Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you read an ebook filled with IAds?
Yes 18 25.35%
No 53 74.65%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Would you read a free ebook filled with IAds?
Not only no, but *HELL NO*!

Even with aggressive email filtering I get *enough* junk mail and electronics ads to suffice me for the rest of my life - each and every single day! So why in Sam Hell would I voluntarily accept *more* e-crud? Just so I can assuage my (non-existent) 'guilt' over reading a 'free' ebook? Nope.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'd pay for ebooks rather than put up with free ones with IAds.
IAnything=bad.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Wow, I thought that I was the only one who did that! If I click on a video in a news article but they make me watch a commercial first, I absolutely make a point to steer clear of that product.
Cool!

XD Hee, I thought I was the only one. Now if only more people would do so...
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I like to think ads don't affect me, but would corporations really spend all that money if it didn't work?
The main point of advertisement is making a brand or product known. You won't be hurrying to the nearest shop to buy it, you won't get a feel that you need to possess it, but after you have seen hundreds of ads of brand X, next time you are confronted with the choice between brand X, and some other brand that you have never heard of... you'll be more likely to choose brand X.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
next time you are confronted with the choice between brand X, and some other brand that you have never heard of... you'll be more likely to choose brand X.
Would that not be influencing my purchasing decisions, i.e. affecting me?

I'm rather price conscious, I like to do quick mental calculations in the market to see if the new (smaller) package is still a good buy versus the store brand. As I said above, I like to think ads don't influence me whatsoever, but maybe they do, or maybe they do for all those other people
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Would that not be influencing my purchasing decisions, i.e. affecting me?
Yes, my point is that it might be influencing you even if you think it isn't. It's not a direct influence, if you finally buy it, it will not be because you saw the ad, but seing the ad once and again probably makes you think it's a known, respectable brand. If you are price-conscious you may discard the known, expensive brands, but among the cheap brands, you might be more likely to select the known, cheap brand, rather than the unknown, slightly cheaper one.

It could be different for you specifically, but I guess the above is how it works for most people. I also think I'm rather immune to advertisement (I always mute the commercials on TV and read instead of watching them, for instance), but I know having heard of a product/brand can influence my choices.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Depends on how many adds, and whether they are something where you have to watch an video before going on etc.

If it's just an page with an ad here and there and you could just flip right by them liking flipping any other page, then I could deal with it. No different than reading a magazine--though I'd want the ads much less prevalent in a book.

With other apps, if it's some random utility I'll just use every once in a while I'd definitely take a free app with ads, over a paid app with no ads.

But I'd say in general I'm not a super anti AD person. They are the main way we find out about many products. The vast majority I have no interest in, but I'll sometimes see an add for something--be hit food, some new gadget etc., and want to try it out.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Read? Yes - BUY? No (n/t)

N/T means no text!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote