Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #301
kcladyz
Addict
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2 t, NOOK Samsung "A"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't read in public anyhow. It's an embarrassment to be known as a "reading creature" these days. \

I don't think so. I got an ereader for i was embarrassed that I did not read
Seemed like I was missing out on book conversations
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #302
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I always used to carry a paperback in my back pocket wherever I went. The only time it wasn't there was at home.

In high school (about 1954 I think) a teacher saw a copy of my current book "Peyton Place" in my hip pocket and sent me to see the principal. I was sent home and told I had to bring my parents with me to get back in. The next day my parents came and my dad kind of exploded, telling the principal it was none of their business. The book was my parents book. They'd finished it and I was reading it, which was fairly usual. They compromised. I got back to school with a promise not to carry anymore paperbacks in my pocket. I did that till I was finished with that book and went back to carrying them. Nothing was said.

I've always read when I'm in public with nothing to do. Except for that one time nobody ever paid much attention. I don't think it's something people care about unless they see me reading a book that interests them and then they might want to discuss it.

Barry
In high school I always had anywhere from 2 to 7 paperbacks at all times. I checked out library books every day. Years later, a friend asked why I carried so many books everyday. I gave him 3 reasons, 1)they put distance between me and whatever male wanted to sit beside me on the bus, 2) they made good hand slappers and 3 I read them.
He had to giggle. I never put the books between us and I never slapped his hands. I liked him. He never did anything inappropriate.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #303
rcentros
Grump
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: DFW, TX // Nook Simple Touch & ST w/GL, Kobo Touch, Kindle
Device: Keyboard, 4, Touch, Basic 8: Sony T2, 300, 350, 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I don't think so. I got an ereader for i was embarrassed that I did not read
Seemed like I was missing out on book conversations
I was trying to be facetious. Apparently I didn't succeed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM   #304
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
In high school I always had anywhere from 2 to 7 paperbacks at all times. I checked out library books every day. Years later, a friend asked why I carried so many books everyday. I gave him 3 reasons, 1)they put distance between me and whatever male wanted to sit beside me on the bus, 2) they made good hand slappers and 3 I read them.
He had to giggle. I never put the books between us and I never slapped his hands. I liked him. He never did anything inappropriate.
I would read in study hall back when I was in High School. I'd have to look up now and then to make sure I hadn't missed hearing the bell.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #305
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I always used to carry a paperback in my back pocket wherever I went. The only time it wasn't there was at home.

In high school (about 1954 I think) a teacher saw a copy of my current book "Peyton Place" in my hip pocket and sent me to see the principal. I was sent home and told I had to bring my parents with me to get back in. The next day my parents came and my dad kind of exploded, telling the principal it was none of their business. The book was my parents book. They'd finished it and I was reading it, which was fairly usual. They compromised. I got back to school with a promise not to carry anymore paperbacks in my pocket. I did that till I was finished with that book and went back to carrying them. Nothing was said.

I've always read when I'm in public with nothing to do. Except for that one time nobody ever paid much attention. I don't think it's something people care about unless they see me reading a book that interests them and then they might want to discuss it.

Barry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I would read in study hall back when I was in High School. I'd have to look up now and then to make sure I hadn't missed hearing the bell.
I have always read in public. I have never cared what strangers think either. I have always had a book with me. When I was in school I would hurry to my next class so I could read, a few minutes, before the second bell rang. My father was military and we did a lot of traveling. I always carried lots of books along. My maternal grandfather and one of my paternal uncles were ravenous readers. One lived in Illinois and the other in Georgia. When we visited one the two of us would swap books. Then I would do the same thing with the other.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #306
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have always read in public. I have never cared what strangers think either. I have always had a book with me. When I was in school I would hurry to my next class so I could read, a few minutes, before the second bell rang. My father was military and we did a lot of traveling. I always carried lots of books along. My maternal grandfather and one of my paternal uncles were ravenous readers. One lived in Illinois and the other in Georgia. When we visited one the two of us would swap books. Then I would do the same thing with the other.
Apache
Where in Illinois was that Apache? I started out in Northern Illinois myself. A little town called Rochelle. Mom is from Rockford and dad was from Durand.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #307
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My grandparents lived outside the little town of Neponset. Population 300. They were farmers. My mother went to a one room school until high school and then went to Galva high School. Most of the family is scattered around Kewanee.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #308
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So they were the early versions of the "smartphone family." My "step-mom" (my dad's wife after I had grown up and gone, so not really a "mom") came from a big Norwegian family in North Dakota. They didn't talk at the dinner table (which, I guess, is common among Norwegians). They would sit down and her dad would say, "Let's get this misery over with," and they would eat in silence. That was it.

Personally I think the dinner table should be a place to "catch up" with the family.
...have you eaten Norwegian food? Fish stored in Lye and then boiled doesn't appeal to me, either.

Shari

(Note: I'm being facetious. Please don't be offended if you are Norwegian, or if you like Norwegian food. I know that there is good and bad food in every culture, and what I consider to be "good food" may be what others consider disgusting. Tastes vary.)
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #309
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...have you eaten Norwegian food? Fish stored in Lye and then boiled doesn't appeal to me, either.

Shari

(Note: I'm being facetious. Please don't be offended if you are Norwegian, or if you like Norwegian food. I know that there is good and bad food in every culture, and what I consider to be "good food" may be what others consider disgusting. Tastes vary.)
I see your Norwegian and raise you a tripe.

*See Shari's note except change Norwegian to Mexican.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #310
rcentros
Grump
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: DFW, TX // Nook Simple Touch & ST w/GL, Kobo Touch, Kindle
Device: Keyboard, 4, Touch, Basic 8: Sony T2, 300, 350, 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari

I'm not Norwegian but we used to joke about lutefisk (which I think is what you're referring to). And you're right, it would be "misery" to eat that – at least for me.

The food she would cook would always be bland. My dad would try to spice it up a little and she would say "too hot, too hot." She was a rarity in her family, not a triplet or a twin. In her family there were three sets of twins and two sets of triplets (maybe only one set of triplets?) but a LOT of multiple births and a big family. Maybe that's why it was a "misery" for the dad.

My wife and I read a novel together when we first got married (it was one of her favorite writers at the time) and it was about a woman who became a school teacher in Norwegian country of North Dakota (and, of course, found someone, fell in love and got married). And she mentioned in that novel how the Norwegian family that she lived with never talked at dinner either – and she kept trying to change that. So, I think, it's kind of tradition.

Sorry to ramble.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote