Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Speed Reading Apps

Has anyone any experience of using speed reading apps ?

For example I saw this one;

https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id778846279?mt=8

As I have hundreds of books waiting to be read, speeding up my reading maybe the only way of getting through them all before I'm 150 !

This seems to be slanted towards reading websites and documents rather than books ?

Do they work or are they just a gimmick ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Speed Reading Apps

I have used a couple - Quickreader and Fastr. They help, to a point. My speed increased from about 250 wpm to 350-400 initially, but I can't seem to break that barrier. I do read websites and non fiction a lot faster than fiction, but that is because there is more skimming. That said, I did read more this past year than I ever have in my life, but I think it is more a matter of carving out time for it and blocking out other distractions.

Here is another thread about this from not long ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222963

Last edited by MeSue; 02-23-2014 at 11:36 AM.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I have used a couple - Quickreader and Fastr. They help, to a point. My speed increased from about 250 wpm to 350-400 initially, but I can't seem to break that barrier. I do read websites and non fiction a lot faster than fiction, but that is because there is more skimming. That said, I did read more this past year than I ever have in my life, but I think it is more a matter of carving out time for it and blocking out other distractions.

Here is another thread about this from not long ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222963
Thanks for that I missed that thread.

I agree with one or two of them, I would only speedread for basic info. To me, to speedread a book I am reading for pleasure would destroy all it's enjoyment.....reading slowly immerses me into the story.

So I think I will forget that download !!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I do think it's worth trying out some of the speed reading training tools online, many of which are free. It doesn't hurt to teach yourself to read chunks of words instead of one word at a time and to train your brain to stop "sounding out" what your eyes are reading.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Thanks for that I missed that thread.

I agree with one or two of them, I would only speedread for basic info. To me, to speedread a book I am reading for pleasure would destroy all it's enjoyment.....reading slowly immerses me into the story.

So I think I will forget that download !!
Thanks for linking the thread too. I appreciate it. I find that app very interesting because I totally need that! And I am honestly serious about reading quicker because I wouldn't be able to get more books done.

I like the style of outread, it's like you would tend to read faster without noticing great effort on your part and that technique usually works for me.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Thanks for linking the thread too. I appreciate it. I find that app very interesting because I totally need that! And I am honestly serious about reading quicker because I wouldn't be able to get more books done.

I like the style of outread, it's like you would tend to read faster without noticing great effort on your part and that technique usually works for me.
Well we are all different, and I wonder if each persons brain has an optimum speed in which it can assimilate and retain the words, and beyond that speed the words are lost.

Just as different people speak at different speeds. Some so fast it's difficult to understand and keep up with them. Does this mean that part of the brain, of these people, works faster than ours ?

Whoops, I think maybe I should posted this under "General Discussions" ?