Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
iTunes 11 + calibre: report issues here

I just downloaded and launched iTunes 11.0 (OS X). It seems to work fine with 'Connect to iTunes'. I haven't yet tried it with Windows.

After installing the update, launch iTunes and let it update its database before connecting to it with calibre.

If you discover any calibre-related problems or issues after updating to iTunes 11, please report them in this thread. Include your OS and version.

Edit: Just checked with Windows 7, all seems to be working there as well.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
All is OK here as well (Mac OS/X 10.8.2).

Phew.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
guifreitag
guifreitag began at the beginning.

not working with Win7, calibre 0.9.10 and iTunes 11.0.1.12

Just updated to the newest version of calibre (0.9.10) and iTunes (11.0.1.12) and it stopped working. I click Connect to iTunes and nothing happens, not even an error message. I'm using Win7 64.
guifreitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try running calibre as Administrator.

G
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
guifreitag

even if running as administrator..

... no deal. the menu item to send the book to my iTunes is disabled.

what kills me is i don't even get an error message.
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
GRiker

Run in debug mode to learn more. From a command prompt,
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Click 'Connect to iTunes', then capture the debug log and post it here.

The other likely solution is to reinstall iTunes.

G
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
guifreitag

Code:
calibre 0.9.10  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 2.05 seconds with 587 books
ITUNES_ASYNC.__init__()
 ITUNES_ASYNC._launch_iTunes():
  Instantiating iTunes
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 3216, in __init__
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2503, in _launch_iTunes
OpenFeedback: Unable to launch iTunes.
Try launching calibre as Administrator
Unable to open itunes as device (None)
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 372, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 3220, in __init__
UserFeedback: unable to launch iTunes
I'm runnign both iTunes and Calibre as Administrator. Same happens.

I'm updating calibre to 64bits right now, since I realized I had the 32 version. I'll post again if anything changes.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
GRiker

One other thing to try is rebooting.

G
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
guifreitag

Problem solved.

Updated calibre to 64bit version and rebooted. Now it works! Calibre was even able to open iTunes itself even not running as Administrator.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
GRiker

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad it's working for you.

G
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
mephistopheles
mephistopheles began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone5
Hi guys, I've been getting the following error message when connecting iTunes 11 to Calibre. I have the newest version of both. I've tried re-installing Calibre and iTunes, but get the same error.

calibre, version 0.9.11
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Command failed:
OSERROR: -1712
COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/iTunes.app').sources.ID(74).user_playlists.ID(1336 18).file_tracks.ID(134696).name.get()

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 470, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 3282, in books
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 642, in __call__
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 498, in __call__
CommandError: Command failed:
OSERROR: -1712
COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/iTunes.app').sources.ID(74).user_playlists.ID(1336 18).file_tracks.ID(134696).name.get()

Any advice/help?

I've noticed that the connection times out randomly; all its trying to do is update calibre with the number of books that are on/in iTunes.

Thanks Kindly.
mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
GRiker

Review the sticky Calibre + iDevices: Start here.

If iTunes is in the process of updating its database or it has a dialog up requesting something from you, this error could occur.

Close calibre, open iTunes with a connected iDevice, and make sure that all activities (sync, database update, etc) are completed.

Then open calibre and select 'Connect to iTunes'.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 12-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
jjpd19
jjpd19 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have just installed the last version of calibre and "conect to itunes" doesn't do anything at all. I'm using windows 8, itunes 11 and as I said the last version of calibre.

I've restarted calibre in debug mode and the report is this:

calibre Registro de depuración
calibre 0.9.13 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'post2008Server', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('post2008Server', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Qt: Untested Windows version 6.2 detected!
Starting up...
Key u'A' for shortcut Añadir archivos a los registros de libros seleccionados is already used by Añadir libros, ignoring
Key u'N' for shortcut Ir al objeto anterior is already used by Ir a la siguiente coincidencia, ignoring
Key u'F3' for shortcut Ir al objeto anterior is already used by Ir a la siguiente coincidencia, ignoring
Key u'Alt+T' for shortcut Alternar Navegador de etiquetas is already used by Libros con las mismas etiquetas, ignoring
Key u'Ctrl+F' for shortcut Iniciar búsqueda is already used by Búsqueda avanzada, ignoring
Key u'Alt+S' for shortcut Iniciar búsqueda is already used by Libros de la misma serie, ignoring
Started up in 8.96 seconds with 399 books
ITUNES_ASYNC.__init__()
ITUNES_ASYNC._launch_iTunes():
Instantiating iTunes
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 3216, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2503, in _launch_iTunes
OpenFeedback: Unable to launch iTunes.
Try launching calibre as Administrator
Unable to open itunes as device (None)
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 372, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 3220, in __init__
UserFeedback: unable to launch iTunes
ITUNES.shutdown()

Why calibre can't find itunes? How can I fix it? thanks everybody.
jjpd19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
GRiker

Try running calibre as Administrator. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling iTunes.

G
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
jjpd19
jjpd19 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thaks GRiker, it works! I did it before and didn't work. I don't know why. What it's important is that now, after reinstall itunes and calibre in this order, it worked as usual. Thanks a lot and Happy New Year!
jjpd19 is offline   Reply With Quote