Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
On that I will agree, but on the other hand then we might have to disregard the analysts that are positive on the matter as well.
Exactly.

The only way to know for sure is to wait for Apple's next earning's call.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Well like Apple itself.
Ding, ding, ding!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
No one releases numbers these days. Everyone simply declares victory without stating exactly what victory means. I'm OK with that. I don't need to know that my phone or tab is the most popular -- I just want to know they sold enough to keep making spare parts and accessories.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My local Apple Store seems to sell out of the iPad Mini as soon as they get delivered. That counts as a successful product, to my mind. It's not about technical specs; it's about perceived desirability in the mind of the consumer, and the Mini has that. If they can sell all they can make and charge $350 (or whatever it costs) for it, what would be the point of pricing it at $199? Apple's never tried to compete on the grounds of price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
No one releases numbers these days. Everyone simply declares victory without stating exactly what victory means.
Apple's quarterly results always include numbers of devices sold.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Apple's quarterly results always include numbers of devices sold.
Yes - it's Amazon who are the ultra-secretive ones when it comes to numbers shipped. Apple have always been open about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #22
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
It's Christmas. Can't we all just get along?

In this spirit, I present you with the latest commercial for the iPad Mini, a little girl singing "Ill Be Home for Christmas" over FaceTime to her granddad:

Oh, so sweet, no? But wait, she's actually just mocking old granddad, says CNET's Chris Matyszczyk*:

Quote:
So let's analyze what's really going on here. The girl is singing "I'll Be Home For Xmas." Granddad, who perhaps hasn't seen her in some time, is delighted that finally, finally he will get to see the lovely girl.

Then the song takes a turn for the worse. For she sings that she'll be home for Xmas "if only in her dreams."

Granddad doesn't seem to register this nuance. He's too busy being charmed. But the truth seems to be that the little girl isn't going to be seeing Granddad for Xmas.

She's winding him up with a promise, merely to show off her singing skills and her iPad.

I fear Granddad's actually going to be all on his lonesome this Xmas, while his sweet little granddaughter will be playing video games on her iPad Mini and downloading more songs to learn.

I wonder what the next one will be. "Only The Lonely," perhaps.

Happy Holidays everyone!

*Tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
It's Christmas. Can't we all just get along?

In this spirit, I present you with the latest commercial for the iPad Mini, a little girl singing "Ill Be Home for Christmas" over FaceTime to her granddad:

Oh, so sweet, no? But wait, she's actually just mocking old granddad, says CNET's Chris Matyszczyk*:

Happy Holidays everyone!

*Tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Apparently, the only ones capable of offering true, objective opinions on Apple—the company—are the ones who don't give enough of a damn about it to offer any opinion one way or another. Everyone else are simply labeled haters or fan(boys|girls).

So it's with absolute objectivity that I say ...... meh. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Strange I don't see the last picture.

Back to the 2nd point in the title. "leaky stock"

Now I will ask some questions I don't have the answers for, but
I have been thinking about.

Why did Apple's stock go down?
Was there insider info to drive the drop? Many times there is.
Could the mini be a part of the drop?

There are always people at a plant, at a headquarters, in the manufacturing facility, in the sales/ordering dept., in shipping, etc., that know real numbers. They know expected planned for numbers and they know the current numbers and they know if the numbers are revised.

Something to wonder about.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Why did Apple's stock go down?
Because it bubbled up. Started the year just above $400, peaked around $700 in late September or early October, and is now around $515 (can't be arsed to do more than look at a 1-year graph, BTW). So still an improvement, overall.

(for the same period, Google started about $650, dipped to like $590, back up to $650 for April, back down to just under $600 'til September where it got up to like $775, back down to $650 for mid-November, and now around $715; Apple's still worth more, though, since they seem to have a lot more shares on the market than Google does).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
oops.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 12-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
JD Gumby

You are talking about normal market fluctuations, etc. We could talk about higher capital gains next year, and taking the yearly quotas out of 401s but what I am saying is that there may have been a little tidbit of knowledge that bubbled out of Cupertino, maybe about sales numbers, and caused more movement than normal cause there was a lot of movement.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I think a lot of people simply took profits ahead of increased taxes on income and dividends. You can see what insiders are doing here...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=AAPL...r+Transactions

There's no way to tell what they are thinking, though, since trades have to be announced.

and this makes as much sense as anything...

from http://www.streetinsider.com/Insider...d/7944493.html

Quote:
With gains of 34% YTD, ~200% over 5-years and ~7000% over 10 years, long term investors in Apple may simply want to cash out this year before the looming tax hikes on long term capital gains. Capital gains, currently at 15% could go as high as 25%. Another factor is the press coverage of the "fiscal cliff" and the confusion it has caused for equity holders. Instead of sitting on the gains, some investors are simply selling now.

Last edited by wizwor; 12-23-2012 at 11:13 AM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My local Apple Store seems to sell out of the iPad Mini as soon as they get delivered. That counts as a successful product, to my mind. It's not about technical specs; it's about perceived desirability in the mind of the consumer, and the Mini has that. If they can sell all they can make and charge $350 (or whatever it costs) for it, what would be the point of pricing it at $199? Apple's never tried to compete on the grounds of price.
I seem to remember reading that it is a selling strategy to just deliver the amount of units so you sell out. So I do not think the conclusion is valid here.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote