and ambitious as it is, is a very, very small company. It would be an incredibly expensive investment to launch a tablet at this stage of the market. They are busy building out their platform and interconnecting all the bits (and doing a great job).

I'd guess Kobo Vox is an evolutionary step: an eink reader with sound capability which may facilitate mp3s, background music or efficient playback of audiobooks. I would not expect a tablet in 2011.
They describe it as a " Reader Tablet". Doesn't sound like an eink reader to me. Come on, SP, you've got to believe in your fellow countrypersons. O Canada ! Go maple leafs A!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
They describe it as a " Reader Tablet". Doesn't sound like an eink reader to me. Come on, SP, you've got to believe in your fellow countrypersons. O Canada ! Go maple leafs A!
I think you mean 'eh,' not A.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
In the realm of wild speculation...Pixel Qi? Kobo was in talks with Notion Ink at last year's CES.

At the other end of this particular rumour http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...lears-the-fcc/

Quote:
It’s my guess that this is a device that Kobo worked on and then decided not to release. I suspect that Wistron sent it through the FCC becuase they have a business partner that is interested.

Last edited by taming; 09-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
I think you mean 'eh,' not A.
What are you talkin' aboot?

A Kobo tablet would be interesting to see. I imagine it'd be rather simple to use.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm still reeling at the thought, a few posts above, that anyone would let their 4-year-old within grasping range of their iPad!

Then again, I was walking in front of the first row of the theater yesterday and nearly stepped on someone's iPad, on the floor in front of their seat. So, go figure!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Boy, was I wrong! The Kobo Vox really is a tablet, not an enhanced touch screen ereader. Looks like it will have a very nice implementation of Reading Life and Pulse, the enhanced social networking tool that Kobo announced at Facebook f8 last week.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Not much in the way of details, yet--not even what flavour of Android. Nothing even mentioning a browser, though it comes with Twitter and FB preloaded. I'm thinking more enhanced book reader with an emphasis on social media, but who knows.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
pvs
pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini
Looks interesting, at least it comes with a SD card slot. My main problem with the Kindle Fire is the lack of a SD card. I'm hoping for a IPS screen, I didn't like the screen on the iconia 7" A100 tablet.
pvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Here's a leak with pictures: source.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote