Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
PLUGBOARD TEMPLATE ERROR with Sony T3

This is a long and complex question, so please bear with me.

The background is that
- I have used a Sony PRS T3 ereader for years, and vaguely remember installing an 'extra' into calibre to get the Sony to show author's names as Surname, Given name.
- my old Lenovo laptop is dying, and I trying to set up a new laptop. They were both running Windows 7, and I am trying to 'upgrade' to Windows 10.
- I cannot make head nor tale of the calibre manual instructions for copying calibre libraries, so I copied the Calibre Library file from the c:\users\owner\documents\Calibre Library on the old computer to a flash drive, installed calibre on the new computer, and copied the complete folder to the same place on the new computer.
- Everything seemed to go well: all the 900 or so ebooks seem to be available when I open calibre on the new computer, and I can read them with calibre
- But when I saved a new ebook into calibre and loaded it on to my Sony I see PLUGBOARD TEMPLATE ERROR where the author's name should be, both the display of recently read ebooks and in the bookshelves view.
- the new ebook does not show at all in the bookshelves view even though I can open it and read it.
- I don't see this problem when I loaded the new ebook on to my old Kobo Touch.

To my really ignorant eyes it looks as though whatever it was that set the author's name when I first set up calibre was not contained in the folder I copied from the old laptop to the new laptop. Could this be right?

Whatever the original cause of the problem how do I fix it?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@AlexBell - did you copy the calibre configuration data from the old computer to the new computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual
If you want to backup the calibre configuration/plugins, you have to backup the config directory. You can find this config directory via Preferences->Miscellaneous. Note that restoring configuration directories is not officially supported, but should work in most cases. Just copy the contents of the backup directory into the current configuration directory to restore.
On Windows 7/8/10 the configuration data is normally stored at %APPDATA%\calibre

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-27-2015 at 02:34 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@AlexBell - did you copy the calibre configuration data from the old computer to the new computer?

On Windows 7/8/10 the configuration data is normally stored at %APPDATA%\calibre

BR
Thanks, BetterRed. Remind me please how to use %APPDATA%\calibre
Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Type that into the url bar in the File Browser -- it recognizes environment variables.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Type that into the url bar in the File Browser -- it recognizes environment variables.

Just to clarify - copy the configuration folder from the old computer to the new computer much the same as you did the libraries - presumably via Windows/File Explorer and a thumb drive.

%APPDATA% will probably resolve to something like C:\Users\?????\AppData\Roaming where ????? is your Windows login name

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
%appdata% handles the path variations between Windows versions(eg XP => W10)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you all. After thinking a bit more I've become wary about doing it my way since I made such a mess of it the first time I tried.

I still have access to the old computer with the old calibre library etc, and transferred an ebook from there to my Sony. To my great relief the error message now does not show, and the ebook I loaded does show in the bookshelf view.

Is there a way I use calibre itself to put a full copy of the calibre library on the old computer (and all the library's odds and ends) onto a flash drive? And then use calibre on the new computer to import it from the flash drive into calibre? Would I need to delete calibre from the new computer and start over? Or would importing the material from the flash drive overwrite what I have now?

If there is such a way could some kind soul give me a step by step description in one syllable words of how to do it? Or point me to such a description?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You said you copied the library folder as per the FAQ.

Again as per the FAQ, you need to copy the entire configuration folder from the old computer, and replace the configuration folder on the new computer.

Both computers are running >XP, so that folder should be:
C:\Users\AlexBell\AppData\Roaming\calibre\
If in doubt, do as the manual says to locate the right folder.

Old computer:
copy to flashdrive

New computer:
delete this folder
copy the folder on the flashdrive to replace it.

If you've copied both the configuration folder and the library folder, you should end up with the exact same calibre setup. This works for many people, and I have every confidence it will work for you as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't IMPORT
Simply COPY the 2 folders to their proper place

This can be done very quick if both are on the local network. But a flash drive will work

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

here is the steps I have used many times

1) Install Calibre on new computer << you say Done
2) Open the Configuration Folder (Preferences: Miscellaneous)
3) Leave the FOLDER OPEN, but shutdown Calibre

4) Replace the ENTIRE contents of the Config folder with a copy
from the OLD Computer
5)REPLACE the ENTIRE contents of the new Library Folder with a COPY of the ENTIRE contents of the Library folder from the OLD computer
6) Start Calibre
Old 10-28-2015, 02:20 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

here is the steps I have used many times
Thanks. I was able to copy the material in the configuration folder from the old computer to the new computer.

But I now I can't find the library on the old computer. I know it is there somewhere, because I can open calibre and see all the books, and open and read them with the calibre reader. But I can't find the library folder on my old computer. There is a calibre library folder in the 'roaming' folder, but all it contains is the Schember ebook.

I have in the past used synctoy to copy the calibre library to a flash drive as a backup. If I can't find the library file on the computer could I use that? Just copy the contents of the flash drive into the calibre library folder?

PS I've just downloaded the Schember ebook from the calibre on my new computer to the Sony, and everything went well. Now if I can only find the calibre library folder I've lost this problem should be fixed.

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-28-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The Synctoy backup should work just fine, although it might be slightly out of date.

Do a filesystem search for files named "metadata.db"

...Or, since calibre currently knows where your library is, you can find out from the Quick Switch dialog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-find-current-library.png
Views:	158
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	143252  
Old 10-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

On OLD computer:

Method 1:
Start Calibre
Select a Book
Tap 'O' That is the folder (in the Library) where the book is in your library
Move 2 layers up (towards root)
title(#)
Author
Library <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Method2:
Use the OS to search for metadata.db <<<
That folder is a 'Library' (it may be a wrong one, which is wy I first use method1 to get the one that is active. If method 2 turns up more (NEVER MIX the content using Copy ), 1) create a New Library (additional) on the new PC or 2) Merge The 2 by USING CALIBRE (Copy to Library (right-click function) or ADD books)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate the time you've taken to help an ignoramus like me.

I've just used the Library>switch location and the 'O' method, and of course they both work. Two new things I've learned today. I'll keep the 'search for metadata.db' method in mind as well.

- The library is on my data drive as E:My Epubs\Calibre. How could the calibre software know to move it there? I'm sure I've never moved the library there myself.

- Does it matter that the folder is named Calibre, rather than Calibre Library?

- Could I use the Calibre>Library>switch location method to _copy_ the library to a flash drive?

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-28-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added questions
Old 10-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you both. I really appreciate the time you've taken to help an ignoramus like me.

I've just used the Library>switch location and the 'O' method, and of course they both work. Two new things I've learned today. I'll keep the 'search for metadata.db' method in mind as well.

- The library is on my data drive as E:My Epubs\Calibre. How could the calibre software know to move it there? I'm sure I've never moved the library there myself.
Perhaps you forgot that you moved it?
It didn't do it by itself, that much I know.

Quote:
- Does it matter that the folder is named Calibre, rather than Calibre Library?
No -- a calibre library can be called anything.
"Calibre Library" is just the default folder name that calibre (offers to) create when first used.

Quote:
- Could I use the Calibre>Library>switch location method to _copy_ the library to a flash drive?
You sure can. Option #3.
It allows you to move to any new location, flashdrive or otherwise.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

To use the Copy To Library method, the Library must already exist.
You can use any a[[roved method to Create Library

Note: Flash drives are SLOW (compared to a HD, a reason I suggested a Local Area Network copy)