Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
borders reading app coming

http://www.cultofmac.com/borders-to-...pad-os-x/42372

looks like borders is bringing their own reader app to the iDevice platform.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Is the Kobo app the app that Borders will use or are they developing another?

I now have:
iBooks (Apple)
Kindle (Amazon)
GoodReader (mostly for PDF files)
Barnes and Noble
Kobo

Any others?
Any what about SONY? Looks like they are more interested in selling their reading devices than selling books.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

sounded to me like borders was doing their own app.. competition is a good thing, but so many reader apps can get confusing. good thing folders are coming this fall to the ipad.

sony, i doubt they'll do an app. you're right, they care more about selling the hardware than actual books. and fortunately for them their readers support a few different formats. that was the selling point that got me to buy my 600 in the first place.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need a different app for everything. How about 1 app for eBooks and 1 app for Video?

Don't ask about the flash app because it isn't coming!
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
From the Border's website:
Quote:
Buy an eBook at Borders.com or through our apps and download it instantly to your choice of devices—popular smartphones, eReaders, or your PC.
Borders eBooks give you the freedom and flexibility to read what you like, wherever you are.
I think that article misinterpreted what Borders was saying - Kobo is the borders app. It looks like what is new about this is that Borders will actually have an ebookstore on their website.

Anybody else note the color cover on the Sony e-Ink reader? lolwut.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

i guess we'll find out for sure in june. but they said they are releasing an app for a bunch of different platforms. kobo doesn't have apps on the mac, pc, etc.. maybe they're going to release one soon. or maybe borders is. it sounds to me like their app is going to be more kindle like, buy once, read anywhere. would be nice if it were simply a drm-free epub.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble app for the iPad is schedule to be released?
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Too bad, I'm not that thrilled with the Kobo app.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need a different app for everything. How about 1 app for eBooks and 1 app for Video?

Don't ask about the flash app because it isn't coming!
In a perfect world....

But honestly, that doesn't bother me much. Text is text so I'm not too picky about e-reading software when it comes to leisure reading (which is the only e-reading I do currently).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble app for the iPad is schedule to be released?
Well, according to Barnes and Noble it was scheduled to be released on April 3rd, 2010, with the iPad. I just checked the B&N boards and somebody posted on Friday that Customer Service told them there is no release date yet.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the update ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote