Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Hanvon N516 review

I just posted part 2 of the review over on my blog. I think it's worth a read.
Quote:
Original Firmware

When using the default firmware (v1.7), the N516 scores a 1 out of 3. It has no sleep mode, and it can’t read a popular format. In fact, it’s really not very good at reading ebooks. My unit only supported HTML, TXT, and PDF. The HTML was completely unusable; all of the tags were ignored. The PDF was marginal (on a 5″ screen). And the txt is text.

Open Inkpot Firmware

My reading experience improved greatly after I installed OI. Open Inkpot uses FBReader as its reading software, and all of FBReader’s features were implemented: page margin, line spacing, font choice & size, justification, everything. It’s difficult to convey how many options FBreader has, but I can say that it will satisfy the pickiest user.
My Recommendation

I still think the Jetbook is better, but if you get the N516 then you should install Open Inkpot. It’s worth it. If it were available, I’d use the OI firmware on my Jetbook.
I'm still trying to find the right level of detail to include in a review. If there is too much detail, then the review is too long. Too little detail, and it's shallow. I think this review is about right. If you think there's something I missed, please let me know.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Nate I have but 2 minor points to make sir.

One, you do this community an incredible service. Please, don't stop anytime soon.

Two, I'd say what you posted was right on the money. Short, sweet, informative.
With a link to more information for anyone interested.

Thanks!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am very happy with OpenInkPot on my EZ Reader (Hanlin V3). The 0.2 version has never crashed for me, and I use it every day. There are other EInk devices using FBReader, notably those from PocketBook and Onyx.

FBReader starts from a "reader is right" perspective, and this means that much of the publisher provided styling is ignored. At one time all CSS was ignored, but now some is honored in ePub and it isn't always clear what will be used and what will not. Still, ePub is my preferred format with FBReader.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader starts from a "reader is right" perspective [...]
+1. My first ebook experience was with FBReader on an EeePC 701. Now I have an N516, and under OpenInkpot it does almost exactly what I want.

It's difficult not to feel superior when reading about people editing their ebook files to change the margins or font size to suit their taste :-).
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Same here. I am an absolute fan of FBReader compared to Adobe Viewer (both are available on my 360° for viewing ePubs). I want that book to look like I want and not how Adobe imposes it to me!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Great info, I kept meaning to do a review but DIY is ruling my life right now.

I left a comment but I'll note it here too that if you install one of the newer daily builds of OpenInkpot, you can also use Coolreader to open books as well as FBReader.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
webber
webber began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
nice review, il be sure to use lots of this for my website so thanks in advance :P (il be sure to link to you )
webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is there a 6" e-ink device that uses Open Inkpot/FBreader?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Yes. The Hanlin V3 (and clones)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Pocketbook uses FBReader in its official firmware (beside the Adobe software)
Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I have a clon of Hanvon N516, the Scriba 150. I'm thinnking about putting openinkpot firmware on it, but I'm worried about my clumsinness and lack of knowledge about this (english is not my native language, and it's hard to me to understand some explanations, so sorry about my spelling). Does it work well?
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
I have a clon of Hanvon N516, the Scriba 150. I'm thinnking about putting openinkpot firmware on it, but I'm worried about my clumsinness and lack of knowledge about this (english is not my native language, and it's hard to me to understand some explanations, so sorry about my spelling). Does it work well?
It works very well.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Yes, I'm very happy with it. I've been "stuck" with it for months. (I can't re-flash the original firmware). If you're happy with FBReader, you should be happy with OpenInkpot. (E.g. no DRM. You can install FBReader on your computer to give it a try)

The UsersGuide on the wiki is accurate, at least about the book-reading features you can expect. (The images are a bit unreadable, but they get bigger if you click on them).

I wouldn't use Calibre with it, at least to start with. Calibre is somewhat unsubtle when it comes to converting e-books. The default settings appear to force justification but prevent hyphenation, which can get rather ugly.

There's one crash bug I noticed in 0.2 - FBReader crashes when a hyperlink is too wide to fit on the screen. It's fixed in the unstable version 0.3-rc1.

The hardest part is installing OpenInkpot. As the FAQ says, it's not possible to "brick" the device. But some people find they can't re-install the original firmware. Nate had to try several times before the installation succeeded; we don't know why. Judging by the forums, many people seem to be using it. AFAIK no-one has reported complete failure. So any risks are currently theoretical.

I'd worry more about the possibility of being stuck with the original firmware :-). The original firmware may have DRM support and a sound recorder, but apart from that it's strictly inferior.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
LtChambers
LtChambers is on a distinguished road

Device: Azbooka 516
Another vote for OpenInkpot. Not only is the interface vastly superior to the stock one, but one of the developers talked me through installing it on IRC. That's quality service.
LtChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Yes, I'm very happy with it. I've been "stuck" with it for months. (I can't re-flash the original firmware). If you're happy with FBReader, you should be happy with OpenInkpot. (E.g. no DRM. You can install FBReader on your computer to give it a try)

The UsersGuide on the wiki is accurate, at least about the book-reading features you can expect. (The images are a bit unreadable, but they get bigger if you click on them).

I wouldn't use Calibre with it, at least to start with. Calibre is somewhat unsubtle when it comes to converting e-books. The default settings appear to force justification but prevent hyphenation, which can get rather ugly.

There's one crash bug I noticed in 0.2 - FBReader crashes when a hyperlink is too wide to fit on the screen. It's fixed in the unstable version 0.3-rc1.

The hardest part is installing OpenInkpot. As the FAQ says, it's not possible to "brick" the device. But some people find they can't re-install the original firmware. Nate had to try several times before the installation succeeded; we don't know why. Judging by the forums, many people seem to be using it. AFAIK no-one has reported complete failure. So any risks are currently theoretical.

I'd worry more about the possibility of being stuck with the original firmware :-). The original firmware may have DRM support and a sound recorder, but apart from that it's strictly inferior.
What version of fbreader does open inkpot use?