Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #24181
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Congrats, Stitchawl !

Nothing in my cup right now. Just back from 10 hours on the road. Half those hours taking my son back to school -- all of those hours with a cranky, stiff, sore back!

Now I have to burn off all the coffee I sipped going up and halfway back, with the Coke chasers.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #24182
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Smoothie. Mostly strawberry. I'd be itching for some scotch if I didn't have an endurance race in a few weeks.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #24183
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
...... I can't wait to see your pictures of the trip! Enjoy!.........
Stitchawl
Quote:
Just got the word... Little 'Levi' has entered the world. ......
Stitchawl
Thank you for the good wishes.
Congratulations on becoming a grandfather, Stich. From what I've heard it is quite a new experience in life.

in my cup: hot Rooibos+vanilla tea.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #24184
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Woohooo! Little Levi has a cool grandfather! Congrats, Stitchawl

Quote:
They are changing here too, Anh. The buds are opening on the Cherry trees and the plum trees are almost looking raggedy. Next week will be better and the week after that will be perfect (in that same area. I'll be back...)
I noticed that. The folks living in Japan have been posting like a million of plum flowers on Flickr. I'm green with envy

Quote:
When there is nothing good, there is nothing good. Period. You can try for different angles and different subjects, but if you're looking for pretty trees and the trees just aren't cooperating, you're out of luck. Photograph the ducks instead. If the long range shots won't work, take macro photos. There is ALWAYS something to photograph, but not always what you WANT to photograph.

Stitchawl
Yeah, I figured that out yesterday, but just to make sure there's nothing amiss, it doesn't hurt to ask a pro.

I photographed some windchimes and bubbles instead. I'm not satisfied, but it's still better than nothing.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #24185
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Just got the word... Little 'Levi' has entered the world. Father is resting comfortably.

Stitchawl

Sent by my typewriter.
Congrats! I hope you get to meet him. Hopefully you can send him postcards from all your travels, maybe keep a video diary for him.

Bancha in my cup, yogurt for breakfast.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #24186
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Smoothie. Mostly strawberry. I'd be itching for some scotch if I didn't have an endurance race in a few weeks.
Have the scotch, yu will burn off the calories soon enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #24187
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Just got the word... Little 'Levi' has entered the world. Father is resting comfortably.

Stitchawl
Many congratulations Stitchawl! You'll have to let me know if you feel any different, once it has sunk in. I'm not looking forward to the "Grandpa" moniker, but will no doubt enjoy everything that goes with it (particularly the bit where you can give them back at the end of the day ).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #24188
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

heheheh My parents were thrilled with the grandparent moniker. They were ready for it when the time came. I love watching my Mom with Lucas. It is clear that she loves him and he is learning that she is a fun person to be with. What is even more neat is when I watch her with him, I get some insight into what she was like with me at an age I cannot remember.

Given that she gives advice like "Just let him cry in his crib, he'll fall asleep soon enough" and "Let him play on his own, he is fine" I have a sneaking suspcion that her parenting philosophy is pretty close to her grandparenting philosophy. (grins)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #24189
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I like new beginnings. I guess by now my grandson has begun too. Welcome to the world, little Levi! (Don't know why they chose to name him after a pair of jeans...)
Stitchawl
Some parents name their children after some memorable event or item surrounding the conception.

Congrats old man!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #24190
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Stitchawl
Congratulations Grandpa Stitchawl.

Black coffee in a travel mug.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #24191
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Congrats! I hope you get to meet him. Hopefully you can send him postcards from all your travels, maybe keep a video diary for him.
That's what Skype is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Many congratulations Stitchawl! You'll have to let me know if you feel any different, once it has sunk in. I'm not looking forward to the "Grandpa" moniker, but will no doubt enjoy everything that goes with it (particularly the bit where you can give them back at the end of the day ).
Living 5,000 miles away does make it a very different situation. I've never been a 'family' person, even when I was living in the States. Once a year for Thanksgiving was more than enough for me to enjoy my relatives. And I did enjoy them. I just didn't want to spend more time with them. I always felt a bit envious of 'The Waltons' (I hope you understand the TV reference) but I also realize that that sort of family is rather rare.

I spent more 'quality time' with my son when he was growing up than most fathers as I was a 'weekend father' from the time he was two until he was 14. Those two days were spent from morning til night interacting directly with him, not just sitting on the couch while he played in his room. Sociologists estimate the average American father spends less than 20 minutes per day in 'quality time' with a child these days, so I figure that with 20-30 hours of quality time together, we were doing OK. As he got older, his social environment changed, scouting, ski camp, summer camp, etc., and when he was old enough to meet 'Valerie,' it was difficult to get any weekends with him! That's when I knew it was safe for me to move to Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Some parents name their children after some memorable event or item surrounding the conception.
Possibly. But I wasn't there at the time, so I really don't know.

Quote:
Congrats old man!
Thanks! I think I'm going to celebrate with a bigger glass of rum tonight!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #24192
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Skype is great but I have a feeling he would love the postcards. They are cool and something he can look back on in 10-20 years.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #24193
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Skype is great but I have a feeling he would love the postcards. They are cool and something he can look back on in 10-20 years.

Children love to receive mail. It makes them feel special.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #24194
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We send my son mail when he goes away to summer camp. (Actually we pre-write them and give them to the counselors, but he does not know that.) Every day the get to open and real the mail they got. It is a huge highlight for them. Most of the parents to the same.

So yeah, as much of a technocrat that I am... kids love mail. As in paper mail.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #24195
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Children love to receive mail. It makes them feel special.
Wait, I love receiving mails* too. Hand-written letters with stamps and dates and actual signatures ARE special!

* "Real" mails, not news letters and such rubbish
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?