Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #286
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have noticed that some of my acquaitances now have ereaders. They'd been reading from their phones all this time, but now their eyesight is such that those phones are hard to read from. I know, I read from my Itouch for along time (waiting in lines, unexpected waiting), but that ended 3 years ago. Now I use my Nano for line listening.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #287
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Ah, you are catching on.

As I have been saying phones and tablets don't give the street cred for attracting silent admiration of one as being a reading person. Ereaders are what one has to use. A big old clunky ereader of the ancient first Kindle and Sony types do even better for attracting the quiet admiration of others for one being a real reading enthusiast - rather like driving a classic car down the street does.
Holy crap, I totally agree! I feel the same bout my Sony.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #288
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't read in public anyhow. It's an embarrassment to be known as a "reading creature" these days.
Why be embarrassed? I read in public all the time. I'm snobbish about it. I read during lunch with colleagues. I'm quite rude about it.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:43 AM   #289
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Why be embarrassed? I read in public all the time. I'm snobbish about it. I read during lunch with colleagues. I'm quite rude about it.
And do you find colleagues who have lunch with you?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 AM   #290
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
And do you find colleagues who have lunch with you?
Not any more, I've apparently been sufficiently rude but quite inadvertently. However there have been work lunches I've been required to attend but they forgive me for keeping my reader in my lap.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 AM   #291
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Not any more, I've apparently been sufficiently rude but quite inadvertently. However there have been work lunches I've been required to attend but they forgive me for keeping my reader in my lap.
I guessed so.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #292
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I recently picked up a refurb Kindle for cheap (one of those earlier ones without a touch screen, ugh) so that I can use it to download ebooks via USB from the browser, and now I can get a subscription to an SF magazine that I used to get via Fictionwise until they went Kindle only (and didn't support Kindle app for PC).

I originally bought a second Nook Simple Touch for backup when it was on clearance for something like $20 at Walmart, partly because I had one that died on a trip, and then when I switched to Kobo Glo HD, I bought a second one for backup, too. I usually keep one of the Kobo's in my backpack, so I tend to read on that one when I'm out and about, and the other one is my at-home ereader. Unlike the NST, the Kobo Glo HD's have always been tough to find in US stores, and instead of the price going down after it was discontinued, it went up (because it's a pretty good reader). Both of the Kobos have been upgraded with larger memory cards.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #293
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm just being facetious. I don't read in public much because I'm not in "public" much. But I do take my Kindle when I know I'm going to be waiting somewhere, like in the doctor's office or waiting to pick up one of my kids. Texas isn't really a good place to sit outside and read – you go from sweltering to freezing in about 30 seconds around here. And I don't sit in coffee houses to read or write, I've got a home for that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #294
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Unlike the NST, the Kobo Glo HD's have always been tough to find in US stores, and instead of the price going down after it was discontinued, it went up (because it's a pretty good reader). Both of the Kobos have been upgraded with larger memory cards.
Both the Glo HD and Touch 2 seemed to have been a "blip," disappearing almost as quickly as they came out. I sometimes wonder if there even was a Touch 2, like I just imagined it.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #295
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm just being facetious. I don't read in public much because I'm not in "public" much. But I do take my Kindle when I know I'm going to be waiting somewhere, like in the doctor's office or waiting to pick up one of my kids. Texas isn't really a good place to sit outside and read – you go from sweltering to freezing in about 30 seconds around here. And I don't sit in coffee houses to read or write, I've got a home for that.
I think most of the public readers are talking about reading on public transportation where other people can see you. Not sitting on say a park bench.
Or that is my understanding, our public transportation is not that great out here.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #296
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think most of the public readers are talking about reading on public transportation where other people can see you. Not sitting on say a park bench.
Or that is my understanding, our public transportation is not that great out here.
Okay. Now I understand. I don't think I've taken a city bus at any time in my life. Most of the places I've lived didn't (or still don't) have city transportation.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #297
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I read in public. No embarrassment here. I understand that Stephen Hawking's family were known for each person having a book at the dinner table. A reader can read anywhere.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #298
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I read in public. No embarrassment here. I understand that Stephen Hawking's family were known for each person having a book at the dinner table. A reader can read anywhere.
So they were the early versions of the "smartphone family." My "step-mom" (my dad's wife after I had grown up and gone, so not really a "mom") came from a big Norwegian family in North Dakota. They didn't talk at the dinner table (which, I guess, is common among Norwegians). They would sit down and her dad would say, "Let's get this misery over with," and they would eat in silence. That was it.

Personally I think the dinner table should be a place to "catch up" with the family.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #299
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I always used to carry a paperback in my back pocket wherever I went. The only time it wasn't there was at home.

In high school (about 1954 I think) a teacher saw a copy of my current book "Peyton Place" in my hip pocket and sent me to see the principal. I was sent home and told I had to bring my parents with me to get back in. The next day my parents came and my dad kind of exploded, telling the principal it was none of their business. The book was my parents book. They'd finished it and I was reading it, which was fairly usual. They compromised. I got back to school with a promise not to carry anymore paperbacks in my pocket. I did that till I was finished with that book and went back to carrying them. Nothing was said.

I've always read when I'm in public with nothing to do. Except for that one time nobody ever paid much attention. I don't think it's something people care about unless they see me reading a book that interests them and then they might want to discuss it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #300
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Happy I Did / Do have another e-reader that Not Amazon Device! Last month EVERYTHING Amazon Crashed also taking out my external HD & PC!! I Lost ebooks & MP3 AutioBooks on the Fires & PW! Lucky for me the Kobo had/has Most of my e-books So instead of having 3500+ I now Only have the 1900 on the Kobo! Wished I would have finished DL ALL my ebook to the Kobo Wished I made Backup copies of my Audiobooks...cant get them back
PC backup and running, But it Still wont recognize the 2 Fires. PW works 1/2 a$$ed
You know all your books are on amazon.com in your account
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote