Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
angela99
angela99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Getting Books Off Stanza, On To Calibre

I was directed here from the Calibre facebook page. He said I might get some help here.

I want to get my books off of Stanza so I can put them on my kindle. I don't want to have to cart around both my ipod and my kindle just to read

I've gone to the Stanza site, (Lexcycle) I've been through Google and I'm at my computer.

Can anyone help? I've tried the back up retrieve and my stupid computer says no such thing exists!!

Ang
angela99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
How did you get the books into Stanza in the first place? If you purchased books through one of the stores inside of Stanza, you should be able to re-download any purchases by visiting whatever store in your browser on your PC (but be aware that those purchases will be DRMed and won't be able to be put on your Kindle). If you got them from free sources like Feedbooks or Manybooks or whatever, just go download the books again from the website.

The only other option I can think of is to jailbreak your iOS device, find the books in the filesystem, and copy them off. I would really suggest not going this route if you can avoid it. Your best bet is to figure out where you got your books in the first place and get them from there again.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
angela99
angela99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, I don't want to jailbreak anything, though I'm not sure what that means anyway.

I got the books from a website, I'll check it out and see what can be done. Thanks again!
angela99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is the utility that Lexcycle provided to extract the books from an iTunes backup. The version that Lexcycle posted was unreliable, but users have posted fixed versions that are meant to work. However I have not tried the utility myself so I do not know how good it is.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any book purchased or downloaded within Stanza must, by definition, be available in your PC browser. You just need to track down where you got the books (BooksOnBoard, O'Reilly, Smashwords, Feedbooks, etc), find the appropriate website, and retrieve the books from there.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
DudeStudley
DudeStudley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
one solution

ran into the same problem myself. i have stanza on the iPad, and you can add outside sources to obtain books, some of which you can't get any other way. either way, if you are using an ios device, this is what you do.

first go into stanza settings on your device, look for the control button i think (far right option in settings) and turn on the "export to itunes" option

plug the device in, wait for sync to complete in itunes, then click on the "apps" tab up top when you are viewing your device

at the bottom of the apps pane, there is a list of apps that allow for transfer through itunes, select stanza

select the books you want to export, click "save to" and set the destination... there you go
DudeStudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
toddos
Guru

I'll reiterate -- any outside source that you can add to Stanza, you can reach from a browser on a PC. You just need to figure out the URL. Stanza's "outside source" stuff just reads standard OPDS feeds from HTTP sources (like Calibre's server). Find the OPDS feed, put the URL in your browser, find the book.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are going to use a browser then you do need one that can correctly handle and navigate OPDS feeds. Not all browsers can. A notable one that cannot is Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
toddos
Guru

OPDS feeds are just XML. Worst case scenario, you pop open the source and follow links that way.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
DudeStudley
DudeStudley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
does chrome support browsing in this fashion? i went to the URL, it is indeed an XML feed, so chrome did not play well. then i go ahead and view source. by doing that i can in fact drill my way down to different categories, but in no way am i able to download the books themselves.

i'm not doubting you at all, i just don't see how that works, and would love to know how so i can quit using my longer work around. grabbed a plugin for XML view in chrome, but all that does is show me the source again.

i'm assuming the URL i put in the browser would be the exact same one that i put into stanza?

and thanks in advance for any help, this would make life a bit easier when i figure it out
DudeStudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Firefox seems to be able to navigate OPDS feeds reasonably well.

Of course you can also use another OPDS compatible ereader app such as Quickreader (which has a free Lite version) - this might be easier. Bluefire (which is also free) is also meant to be about to add OPDS compatibility although it is not working in the currently released version. Other devices have equivalent apps - e.g. Aldiko on Android.