Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #256
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was looking at the stats the other day and missed your old line graph of the comments of the three clubs, but this new chart is fun and informative and very gratifying!
I'll try to figure out a clean way to get that back. I really didn't like the old layout of the stats page so have been trying to clean it up. Hopefully it is a little more organized in general now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #257
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Speaking of statistics, has anyone else noticed that most of the currently regular participants here seem to have a joined MR in 2010 and 2011? I wonder if this coincides with some dramatic upswing in MR numbers during those two years, or if there is some other reason.
Nice spot! One for the conspiracy theorists, methinks
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #258
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My guess is that 2010 is when the Kindle 3 was released. It was the first Kindle (not sure about e-reader in general) that was a reasonable price for many people, at $140 for the basic model. Previous Kindles were $400 (K1), $360 (K2) and $490 (DX) so this was a HUGE price cut.

More people with readers equals more people looking for a home on the internet to discuss them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #259
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My guess is that 2010 is when the Kindle 3 was released. It was the first Kindle (not sure about e-reader in general) that was a reasonable price for many people, at $140 for the basic model. Previous Kindles were $400 (K1), $360 (K2) and $490 (DX) so this was a HUGE price cut.

More people with readers equals more people looking for a home on the internet to discuss them.
I think you're right. I joined not long after getting my first Kindle.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #260
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'll try to figure out a clean way to get that back. I really didn't like the old layout of the stats page so have been trying to clean it up. Hopefully it is a little more organized in general now.
Thank you for my chart!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #261
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the rapidly approaching first of the month, which means it's nomination time. The theme for December will be Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures, so be thinking about it.

If you're considering participating, it should be a fun month to get your feet wet. No pressure; no obligation. Everyone's got guilty pleasures; let's hear about them. And even if you don't want to rise to the level of an official nomination, suggestions are always most welcome. I know I'm always looking for fun reads - it seems more and more so all the time.

See you on Thursday. Crack some of the leftover Halloween candy, get a sugar rush going, and tap into your guilty pleasures.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #262
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm looking forward to this one. I have a couple in mind, though I'll likely settle on just one.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #263
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm not sure if I want to go with books that are fun/funny, or books that I like even though I know they're trash.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #264
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
An emphasis on Guilty pleasures could produce interesting results.

No guilt here. I love A.A.Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh books with E.H. Shephard illustrations, and I don't care who knows. (I make the distinction regarding "A.A.Milne's" because Disney has done some appalling things with Winnie the Pooh.) But I won't nominate any of these, because I wouldn't want to hear anything negative said about them, however well intentioned. (Not to mention that they wouldn't put much of a dent in anyone's reading time, even if we read all of them. )

What I really wanted to nominate was the The Bromeliad trilogy by Terry Pratchett (Truckers, Diggers and Wings), but you can't get the three in one in ebook form - and individually the books are still full price. I could just nominate the first, but you don't get the full effect of this miniature epic without reading the set.

So the hunt continues.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #265
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm not sure if I want to go with books that are fun/funny, or books that I like even though I know they're trash.
Oh, go with the trash! Seriously, as long as it's _good trash_, if you know what I mean. Something that's fun to read, even though you know it's not, perhaps, the great Canadian/American/British/Australian novel. Personally, I'm going with the first of the Ava Lee books. Great fun.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #266
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
even though you know it's not, perhaps, the great Canadian/American/British/Australian novel.
Ouch! The possibility that the OTHER member of Five Eyes might produce a great novel is apparently not even worth considering?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #267
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Ouch! The possibility that the OTHER member of Five Eyes might produce a great novel is apparently not even worth considering?
We look forward to your nomination!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #268
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We look forward to your nomination!
In keeping with my forum title, I don't really have any guilty pleasures - I never feel guilty about liking what I like. I do however, feel a tiny bit guilty about NOT liking a possible candidate for "the great NZ novel" - Catton's The Luminaries. I couldn't even finish it - after 100 pages or so, I realised than another 700+ pages built around astrology and the Zodiac was going to be less fun for me than a DIY root canal.

I actually read very little locally produced fiction, most of my local reading is non-fiction. But perhaps the closest I can come to a nominee for something suitably frivolous and light-hearted to fit the bill for a "guilty pleasure" is Samuel Butler's Erewhon". I certainly got quite a few chuckles out of it.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #269
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Mea culpa. I'd honestly forgotten that we had a NZ member now. By all means, let's have a NZ nomination that fits the category.

Charlie.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #270
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, go with the trash! Seriously, as long as it's _good trash_, if you know what I mean. Something that's fun to read, even though you know it's not, perhaps, the great Canadian/American/British/Australian novel. Personally, I'm going with the first of the Ava Lee books. Great fun.
Be careful what you wish for ... I'm thinking along the lines of Jacqueline Susann and V.C. Andrews.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote