Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks have you read from cover to cover?
10 or less 2 1.04%
11 to 25 14 7.25%
26 to 50 13 6.74%
51 to 100 15 7.77%
101 or more 149 77.20%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll glady admit to the midrange.

I probably average about 4 novels per month. The balance of my time is spent working and deciding what I want to read next.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Because most people I know don't read books for pleasure anymore. They may read here and there but only because it is required for their jobs or their schools and none of them read from cover to cover. I am glad that most people here read more than 100 per year but are we the minority?
That would be a big "yes".

Your experience is about right; there have been several published reports that found that something like 25-30% of the population readily admit they do not read even a single book a year (the actual number is probably higher) and about 50% read but a handful of books a year and those mostly high profile bestsellers.
People like us that read/buy at least a handful of books a month are a minority of the population but are the primary source of buyers for non-bestseller titles. We are also the people who can easily justify the upfront cost of an ebook reader and thus were early adopters of ebooks. That has had a lot of economic ramifications for publishing that are still unfolding.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-14-2013 at 08:01 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Including short novellas, and not count fanfiction, most likely about 400 a year. Like I've said before I read very fast and the novellas only take me a hour or two.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
4 years, 50-150 books per year.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
My answer would unfortunately have to be zero.
I haven't gotten one e-Book with covers yet.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Per year: 11 to 25. I used to read a lot more, but lately I found myself more skimming through texts due to lack of time (and no lack of distraction).
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A percentage make more sense for me.
I abandon a few <2% titles as not meeting my tastes. (I put a No in the read column in Calibre. blank is unread.)
Another small percentage take a loooooong time to finish , but I do reach the last page flip
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It means this is mobileread and many of us have been reading ebooks since the last century. And for many, 100 ebooks is a year's worth of reading.
The poll needs to go into the thousands to find much differentiation.
You're right, it does need thousands.

When I wrote, I was thinking of people I know who don't manage many books a year. But they also aren't members here, so the poll wouldn't apply to them.

I read 3-4 books a week, if you count in both ebook and audio, but never paper anymore. I love being a member here.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Oh, lots. About three a week since 1991 or so, when I discovered Gutenberg. On all sorts of devices. I do like my paperwhite, though.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
"Cover to cover" this year alone 142. This includes audiobooks, as I don't track them separately.

I started reading ebooks in 2002 on my first Pocket PC, but owning a dedicated eink device has significantly increased the amount of books I read per year.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #26
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I read every free moment I have. I have always done this and if anything it has increased with ebooks. 100 books is nothing for me, even if we were limiting it to per year.
Me too. I have always carried a book & flashlight with me wherever I go. Now, with books on my iPhone, I don't need the flashlight. I read between 120 and 160 books a year. But only 20% of them are electronic books. I participate in an online book-swapping group, so paper books still make up the majority of my reading -- a swapped paperback is still cheaper than the Kindle version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I am glad that most people here read more than 100 per year but are we the minority?
Don't know if we're the *minority*, but we are a specific community of readers and the expectation is that we would read more books a year than the general population. (Similarly, you'd expect the IQ of a group of PhDs to be higher than the general population. The bell curve has a different mean.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
My answer would unfortunately have to be zero.
I haven't gotten one e-Book with covers yet.
Ah -- but that's why I put a cover on my K3. I can honestly say I read my e-books from cover to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
"Cover to cover" this year alone 142. This includes audiobooks, as I don't track them separately.

I started reading ebooks in 2002 on my first Pocket PC, but owning a dedicated eink device has significantly increased the amount of books I read per year.
So far this year I've read 102 books. 66 were paper books, 29 electronic, and 7 audio. As I mentioned, I'm in an online book swapping group. I also set a goal of reading more books from the library this year -- and my library does not offer electronic books.

I bought my first e-ink device in January 2008, the original Kindle. I had tried reading books from Baen's free library on my PC, but couldn't enjoy reading on the monitor. The Kindle was enough like a traditional paper book that it posed no problem adapting. And, because I could load it up with several books that I wanted to read, it has been very convenient to carry with me on trips.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I read every free moment I have. I have always done this and if anything it has increased with ebooks. 100 books is nothing for me, even if we were limiting it to per year.
Apache
here - I'm never without an ereader - at home, at work, anywhere I go that I need to wait (doctor visit, etc.) - my leisure time is reading time. Period. Well, reading time with cats.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
my leisure time is reading time. Period. Well, reading time with cats.

(at least when they let me )

Last edited by theducks; 09-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I read at least a minimum of 100 new ebooks a year, I also reread several of my favorite ebooks and fanfiction stories in between just for fun. And this started since I got my first ereader back in 2010.

I don't keep count of how many books I read, I just simply start another book after I finish the last one.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
here - I'm never without an ereader - at home, at work, anywhere I go that I need to wait (doctor visit, etc.) - my leisure time is reading time. Period. Well, reading time with cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

(at least when they let me )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote