Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Fictionwise workarounds no longer working

Seems as if Fictionwise has changed something in their systems to detect non-US buyers when paying with a CC and using valid US addresses.

Just tried purchasing a 100% rebate book using my CC and got the following message:

Quote:
PAYMENT UNSUCCESSFUL
Order #Fxxxxxxxx could not be completed due to the following reason:

Your purchase location does not match the address for your payment type.
Guess that puts an end to that.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You could try using a US proxy when doing the purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Seems as if Fictionwise has changed something in their systems to detect non-US buyers when paying with a CC and using valid US addresses.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You could try using a US proxy when doing the purchasing.
I am a little hesitant to use a proxy when entering in credit card info. It *should* still be encrypted using Fictionwise's certificate, but better safe than sorry, eh?
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina

Guess I will no longer be buying from Fictionwise.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A VPN might be better
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
fastesthamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
A VPN might be better
Well, I just tried using Tor (http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en) and still no luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastesthamster View Post
Well, I just tried using Tor (http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en) and still no luck.
The error message is not new. In a few cases Fictionwise does indeed check the ip-address. This happened to me once last year.
Try using alwaysvpn (www.alwaysvpn.com, $8,50). It seems a lot of websites filter on the ip-addressen from free proxy and vpn services.
I use alwaysvpn for Fictionwise and B&N, until now without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
fastesthamster

Quote:
Okay, looks like Tor will work if I set valid exit nodes. however, there don't seem to be many American servers (TONS of German ones)

Anyone have the fingerprints of a few reliable American exit nodes?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
fastesthamster

Quote:
Okay, looks like Tor will work if I set valid exit nodes. however, there don't seem to be many American servers (TONS of German ones)

Anyone have the fingerprints of a few reliable American exit nodes?
https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index...tryCode&SO=Asc

Just bought a book. Not the fastest server in the world, but I (and Fictionwise) am back in business
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I've not renewed my fictionwise club membership this year as it's become increasingly difficult to get books due to geographical restrictions. Even though it's not directly their fault they're just applying the restrictions they've been told to they've lost my business due to this.

I wouldn't use any kind of proxy to work around this. Man in the middle attacks can be used even on an SSL connection. You're risking the theft of your C.C details and other personal information even though you may get the book you purchased. Whilst you should be able to detect when this is happening, it's not "obvious" unless you really know what to look for.

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/910

Personally I wouldn't touch proxies with a barge poll. Let fictionwise lose money, don't put yourself at risk. Besides, if you buy books that have geographic restrictions, Authors/publishers will not see a drop in income and have no incentive to sign world wide deals.

Last edited by JoeD; 02-22-2010 at 11:51 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You are right, the Fictionwise membership isn't worth it anymore.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote