Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Cybook 43 63.24%
BeBook 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I've come to the conclusion between the two of them, basically by just comparing the Matrix.

I'll write the differences here:
Size and weight differences are small, and not really an issue for me here:
Bebook left,-- Cybook right. (score +1 for item Bebook, -1 when Cybook wins)

184x120.5x9.9 -- 188x118x8.5 (-1) minor difference
200gr -- 174gr (-1) minor difference
950mAh Nokia batt(easily replaceable) -- 1000mAh custom Cybook batt (+2,-1) higher capacity battery, but not easily replacable
9000 pageturns -- 8000 pageturns (+1)
16sec boot -- 20sec boot (+1)
SDK Yes -- No (+1)
SD/MMC -- SD (+1) <= anyone knows if one device uses SDHC?
2MB NOR FLASH -- 8MB RAM (-1)
USB 1.1 -- USB 2 (-1)
+Epub, RTF, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, DJVU, Tiff, BMP, RAR, ZIP -- OEB XHTML (+13, -1)
No dictionary -- Dictionary support (-1)
No Notes -- Bookmarks menu (-1)
I station readman service -- N/A (+0) I don't use this anyways.
N/A -- Ubibooks, Cluster21 (-2)
$299 -- $350 (+2) <=Price is a major factor
Better build quality -- Beter design and looks, and color; better display? (-2)

BeBook score:21
CyBook score:12
This leads me to : a +9 score for Bebook

Any thoughts or changes on above info? (like other read format support, or about SD card readeror so?)
BeBook uses SDHC
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #32
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
BeBook uses SDHC
Edited,thank you!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
950mAh Nokia batt(easily replaceable) -- 1000mAh custom Cybook batt (+2,-1) higher capacity battery, but not easily replacable
Both machines have easily replaceable batteries - the point is that both machines DO have replaceable batteries unlike, say, a Sony, where you have to return it to the manufacturer to be replaced.

Quote:
9000 pageturns -- 8000 pageturns (+1)
Marketting hype. Number of page turns is a pure fiction. Both machines will run for a LONG time without recharging (a week's reading, say).

Quote:
16sec boot -- 20sec boot (+1)
Irrelevent. Both machines boot quickly enough that it's not really an issue. With the CyBook you can just leave it switched on, in which case you'll need to recharge every 4 days or so.

Quote:
SD/MMC -- SDHC (+1,-1) <= anyone knows if one device uses SDHC?
Irrelevent. Both machines have 512MB RAM, which is sufficient for several years worth of reading without using an SD card at all.

Quote:
2MB NOR FLASH -- 8MB RAM (-1)
And this matters because.... ?

Quote:
USB 1.1 -- USB 2 (-1)
Very little relevance. eBook files are not large.

Quote:
+Epub, RTF, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, DJVU, Tiff, BMP, RAR, ZIP -- OEB XHTML (+13, -1)
Utterly misleading. What matters is not the number of formats supported, but how WELL they are supported (eg Mobi support on the Gen3 is hugely better than that of the BeBook). Format conversion is easy. Besides which, your list is flat out wrong - why do you include the picture formats that the BeBook supports, but not those supported by the Gen3????

Quote:
No dictionary -- Dictionary support (-1)
Extremely important for me. Do you honestly consider "WOLF" support to be as important as dictionary support? When did you last come across a WOLF-format file?

Quote:
No Notes -- Bookmarks menu (-1)
I don't understand what you mean by this one...

Quote:
I station readman service -- N/A (+0) I don't use this anyways.
... or this one.

Quote:
N/A -- Ubibooks, Cluster21 (-2)
... or this one.

Quote:
Better build quality -- Beter design and looks, and color; better display? (-2)
The two machines use precisely the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #34
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both machines have easily replaceable batteries - the point is that both machines DO have replaceable batteries unlike, say, a Sony, where you have to return it to the manufacturer to be replaced.

Marketting hype. Number of page turns is a pure fiction. Both machines will run for a LONG time without recharging (a week's reading, say).

Irrelevent. Both machines boot quickly enough that it's not really an issue. With the CyBook you can just leave it switched on, in which case you'll need to recharge every 4 days or so.

Irrelevent. Both machines have 512MB RAM, which is sufficient for several years worth of reading without using an SD card at all.

And this matters because.... ?

Very little relevance. eBook files are not large.

Utterly misleading. What matters is not the number of formats supported, but how WELL they are supported (eg Mobi support on the Gen3 is hugely better than that of the BeBook). Format conversion is easy. Besides which, your list is flat out wrong - why do you include the picture formats that the BeBook supports, but not those supported by the Gen3????

Extremely important for me. Do you honestly consider "WOLF" support to be as important as dictionary support? When did you last come across a WOLF-format file?

Harry says it all really. You let the Bebook win just because you give it points to totally irrelevant formats (what do you want with .RAR and .ZIP, you can't read it and why you would want to compress a book when you have enough internal memory to store thousands is beyond me).
For me the cybook wins because of the very good mobi-pocket support which let me read for instance the superb (but NOT DRM-free) books of George RR Martin. You won't be able to do that with the bebook because they don't support DRM'd mobi-format.
Also the dictionary support is amazing; it really gives an extra dimension to your reader.
In my opinion on the hardware side there is very little difference and on the software side the cybook is much better developed (at the moment).

just my 2 cents

p.s. On the other discussion here. I really would like to see the total amount of pages in a book at the end of the status-bar. That would be enough for me. That would imo be the most important update they could make, and a really small one in that.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 11-05-2008 at 03:27 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
For me the cybook wins because of the very good mobi-pocket support which let me read for instance the superb (but NOT DRM-free) books of George RR Martin. You won't be able to do that with the bebook because they don't support DRM'd mobi-format.
The BeBook does now support DRM-Mobi, but it lacks a number of features compared with other Mobi implementations, such as font loading, justification, dictionary lookup, etc. Hopefully this will improve with future firmware releases on the BeBook, but at the moment there's no doubt that Mobi support on the Gen3 is significantly better.
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #36
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Harry says it all really. You let the Bebook win just because you give it points to totally irrelevant formats (what do you want with .RAR and .ZIP, you can't read it and why you would want to compress a book when you have enough internal memory to store thousands is beyond me).
Also the dictionary support is amazing; it really gives an extra dimension to your reader.
In my opinion on the hardware side there is very little difference and on the software side the cybook is much better developed (at the moment).

just my 2 cents
I agree (even though I have a BeBook), at the moment the Cybook is better. But to me it seems that the BeBook developers are more active, or am I wrong?

I know that the Mobi support is sort of borked on the BeBook at the moment, but they developers have listened to the users and are currently adressing our issues. At least if you are to believe their posts on the BeBook forums
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I agree (even though I have a BeBook), at the moment the Cybook is better. But to me it seems that the BeBook developers are more active, or am I wrong?
No, I think you're absolutely right about that!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
zip and rar are needed to read comics.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Support for SDHC is important because soon that will be the only thing you can buy cheaply.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do you happen to know, Tommy, whether the CyBook's inability to use SDHC cards is down to the hardware controller it uses, or is it a firmware issue? Eg, the Sony Reader gained the ability to use SDHC cards with a firmware upgrade; could the Gen3 do the same?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #41
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
zip and rar are needed to read comics.
I wouldn't want to read comics on an e-inkt screen with only 4 grey-scales. There are much better alternatives for that.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I would not thing that gray scales were important for manga which probably is what people read most on these devices.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #43
ErwinOtten
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would not thing that gray scales were important for manga which probably is what people read most on these devices.
I don't know my comic-reading ended when I was 10 with Donald Duck

So I guess it also depends on the need you have for your reader which one is the best.
For simple plain mobi-pocket reading the Cybook is (until now) superior.
For other purposes the bebook might be better.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The BeBook has the same 4 grey-scale screen as the Gen3. The only eInk devices which have more are the Sony (8 grey-scale) or the iLiad (16 grey-scale).
Old 11-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #45
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
Unhappy

Quote:
After a year using Cybook, I have come to the conclusion that if it can be converted to mobipocket with mobipocket creator (and you can convert doc rtf, html, txt and pdf, that I know, and besides some formats as lit you can easily convert to html then to mobipocket) it is worth reading in the cybook. If it does not convert nicely, then, let it go, it is not for reading with cybook. This happens with certain pdfs based on images. You can read them with the Cybook, as it supports pdf, but it is frustrating: too small the screen. So, if you have a djvu file, for example, the limitation would not be in the software, it would be in the screen size, that it is the same for the cybook than for the Bebook. With a bigger screen the format question would be another matter.

And I like to be able to choose fonts and to look up in a dictionary.

Last edited by patatan; 11-05-2008 at 06:41 AM.
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, cybook