Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Can't get ePub onto iPad

I've confirmed that the iPad 2, Calibre, iTunes, and Windows 10 are all fully updated. I've tried wireless and USB transfers. I made sure to install the iOS reader applications plug-in.

I cannot get books transferred. Most attempts are getting errors about the file format. Stanza just gives 404.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza does not work under iOS 10. Best you can do with Stanza is to delete it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza does not work under iOS 10.
Then I guess that it's a good thing that the OP's iPad 2 can't run iOS 10.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stanza doesn't work with iOS 9 as well. I don't recall which iOS stopped Stanza from working (when it did work, it worked poorly), but it was before iOS 9.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

It's not just Stanza that's the problem. NOTHING is getting my ePubs over to the iPad, and the problem is allegedly the file format. I've tried iTunes, I've tried Calibre Companion, and if I knew what directory iBooks or whatever would be looking in, I'd just use Windows Explorer to manually load the files via USB.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
My iPad2 (got it in 2011) now has iOS 9.3.5 and won't update past that. Earlier today I transferred 1000 ePubs to it using Calibre Companion (as wireless device) and am able to open books in iBooks. The process was very straightforward but slower than my newer iPad Air. You might want to check CC Help and FAQ for trouble shooting pointers
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
It's not just Stanza that's the problem. NOTHING is getting my ePubs over to the iPad, and the problem is allegedly the file format. I've tried iTunes, I've tried Calibre Companion, and if I knew what directory iBooks or whatever would be looking in, I'd just use Windows Explorer to manually load the files via USB.
My iPad Mini is first generation and is running iOS 9.3.5.
Stanza app is version 3.2.
iTunes is version 12.1.3.6
As a test, I just used iTunes to move an ePub into Stanza via USB. Worked without a problem.

Try this good old USB method to eliminate any networking or cloud complications:

- Select a book that opens up okay in the calibre E-book viewer.
- Drag a copy of the ePub to your desktop.
- Connect your iPad to your PC via USB, run iTunes and select Apps.
- Scroll to the "File Sharing" section towards the bottom of the app list.
- Select "Stanza" and drag the ePub from your desktop into Stanza.

This should work. Stanza 3.2 does run with iOS 9.3.5.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Even if Stanza can be made to run on more recent iOS versions it still has issues that will never be fixed, and there are lots of alternative eReader apps available on iOS. My personal favourite at the moment is Marvin which is still being actively developed and supported.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
Seanette
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
My iPad2 (got it in 2011) now has iOS 9.3.5 and won't update past that. Earlier today I transferred 1000 ePubs to it using Calibre Companion (as wireless device) and am able to open books in iBooks. The process was very straightforward but slower than my newer iPad Air. You might want to check CC Help and FAQ for trouble shooting pointers
Already tried everything I can find in there. No joy.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #10
Seanette
Addict

Update: somehow, all the *.epub files in my Calibre library had gone bye-bye. Thankfully, I had a reasonably current backup.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Stanza is never going to be updated and it's buggy. So get a better app and forget Stanza exists.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I miss Stanza. It might've been buggy (although I never had issues) but I preferred the way it displayed lists of books over any of the (many) readers I've used since its demise.

Marvin is the closest I've come (as far as my preferences go).
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I miss Stanza. It might've been buggy (although I never had issues) but I preferred the way it displayed lists of books over any of the (many) readers I've used since its demise.

Marvin is the closest I've come (as far as my preferences go).
I would never used as bad a program as Stanza. Just because it has a nice way of displaying the books it has access to is no reason to overlook is flaws, quirks, bugs, shortcomings, and problems. The idea is to read.And if the program doesn't displays the books properly, it's a program I won't use.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #14
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Ah, well, as I said, I never had any issues at all (I just read books; no notes, no bookmarks, just...reading). I also didn't have any other apps (apart from std) on my iPhone, so I don't know if that helped me

If I didn't use any reader because I didn't like the way it displays the index/list, I'd be still be using paper books. I've pretty much accepted that my requirements aren't "mainstream" so I just go with the flow. I've been ebooking since my Palm III, so I can cope with change and not getting my own way.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote