Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
vne
vne began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to keep bookmarks after combining pdf files

All,

I have lots of books in pdf format with multiple files linked together by bookmarks. When combining those files using Adobe Acrobat Pro, bookmark links are broken. Any suggestion to solve this issue?

Thank you
vne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are two tools out there that I know of that can extract bookmarks and re-apply them. The one that I used is called PDFBookmark.

The second I came across today as I was googling 'PDFBookmarks' in order to provide you a link. This tool is called JPDFBookmarks and has both a command line and GUI.

The fist tool is an outrageously over priced shareware tool that works great, but for $250+ the price is just too much. I've paid far less money for software that had far more features.

JPDFBookmarks appears to work just as good (command line) was and is free.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does jPDFbookmarks work when combining files, =X=? Because I would have thought that the facts that the page numbers change (at least for the second+ file), and that there are two (or more) sets of bookmarks to handle would complicate matters. (I don't know why I'm asking... I should just try it for myself... just feeling a bit lazy.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
vne
vne began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There are two tools out there that I know of that can extract bookmarks and re-apply them. The one that I used is called PDFBookmark.

The second I came across today as I was googling 'PDFBookmarks' in order to provide you a link. This tool is called JPDFBookmarks and has both a command line and GUI.

The fist tool is an outrageously over priced shareware tool that works great, but for $250+ the price is just too much. I've paid far less money for software that had far more features.

JPDFBookmarks appears to work just as good (command line) was and is free.

=X=
Thx for replying, I'll try with JPDFBookmarks.
vne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Does jPDFbookmarks work when combining files, =X=? Because I would have thought that the facts that the page numbers change (at least for the second+ file), and that there are two (or more) sets of bookmarks to handle would complicate matters. (I don't know why I'm asking... I should just try it for myself... just feeling a bit lazy.)
Good point, I don't know I just kind of assumed the OP would do the work flow kind of like this
1) Back up the bookmarks to a text file.
2) Merge the PDFs,
3) Update the bookmarks to reflect the current pages
4) Then apply the bookmarks.

Both tools I listed have the ability to archive and apply bookmark from a text file.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
hesham
hesham began at the beginning.

A tool called PDF Workshop merges the PDF files and merges their bookmarks too at the same time + updates the bookmarks pages numbers. I think it may do the job.

But it is not free also($30).
hesham is offline   Reply With Quote