Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
hiperlink
Enthusiast
hiperlink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi only
ebook-convert error on PDF output without X

Hi all,

I'm running a headless server to convert some recipes to .mobi which works just fine.

Now I wanted to convert e.g. modoros.recipe to PDF on the same server, and I had got:

Code:
The cover image has an id != "cover". Renaming to work around bug in Nook Color
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 58, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/cli.py", line 282, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1033, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/output.py", line 90, in convert
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/output.py", line 119, in convert_text
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/output.py", line 122, in write
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 116, in __init__
Exception: Not OK to use Qt
Using this command:

Code:
ebook-convert "${RECIPE}" "${RECIPE_NAME}.pdf" \
 --smarten-punctuation  \
 --change-justification justify \
 --paper-size a4  \
 --pretty-print  \
 --preserve-cover-aspect-ratio  \
 --insert-blank-line  \
 --margin-bottom 72.0  \
 --margin-top 72.0  \
 --margin-left 72.0  \
 --margin-right 72.0  \
 -vv \
 --debug-pipeline debugdir/pdf \
 | tee debugdir/pdfdebug.log
What am I doing wrong? Or do I really need X and Qt for CLI conversions to PDF?
hiperlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You really need QT. X is not a requirement that I'm aware of, but the conversion engine uses some of QT's image handling libraries.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum.

As far as I know, Calibre needs X to be installed for just about everything because of some common Qt functions. There are some notes in the FAQ that may be of help to you.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You don't need a full X server installed you can use xvfb to allow Qt to run. PDF output for instance uses Qt for creating the PDF files. A number of other parts (MOBI output) will check for X / Qt and skip the processing steps that require it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote