Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #46
krzysiek
krzysiek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi, I've just installed it and I'm really impressed with it, there are lot of improvements over original amazon release, I like also navigation with shortcuts, it's really well-thought interface and seems it will be really useful upgrade for Kindle (pity I don't understand Chinese to know more features).

However I have one problem with pdf reflow feature: for any PDF I've tried after enabling reflow, I can see only text, all images in pdf are gone in reflow mode. I've tried few technical books (Cisco Press and other) and for all of them in normal pdf mode (no reflow) I can see images, but when I turn reflow, fonts change, so text is displayed very nicely but there is no images.

Anyone has idea if images are supported for pdf with reflow option?

Maybe someone who speak Chinese could ask on Duokan forum, please?

Thank you very much for you help

btw, installing it was really easy and without any problems
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #47
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Typically when you reflow a document it breaks it out of containers and makes width 100%
Images are placed on their own line following text containers (way at the end often)
Other columns/side containers will then later be displayed after the paragraphs have ended.
Are you sure the images are just omitted? They may be, because there is no way to show them properly when you reflow a document that isn't tagged for reflow, just like there isn't a way to properly show multiple column/table documents.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #48
krzysiek
krzysiek began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Typically when you reflow a document it breaks it out of containers and makes width 100%
Images are placed on their own line following text containers (way at the end often)
Other columns/side containers will then later be displayed after the paragraphs have ended.
Are you sure the images are just omitted? They may be, because there is no way to show them properly when you reflow a document that isn't tagged for reflow, just like there isn't a way to properly show multiple column/table documents.

Thank you for answering my question, I've already tried also tagged pdfs, added tags during creation and also tried to add tags to existing pdf with acrobat, but still no images in reflow mode.

I've looked all over pdf files (tagged ones also) and I couldn't find any image, even smallest one (those books also have some very small images, there are many small images like router, switch icons, some arrows, etc apart from bigger ones). The same pdf in normal mode displays all images, sadly even for DX screen fonts are too small for me to read and I wanted to avoid zooming all the time.

Also, maybe I enable this reflow wrong way? I'm pressing aA key and then "4". I can then change type and size of fonts to different but maybe I need to enable some other option as well?
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #49
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Looks like the combination (alt+shift+g) for making screenshots does not work or am I the only "unlucky" one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek View Post
Also, maybe I enable this reflow wrong way? I'm pressing aA key and then "4". I can then change type and size of fonts to different but maybe I need to enable some other option as well?
judging by the available translation, there're no additional options (yet?).
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Installed the latest Duokan on my K3 yesterday and must say i'm really impressed! Although i look forward to an English version, the Chinese version is totally usable for me after playing around with it for a while. I used the translations earlier in this thread to familiarize myself with some of the navigation/settings and learned the rest by experimenting.

This OS makes most of my pdf files much more readable with reflow -it's to pdf's for me what the new article mode is in the k3 web browser. Of course i'm not counting images or math notation which are still a problem...

I can easily see myself using Duokan as my main OS on the kindle hardware in the future, only booting into kindle OS for amazon drm'd books...

Between the upcoming english translation of Duokan and the FBreader port the Russian guys are working on right now I'm very excited about the flexibility of my Kindle(s) for the future!

BTW, does anybody know if it is possible to get rid of the star rating column?

Also, I'm not able to connect to my home wifi -found the wifi access point list, click on my network then there is a popup which i assume is for the password -enter that, wait a while and it does not connect... -can't seem to find any more detailed wifi network setup like on the kindle OS...

Last edited by jetfin; 10-20-2010 at 03:52 PM.
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #51
Lion__1
Lion__1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
is there any progress with the english translation? would be really great, can´t wait ;-)

And how´s about foreign character set? is it possible to read a german book, for example?
Lion__1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #52
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Duokan PDF reflow mode

I do not know why but on my kindle DX when in reflow mode, there is no spaces between words. I get lots of lines with connected words which makes them non-readable. I guess the reflow mode is tailored for chinesse pictograms
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #53
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
I installed v10 of Duokan but want to downgrade to v9 so I can install the English translations posted https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316.

Is there anything I need to uninstal or can I really just delete the DK_* folders in the root directory and copy the v9 ones to the device?

Another thing (sorry if the anser has been posted elsewhere), do we have to copy content to the DK_* folders to view/play it or can it be left in the default Kindle folders?
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #54
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
anyone know how to access the web browser on duokan? - using latest K3 beta.

i can connect to my wifi okay. (well i seem to be able to connect but then can't return to home screen on kindle hmm)

looked on the translated commands on page 3 of this but non browser command listed

ta

update

also seems wifi password does not seem to be saved - have to reenter each time

Last edited by avidworm; 11-05-2010 at 08:06 PM.
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #55
avidworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
I installed v10 of Duokan but want to downgrade to v9 so I can install the English translations posted https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316.

Is there anything I need to uninstal or can I really just delete the DK_* folders in the root directory and copy the v9 ones to the device?

Another thing (sorry if the anser has been posted elsewhere), do we have to copy content to the DK_* folders to view/play it or can it be left in the default Kindle folders?
i have used those English translations on V10 work okay no need to downgrade.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #56
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I've read the thread and even clicked on links but obviously I'm lost.

Is there a link to this firmware for Kindle3 download?

Any help would be appreciated.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #57
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

You can download Duokan v9 from http://u.115.com/file/f042df3f97

There are three (I think) download sites (mirrors).

Instructions are https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1
Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #58
Polvo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post
i have used those English translations on V10 work okay no need to downgrade.
Really? The folder structure looked different to me.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #59
avidworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
Really? The folder structure looked different to me.
the three folders needed - MenuConfig; Profiles and skin are there in version 10.

as the guys says in his post if you back these folders up you can always revert to original if things dont work out.

cheers
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #60
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
if I interprete the google translation correctly, the English translation for the Duokan's firmware may see the light of the day this evening.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote