Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Help with content server

I have been trying to move books from my iPad to a laptop with the content server. I got it to work once but cannot get it to work again.

The first time I tried it, I was able to see the books that were on the iPad from the laptop.

I was able to connect through the content server but things seemed backwards. I could see the books on the laptop from the iPad but not the reverse. When I did it before, a browser window with the books listed from the iPad opened up on the laptop.

Here is what I did:
1. Started the content server on the laptop after opening Calibre.
2. Opened Firefox on the laptop and entered the location of the server - the http://192.168 etc.
3. The browser opened with a green bar and below it was Loading, Please Wait. You can also use a simple non-java script version of this site:here [If I click that I get a list of the books on the laptop.]
4. Opened CC on the iPad.
5. Told CC to connect to the content server.
6. CC told me I had to connect the wireless connection in Calibre on the laptop in addition to the Content Server - but this did not happen each time.
7. The library list opened on the iPad letting me see the books on the laptop.

Am I doing something in the wrong order? I know this should work because I got it to work before on October 15.

Please let me know in sort of simply terms what I have done wrong.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Update. I switched to Chrome on the laptop and entered the http://192 etc. This time instead of the screen that said Loading it showed the books that were on the laptop.

Last edited by tas03; 10-23-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Edited for grammar and clarity.
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
tas03
Zealot

I went ahead and tried the alternate method: connecting as a wireless device. Now that method does not work either. When Calibre gets 98% through analyzing books on the device it stops responding. It did that both using the iPad and the iPhone. I am running iOS 12 on both the phone and tablet, and Windows 10 on the laptop.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the content server shows you books that are on the computer on which the server is running, as well as any books that you have opened to read in the browser you are using. It does not show you books on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
tas03
Zealot

Kovid - thanks for the reply. I have no idea then what I actually did then back on October 10th. One of the ways was the wireless way of connecting CC to Calibre on the laptop, and that method is not working now because Calibre freezes.
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should post in the CC forum for help with it, I dont use it, so I cannot comment. In general, run calibre in debug mode and post the log when it freezes in the CC forum
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
tas03
Zealot

I did. Thanks

I did go back on my browser history and found the books that I somehow downloaded on the 10th. I was beginning to think I had dreamed it.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
tas03
Zealot

Kovid - I got it to work but it wasn't with the phone or tablet. I started the content server on my desktop and then entered its location into a browser on the laptop. That then connected me to library in Calibre on the desktop.