Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Both links are correct. One is an alias of the other.
The URLs that I provided above were copied directly from the amazon firmware download page, so the 5.1.2 download link that I provided is "more correct" than any alternate alias URLs.

@dilo_sec: My download link still works. Did you try it before posting a "correction" for it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-18-2012 at 10:15 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
dilo_sec
dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

@dilo_sec: My download link still works. Did you try it before posting a "correction" for it?
Yes - I did try to d/l the 5.1.2 source from the link provided, and then direct from the amazon source code page - failed from FF and IE.

I then remade the URL to look like the other URLs - this worked.
dilo_sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #33
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried the original URL as I posted above (and on the amazon page). It downloaded with google chrome on win XP just fine. It seems odd that the "official" URL fails for you, but the modified URL works.

The original URL also downloaded fine using Firefox on linux mint 11.

And it downloaded fine using Internet Explorer on Win XP too.

I am curious why some amazon download links are not working for you. I cannot reproduce your download problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-19-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #34
dilo_sec
dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just tried the original URL as I posted above (and on the amazon page). It downloaded with google chrome on win XP just fine. It seems odd that the "official" URL fails for you, but the modified URL works.
Mystery solved! It was something I did a while back.

Explanation: Some time ago, when messing about with kindlegen and Kindle Previewer on the PC to see the mobi results (I did this a lot!) - I stopped KP wasting a few seconds auto checking for a more recent version every time KP was started - I did this by updating my firewall to block access to these sites:
kindlepreviewer.s3.amazonaws.com
s3.amazonaws.com

It explains why I cound not download from 's3.amazonaws.com', but downloading from 'kindle.s3.amazonaws.com' was ok.

Apologies to geekmaster wasting a bit of your time.
dilo_sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #35
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Kindle_src_3.4_1725970040.tar.gz
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
geekmaster

Where is the forsaken 5.2.0 GPL source code for the Paperwhite? I cannot find it.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I was just thinking the same thing.
(although I see they kindly replaced the 5.1.2 now since it's little while "missing")

Sort of nerfs the kexec work in the interim.
Spoiler:

(Edit: I did think of simply running a scripted set of http requests for http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/Kindl...0000000.tar.gz and simply incrementing the 1700000000 by one each time but it seemed a bit churlish)

Last edited by twobob; 10-11-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: 1700000000 1700000001 1700000002 1700000003
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #38
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
(Edit: I did think of simply running a scripted set of http requests for http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/Kindl...0000000.tar.gz and simply incrementing the 1700000000 by one each time but it seemed a bit churlish)
The PW version is Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065) so no need to brute-force the number. It's not up yet.
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinO View Post
The PW version is Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065) so no need to brute-force the number. It's not up yet.
hehehe. sweet. thanks

saved me 29740065 attempts. lol
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #40
twobob

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/Kindl...9740065.tar.gz =

Quote:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>tumTeeTum</RequestId>
<HostId>
blahDeBlah
</HostId>
</Error>
So, "Not up"? Unsure.
"Inaccessible?" Certainly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lawnmowerMan-face.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	93635  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #41
twobob

Okay. err... isn't it a legal requirement they release this? So why isn't it?
Thoughts on that? Likely timeline?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #42
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay. err... isn't it a legal requirement they release this? So why isn't it?
Thoughts on that? Likely timeline?
Yes.
No, the GPL does not say: "When".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #43
geekmaster

Perhaps they are waiting for a GPL enforcement notice from Eben Moglen and the FSF...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
twobob

I dig around in the FSF stuff for exactly this answer.
They don't seem very pro Amazon (putting it mildly) so perhaps one is "on the cards"...

Ho hum. Guess those helpful kernel headers will have to wait.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #45
twobob

And still the basket was bare...
*takes notes on avoiding GPL restrictions with no comeback*