Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Problem with CBZ and CBR files

Hi everyone.

So, I decided to try reading manga on my H20 2nd edition. I have a couple of different series in CBR format that I tried transferring over. Some of them didn't even show up on the reader, others showed up but the reader couldn't open them. I unpacked the files, zipped and renamed them to CBZ, but the reader still couldn't read them. I found an old CBZ file on my computer (the file came in the format, I didn't change it) and again, the reader couldn't open it.
I went and got some new CBR files, and same problem. However my first new CBZ download actually worked. And I was really pleased to discover that the slightly larger screen and much higher resolution (compared to original Touch) make reading manga a pleasure.

So, has anyone got any experience with these formats? Is there something I'm missing, like maybe the image files in the archive are the wrong size or something? The problem isn't coming from Calibre, as I also tried copying over manually. Also, Calibre can open all these books fine.

Thanks for any help.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't read comics, but, I've tested them enough to know that both CBR and CBZ work. And, I've never had a problem adding them to the device.

The only thing I can immediately think of is the file names involved. If you are sending form calibre, it should be making sure the file name of the book is correct. But, it might be the file name of the images inside the book. I would probably need to see one of the files to work it out.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This isn't a solution, but a recommendation - you should try KOReader. By some combination of playing around with the zoom settings, using landscape mode and disabling scroll mode, you are bound to get the optimal viewing experience. It's a LOT better for comics (and pdfs) then stock Kobo firmware aka Nickel.

Be aware though that it doesn't support CBR, just CBZ.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
bookaquarius
bookaquarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Did you transfer your manga to your H2O via calibre? When you add the manga in calibre, it will automatically convert the zip file to cbz. The only time it doesn't convert is when you have mixture of picture file and non picture in the zip. That's when I know I will need to get rid of that non-picture file before re-adding in calibre. Once done, I transfer to CBZ to my device with calibre.

Last edited by bookaquarius; 06-03-2017 at 05:14 AM.
bookaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Robik
Robik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo recognizes cbr/cbz files only with jpg. Most manga files have png graphics.
Robik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robik View Post
Kobo recognizes cbr/cbz files only with jpg. Most manga files have png graphics.
That's not been the case in my testing. I know I've used a CBR or CBZ in the past with PNGs in it. And I have tested both just now, and they both worked.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
bookaquarius

davidfor is right. Many of my manga contains both png and jpg in the same file and calibre + H2O has no problem reading those files. As long it doesn't get mixed with non-picture file.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaquarius View Post
As long it doesn't get mixed with non-picture file.
Is it any file? Does the metadata file that can be added interfere? The Kobo devices don't read this (or didn't the last time I checked), but I'd hope it didn't break things.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
bookaquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is it any file? Does the metadata file that can be added interfere? The Kobo devices don't read this (or didn't the last time I checked), but I'd hope it didn't break things.
Not sure about that... as I transfer my files using Calibre, first thing to do is to add them into Calibre. If the zip file doesn't get converted when it was added, I will go back to search and delete that file for non-picture file since I know Kobo can't read zip file. From experience, the non-picture file that usually got mixed in are of .ini, .txt, .nomedia, .xml, .db format. It took me awhile to figure out why certain zip file was automatically converted into CBZ when added into Calibre and some remained as zip.

Once that is fixed, I re-add and transfer the file with Calibre, eject Kobo for it to get updated, connect Kobo again to update the metadata for the CBZ file using the Kobo plugin. Unless there's a shorter way to do this?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I'm fairly sure the metadata is in an XML file. And I think calibre will read some of this if it is there. But, there is a plugin to read and populate more of the metadata, so I might be mixing things up.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #11
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Thanks for all the info. To be honest I don't have a clue why so many of my CBZ/CBR files aren't working, when they open just fine with the Calibre reader.
I thought CBZ were just renamed ZIP files, but unzipping then rezipping the image folders (both with 7zip and with the Windows tool) didn't help. I checked, there are only jpg files in there. So maybe it has something to do with file names.
However, I downloaded ACBF Editor. If I open and then save to CBZ format with it, then it works. So I'll have to run everything that doesn't work through that.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote