Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #301
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am right on track with my goal. I had hoped to get some sort of a buffer built-up for the inevitable months where I am not able to read as much as I would like, but it so far hasn't happened.

18 books down, 3,500+ pages finished.

Here are my up-to-date reading stats and page count projection:
Edit: Removed, see my goal post for up-to-date chart.

Updated my 2012 Goal post.

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-04-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: removed broken image
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #302
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Sweet chart, Dazrin! Man, now I want to do one. I'm such a data junkie it's a small miracle that I don't already have one.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #303
MrTenzin
MrTenzin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm hoping to read around 50-75 books this year.
And hopefully, I'll read the Game of thrones series (released till now).
MrTenzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #304
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I think I managed to tinker with my signature enough to get the Goodreads bit - hopefully pointing to my challenge page, not the one of anyone viewing it! - included as well.

In any case, 15 books / 12% ahead of schedule, woot. I'm reading a 7000+ location book now, so that will probably take a little longer, but at the current rate, I should make my goal easily even with the occasional longer book (should I come across any that appeals enough) included.

And I really need a break from teen vampire series now. :-/
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #305
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Sweet chart, Dazrin! Man, now I want to do one. I'm such a data junkie it's a small miracle that I don't already have one.
Thank you! I figured out how to share a live chart from my reading tracker spreadsheet (here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=73).

If anyone want to use that (or their own google spreadsheet), just select the chart you want to share, select "Publish Chart..." from the drop down that appears in the upper left corner, then select "Select a publish format: Image". That will give a URL that you can use with the image tags here. (Strip off everything in front of and including the first quote mark (") and after the last one to get it to work with the image link here.)

Here is another chart showing some of last years data (pages/month): DELETED obsolete chart

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-16-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Updated chart
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #306
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Polished off a Mercedes Lackey, her books seem to be just ok not great or bad simply ok. I am going to read the first book I have ever read by Robert Buttener called Overkill next, hope this is a great one.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #307
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Your 2012 Gooreads icon takes me to my challege, not yours .
Thanks for the heads up! I fixed it.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #308
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Question for the collective wisdom here: Do we count books "read" via audible or other audio books as books read? Or not? I can imagine arguments both ways, but my inclination is to add them into my read list. I don't get a chance to listen to books nearly as much as I used to, when I had a horrible commute, but I still enjoy listening to well read audio books and sometimes choose to listen to a book rather than read it on my Kindle just because I know the author and reader are a good combination.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #309
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I plan on counting audio books in mine. I love to listen to books as I do yard and house work, as well as listening to them on commutes. I see the challenge as unique to each member and we each have our own way of setting up and completing our own goals.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #310
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I think that audio books should count.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #311
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Question for the collective wisdom here: Do we count books "read" via audible or other audio books as books read? Or not? I can imagine arguments both ways, but my inclination is to add them into my read list. I don't get a chance to listen to books nearly as much as I used to, when I had a horrible commute, but I still enjoy listening to well read audio books and sometimes choose to listen to a book rather than read it on my Kindle just because I know the author and reader are a good combination.
It really depends on the individual challenge, but in general, I think audio books should count, provided the "reader" actually listens to the whole thing.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #312
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I count audio books. After all, although the experience is not identical to reading it yourself, you have been through the whole book, and taken in all the same words. So it is fair to say you have "read" it, IMO.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #313
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Interesting. Well, I've got three more books, at least, to add to my Read list for the year. The aformentioned Restless in the Grave, Philip Pullman's The Tin Princess, and first Mistborn book, The Final Empire. Have to think if there are any others I finished this year.

Of these, the Mistborn book has been well described elsewhere, but the Philip Pullman book is the 4th in the Sally Lockhart series, though Sally plays only a very minor role. If you've read other Pullman books, and enjoyed them, you'll definitely like The Tin Princess. The first two books in the series, The Ruby in the Smoke, and The Shadow in the North, were adapted for TV by the BBC, staring Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart, and were shown in the US on PBS' Masterpiece Theater.

The Pullman books are very well read by Anton Lesser. The first three are still available, but The Tin Princess appears to not currently be available on Audible, though I have it available since I already bought it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #314
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It really depends on the individual challenge, but in general, I think audio books should count, provided the "reader" actually listens to the whole thing.
This is what I would say. If you are just using it for background noise, not so much.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #315
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished book #18 today. James Gleick's The Information. Quite entertaining. A couple of dull chapters, but overall well reading.

Only three more decades left to finish one of my challenges for this year pre-19th, 1930s, and 1950s. Only nine more letters left as well.

Way, way, way ahead of schedule having read almost 5,000 pages now. 36% of 50 books and it's only the second week of March now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote