Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Seconded on Amber series, great Fantasy!

Another good one in this genre is the Goblin series by Jaq D. Hawkins. 3 books, around 200-ish pages each. Dance of the Goblins, Demoniac Dance, Power of the Dance. I think these might fit under Urban Fantasy.
Thanks to you ReadingManiac and pwalker8. It feels good to have this pleasant headache of trying to select which books to read first.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #32
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Maybe get Kindle samples and see which grab you?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #33
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe get Kindle samples and see which grab you?
I don't know... it seems risky than not to go to tried and trusted authors. I'm wary of freebies and unknown authors.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #34
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Why be wary of freebies? If the first couple pages don't grab you, you haven't lost more than a couple minutes.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Why be wary of freebies? If the first couple pages don't grab you, you haven't lost more than a couple minutes.
True, that. Yet I'd at best be paralyzed with the amount of choice, and at worst waste quite a few minutes overall. I base that on the limited type of prose that I can enjoy. Anything different from styles that pull me in and I'd promptly get into a reading slump, which is the worst thing that I fear.
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #36
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
If it doesn't have to be a series, Jane Gardam's books are short and brilliant. She does have one series with Old Filth, The Man in the Wooden Hat and Last Friends. I am currently trying to read everything of hers that I can get my hands on.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #37
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I base that on the limited type of prose that I can enjoy. Anything different from styles that pull me in and I'd promptly get into a reading slump, which is the worst thing that I fear.
So what kind of prose do you enjoy? Any examples?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #38
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
If it doesn't have to be a series, Jane Gardam's books are short and brilliant. She does have one series with Old Filth, The Man in the Wooden Hat and Last Friends. I am currently trying to read everything of hers that I can get my hands on.
Thanks Eleanor, that's a ringing endorsement right there. I too will sample this author, new to me.

Quote:
So what kind of prose do you enjoy? Any examples?
Sure. I don't like accents in books. That is why I managed to read Tom Sawyer but not Huckleberry Finn.

I like a mixture of short, medium and long sentences. If the long sentences don't carry enough sustenance, or weight, or meaningfulness, and don't advance the story, then I'm unable to enjoy the book. If I don't enjoy most of the nudges and jokes, then of course I'll bail out. Hope you understand my meaning.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #39
PharoahRamses
PharoahRamses began at the beginning.

Device: laptop and phone
The Airmed Stone

I just got done reading The Airmed Stone by Jeremy Marinoff.
Super quick read, less than 250 pages.
I really liked it.
Its Sci-Fi, which I love, but you got to be in to that to like the book.
But overall, I thought was a pretty good read, and a fairly quick one.
PharoahRamses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #40
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Maybe Light Novels? They're japanese and have all sort of themes and are usually short around 200-250 pages for each volume. A few are available in English. Many are published by Viz On, others by Haikasoru. I have a few myself.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #41
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Quote:

Sure. I don't like accents in books. That is why I managed to read Tom Sawyer but not Huckleberry Finn.

I like a mixture of short, medium and long sentences. If the long sentences don't carry enough sustenance, or weight, or meaningfulness, and don't advance the story, then I'm unable to enjoy the book. If I don't enjoy most of the nudges and jokes, then of course I'll bail out. Hope you understand my meaning.
Then I stand by my recommendation for the Goblin Trilogy by Jaq D. Hawkins. If you like to get right into action, you can start with the second book and not feel lost. The first one is heavy on exposition and world building.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #42
Luffy
Wizard

Thanks again everyone. Nothingness, I wouldn't know how to buy these type of books. I'll have to register on a Japanese site?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #43
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Thanks again everyone. Nothingness, I wouldn't know how to buy these type of books. I'll have to register on a Japanese site?
Not at all. Viz On that translates and publish the Light Novels series, is the same company Viz that translate and publish mangas in English as well, and their publications can easily found in bookstores and Amazon has then as well. It's the same with Haikasoru. You would have to ask in bookstores their sections for Light Novels.

Here are their websites:

http://yenpress.com/ - Go at their Series tab and look for Novels

http://www.haikasoru.com/

Last edited by Nothingness; 07-29-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 AM   #44
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Not at all. Viz On that translates and publish the Light Novels series, is the same company Viz that translate and publish mangas in English as well, and their publications can easily found in bookstores and Amazon has then as well. It's the same with Haikasoru. You would have to ask in bookstores their sections for Light Novels.

Here are their websites:

http://yenpress.com/ - Go at their Series tab and look for Novels

http://www.haikasoru.com/
Check your k.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #45
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher and Corinna Chapman series meet your criteria.

So does Ian Fleming's James Bond series.

Also Richard Stark's Parker series.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote