Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecopperbaron View Post
Thanks for the update! I'll sit tight then for my KOA.

As a related note, my wife's KV updated to 5.9.2.0.1, but on that device KUAL continues to work following a reinstall of the booklet package.
It is strange indeed.
There seems to be no particular pattern to what works and what does not.

I will get enough things working so that my own (gifted) KOA2 can be used in ways not approved by Jeff Bezos.
Beyond that, I can't even guess what the future is for Kindle add-ins.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Is there any new feature in 5.9.x that would attract a user to upgrade to it from 5.8.11 which still works with KUAL? If not, it sounds like the best advice is to avoid updating at least until a solution is found.

If you have already been upgraded but are jailbroken and KUAL is important it should be possible to downgrade to 5.8.11 or another working firmware. I don't know if we have procedures documented for this, or if it is possible without serial port access.

Dave
Best way to downgrade to 5.8.11 for my original Oasis??
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Best way to downgrade to 5.8.11 for my original Oasis??
You can not use the serial port on an Oasis, because if it has one, nobody has found it yet.

The best way?
Like any other touch screen device (other than the KOA2 *), boot it to the 'diags' system and use that menu to install the earlier firmware.
There is a chance that even 'diags' mode has 'downgrade protection' - but the only way to find out is to try it.

* The KOA2 does not have a "diags system", it has a "diags mode" - -
One of the reasons there is a lot of work to getting things to run on the KOA2.

- - - - -

OR
Just wait for a KUAL replacement to be released.
You know that will have to be among the first things created, since almost all of our add-ins require a launcher.

Note:
You also have the ability to run a "RUNME.sh" script (of your own creation) from the search bar command:
;log runme

I even started a thread for the purpose of collecting example runme.sh scripts for various purposes.
I haven't check recently, but I think I am the only person who has contributed any examples.

Without contributions from members here, the era of useful add-ins for the grayscale Kindles has come to an end with 5.9.x

Last edited by knc1; 01-07-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #19
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can not use the serial port on an Oasis, because if it has one, nobody has found it yet.

The best way?
Like any other touch screen device (other than the KOA2 *), boot it to the 'diags' system and use that menu to install the earlier firmware.
There is a chance that even 'diags' mode has 'downgrade protection' - but the only way to find out is to try it.

* The KOA2 does not have a "diags system", it has a "diags mode" - -
One of the reasons there is a lot of work to getting things to run on the KOA2.

- - - - -

OR
Just wait for a KUAL replacement to be released.
You know that will have to be among the first things created, since almost all of our add-ins require a launcher.

Note:
You also have the ability to run a "RUNME.sh" script (of your own creation) from the search bar command:
;log runme

I even started a thread for the purpose of collecting example runme.sh scripts for various purposes.
I haven't check recently, but I think I am the only person who has contributed any examples.

Without contributions from members here, the era of useful add-ins for the grayscale Kindles has come to an end with 5.9.x
Very interesting. Thank you for that information.

I have one particular Kual extension that i really want - a showtime one and i can see inside the bin file that it says:

showtime.sh

In theory, how would i use this?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Very interesting. Thank you for that information.

I have one particular Kual extension that i really want - a showtime one and i can see inside the bin file that it says:

showtime.sh

In theory, how would i use this?
Copy it to /mnt/us/RUNME.sh

Then run it by doing a search on:
;log runme
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #21
poczynek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Copy it to /mnt/us/RUNME.sh

Then run it by doing a search on:
;log runme
Excellent thanks but I can't find anything in the root menu of the Oasis called mnt??
Old 01-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Excellent thanks but I can't find anything in the root menu of the Oasis called mnt??
/mnt/us is the root diretory of the partition that can be mounted on an external computer.

If your shell script is on an external computer, rename it as RUNME.sh and copy over USB to the root directory on the Kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #23
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Here is the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292382
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #24
Gary23
Gary23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3
If anyone can shed some light for KT3 I did everything except for the fact reading around the forums a bit more to finally find that Kual not working on the v5.9.2.0.1 firmware and I'm stuck with no Kual. Did a reset thinking I could backtrack from the previous steps, the firmware does never revert back to the original shipped. So, I guess JB broke, which I tried to do with many hotfixes and all, interesting fact is that the JB file, (the html zip file, installed via ;installHtml command, doesn't get installed and the dummy test file does not create any log files.

I guess the JB is broken. Anything that can be done to get it back, and why others are getting Kual working on the 5.9.2 version? OP should have marked to not upgrade to 5.9.2, it just says untested. Cool warning.
Gary23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary23 View Post
If anyone can shed some light for KT3 I did everything except for the fact reading around the forums a bit more to finally find that Kual not working on the v5.9.2.0.1 firmware and I'm stuck with no Kual. Did a reset thinking I could backtrack from the previous steps, the firmware does never revert back to the original shipped. So, I guess JB broke, which I tried to do with many hotfixes and all, interesting fact is that the JB file, (the html zip file, installed via ;installHtml command, doesn't get installed and the dummy test file does not create any log files.

I guess the JB is broken. Anything that can be done to get it back, and why others are getting Kual working on the 5.9.2 version? OP should have marked to not upgrade to 5.9.2, it just says untested. Cool warning.
Reinstall KUAL,
If one doesn’t work try the other one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #26
Gary23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Reinstall KUAL,
If one doesn’t work try the other one.
Tried multiple times, doesn't work. Even tried the latest one. Kual v2.7.2 booklet one. It's just a white screen without the toolbar, have to restart for the kindle to work normally. At firmware version 5.9.2.0.1 and trying to downgrade it, hopefully thinking for it to work this time. Don't know as of yet now. There's no way to downgrade from this firmware, it always detects it not up-gradable file.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

That is the expected results on 5.9.<anything>

You are stuck with using the ;log runme searchbar command and a custom RUNME.sh script in user storage to launch whatever it is you want launched until a KUAL replacement is released.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
Gary23

Quote:
That is the expected results on 5.9.<anything>

You are stuck with using the ;log runme searchbar command and a custom RUNME.sh script in user storage to launch whatever it is you want launched until a KUAL replacement is released.
Okay, so, I can use the extensions through the searchbar, and with a custom runme.sh shell script, but then I have already by mistake (okay I admit not by mistake, I knew the consequences yet thought it might work but didn't) reset the device twice. I guess the JB is broken, though don't know because I never tested the dummy before the update to 5.9.2.0.1 (it was just bought 2 days ago). So, the dummy test does not return anything at all. Kual I can install, but don't know if JB is still there or not. I can rerun or reinstall the 1.14N nomax hotfix on it and it runs well. Heck I even see the MKK keys written below (even now), I got Jailbreak written with stars initially (I mean on the 5.8.0 initial build). So, i don't know if JB is still there or not.

If anyone could confirm that the presence of MKK keys confirms it as JB or anything else that might confirm it, (oh wait, I guess I know, the hotfix never installed without the Html file installed first through the ;installHtml command, so I don't know if that means the JB is still alive or broken). I can still install the hotfix even now, only the nomax one.

If it is still alive, and working I would be able to work with the custom shell script then I guess.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

The "reset" erased the "jail break survival code" (that is: the bridge code and misc other things).
The installing the "hotfix" did two things:
1) Demonstrated that the jail break (certificate) is still there, since it installed.
2) Replaced the things erased by the "reset" (which is why the word "fix" is part of its name).

If you where using the document KUAL (*.azw3 file) - remove it
If you where using the booklet KUAL, run its uninstall package (it is in the KUAL archive).

There is a thread I started with example "RUNME.sh" scripts for various purposes, with the thought that other people would contribute what they found useful.
That hasn't happened (yet).
Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #30
Gary23

Quote:
The "reset" erased the "jail break survival code" (that is: the bridge code and misc other things).
The installing the "hotfix" did two things:
1) Demonstrated that the jail break (certificate) is still there, since it installed.
2) Replaced the things erased by the "reset" (which is why the word "fix" is part of its name).

If you where using the document KUAL (*.azw3 file) - remove it
If you where using the booklet KUAL, run its uninstall package (it is in the KUAL archive).

There is a thread I started with example "RUNME.sh" scripts for various purposes, with the thought that other people would contribute what they found useful.
That hasn't happened (yet).
Okay, thanks, Jailbreak is still there, but know that the dummy test does not return any logfile as it says it should. Second, Kual after uninstalling should I install it again?

Edit: Found the thread, that's all good. No one has submitted any scripts of their own. But then, can you give a simple go through for how to call the extensions through that script? So that one at least has a simple idea how to call the extensions? Let's say how to call out the helper extension.

Last edited by Gary23; 01-14-2018 at 10:57 PM.