Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine5 View Post
I've a strange effect:
Had a look for my old Touch N905 C. Was switched off for month, so I'd synced (FW 3.2.x) -no updates found. Hmmm, had a look into the database, found actual 4.3.9084, so I've copied it into .kobo and after the update and restart the new Homescreen was displayed. OK, I thought -as I think about to sell the Touch I want to see if the FW will stay if I reset the device. But after reset I got the FW from buying it years ago, have to connect to WiFi, Login with Kobo account, while syncing autoupdate, restart, got FW 3.x.
Hmmm... so I've synced Manual again, found update! Updating, then got FW 3.2.x -syncing again says "no Updates", so I've copied 4.3.9084 again into .kobo, restarted -and "About" says FW 4.3.9084, but have the OLD HS. Connected via WiFi, tried sync, shut down, restart -nothing helps.
Why the device have displayed the new HS, and now not?
And: is it possible the the reset will set the device to the last installed FW and not to an old FW that was it shipped with?

btw: also installed new FW to my A1, and it also stay in old HS...
At the moment, the new home screen is random. Kobo are testing and 20% of devices will get the new home screen. This should be determined at the first sync after upgrading to a firmware version that supports the new home screen. Doing a factory reset and upgrading again, will roll the dice and decide which you have.

A factory reset reinstalls the factory firmware. During the setup, the latest firmware available for your device should be downloaded and installed. That isn't always the latest released firmware as it depends on the affiliate for your device, geolocation rule and probably some timing. But, I am surprised the Touch ended up on 3.2. I can understand not being the latest with the rules or if the server didn't respond, but going to a an earlier firmware isn't something I would expect.

Do you know what the affiliate is? It's in the file affiliate.conf in the .kobo directory. And where are you? Maybe that is a combination that gives that version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhilndr View Post
No, it hasn't. I left it plugged in to charge after updating it and the red light stayed on after it was fully charged.
So it was charging by the computer port, right? And was the screen still showing the reader as connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
mine turned green from red after fully charged--but only in sleeping charging. in reading while charging, charging light is not showing up.
I may be wrong as it's been a while since my indicator worked right, but I seem to remember that it was the same back then. If the reader was on, the light didn't come on at all while charging.

Were you charging with the computer or a wall charger?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
... but have the OLD HS. Connected via WiFi, tried sync, shut down, restart -nothing helps.
Why the device have displayed the new HS, and now not?
Because the new homescreen is being randomly assigned to a percentage of devices on update for testing purposes. Not surprising at all that you might get it one time and not the next. A number of people have experienced that. There is a setting you can change to turn it on or off if you want to. Search the forum for directions as I haven't really paid attention to them.
Quote:
btw: also installed new FW to my A1, and it also stay in old HS..
Having the latest firmware on the device does not necessarily mean you will have the new homescreen.

Quote:
.And: is it possible the the reset will set the device to the last installed FW and not to an old FW that was it shipped with?
No. The "original" firmware that shipped for the device is in a protected area of the device and is not touched by updates. If you end up with the latest installed firmware again something didn't work with a factory reset or you did something other than a factory reset (i.e. signed in/out of your account)
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Downloaded this firmware through this page (which has been posted here before):

https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Reading stats not fixed? Again? The only two remaining plusses over my old kindle still are the bigger screen, and the more granular font sizes, and of all fonts, only Georgia is actually worth looking at. Using full screen is only possible after CSS hacks. In the end, I can't shake the feeling that I made a wrong decision in trying a Kobo reader, even after holding off for three years.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a strange thing going on with a Mini. It is the only one running the firmware, so I want to ask if others using the firmware have the strange thing, or if it is my device. Every time I dismiss a tile from the home screen, there is a strange diagonal line bisecting the upper half of the screen for a couple seconds.

So now I am seeing the reading stats all messed up, as others have reported. I think I will factory reset this device and see if that strange horizontal line disappears. I'm going back to a previous firmware so I can have more accurate "hours to go."
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have a strange thing going on with a Mini. It is the only one running the firmware, so I want to ask if others using the firmware have the strange thing, or if it is my device. Every time I dismiss a tile from the home screen, there is a strange diagonal line bisecting the upper half of the screen for a couple seconds.

So now I am seeing the reading stats all messed up, as others have reported. I think I will factory reset this device and see if that strange horizontal line disappears. I'm going back to a previous firmware so I can have more accurate "hours to go."
My Aura One does the same thing. Maybe someone could explain what that is.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #22
luvhilndr
Connoisseur
luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage
[QUOTE=dmapr;3506195]So it was charging by the computer port, right? And was the screen still showing the reader as connected?

I had unmounted/ejected it but left it plugged in to finish charging.
luvhilndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After down grading, the diagonal line when removing tiles is no longer there.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'm going to skip this firmware... more problems, while the problems I have already are not solved.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:54 AM   #25
engine5
engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Do you know what the affiliate is? It's in the file affiliate.conf in the .kobo directory. And where are you? Maybe that is a combination that gives that version.
Thanks for the explanation!
I'm located in Germany, and affiliate.conf says:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo

I've reset it again to have a look -and SW Version is the same as tried before: 3.2.0 from Feb. 11. 2014 after Login via Kobo account.
If I sync again manual after Startup I receive update to Version 4.3.8945 (may it can't be upgraded directly to 4.x?)

I'd a look into .kobo/Version and it was after Initial update:
N905[Serial],2.6.35.3,3.2.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000320
(seems shipped with 2.6.35.3)
and after Manual sync updated:
N905[Serial],2.6.35.3,4.3.8945,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000320

Well -as I've tried much things in my A1 DB I'll reset it better, too. May I have luck and get the new HS there (I'm curious -just seen it 1 Minute on the touch )
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 AM   #26
engine5
engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Because the new homescreen is being randomly assigned to a percentage of devices on update for testing purposes. Not surprising at all that you might get it one time and not the next. A number of people have experienced that. There is a setting you can change to turn it on or off if you want to. Search the forum for directions as I haven't really paid attention to them.
I'll do!

Quote:
Having the latest firmware on the device does not necessarily mean you will have the new homescreen.
OK. As I'm trying to get my reading stats importet from H2o to A1 and reset it several times, may I get it after one reset.

Quote:
No. The "original" firmware that shipped for the device is in a protected area of the device and is not touched by updates. If you end up with the latest installed firmware again something didn't work with a factory reset or you did something other than a factory reset (i.e. signed in/out of your account)
Ah, OK. Know that from my mobile phone. But sometimes the manufacturer (in my case HTC) distribute some Mayor updates that will update also the protected area, so that you're starting with Android 7.0 istead of shipped 6.0. May it's possible with a hack -I'll check the developement area (just started here with having a deeper look to the Kobo's -in the past I just have used it as a Reader)
Thank you very much for the Information!
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Reading stats not fixed? Again? The only two remaining plusses over my old kindle still are the bigger screen, and the more granular font sizes, and of all fonts, only Georgia is actually worth looking at. Using full screen is only possible after CSS hacks. In the end, I can't shake the feeling that I made a wrong decision in trying a Kobo reader, even after holding off for three years.
Of course, you can also add your own fonts, which is what I do. The other key advantage to using a Kobo, in my opinion, is the ability to use Calibre to set up and maintain collections. That is invaluable.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Of course, you can also add your own fonts, which is what I do. The other key advantage to using a Kobo, in my opinion, is the ability to use Calibre to set up and maintain collections. That is invaluable.
Collection management is a nice feature (and I use it right now), but it's not essential for me. To be able to set weighting on the fonts, you'll have to hack/patch the firmware.

The KA1 has two problems, IMHO:
- Unstable firmware, with different problems for each release
- Build quality. There are gaps in the casing which annoy me to no end because heaps of dust get in there. I've actually taken to clean it out using a brush every day or two.

I'm still undecided. I got my KPW1 back from my mom after she read some books. Maybe I'll set a different font ramp size, and then read my next book on the old reader. (The font ramp change is necessary because size 4 is often too small, while size 5 is huge.)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation!
I'm located in Germany, and affiliate.conf says:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo

I've reset it again to have a look -and SW Version is the same as tried before: 3.2.0 from Feb. 11. 2014 after Login via Kobo account.
If I sync again manual after Startup I receive update to Version 4.3.8945 (may it can't be upgraded directly to 4.x?)

I'd a look into .kobo/Version and it was after Initial update:
N905[Serial],2.6.35.3,3.2.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000320
(seems shipped with 2.6.35.3)
and after Manual sync updated:
N905[Serial],2.6.35.3,4.3.8945,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000320

Well -as I've tried much things in my A1 DB I'll reset it better, too. May I have luck and get the new HS there (I'm curious -just seen it 1 Minute on the touch )
I did a factory reset on my N905 Touch today. It updated to 4.3.8967. This is in Australia with the local BordersAU. Not the absolute latest firmware version, but it fits with the overall release schedule.

The two step upgrade is unusual. I've only heard of it being necessary in one instance. That was instance. And that was to get some of the N905 Touch's to upgrade past 2.0. I think your case is a left-over configuration. This happened recently with some devices. Kobo had left a configuration for the upgrade on their server that meant some devices did a two step upgrade like you are seeing. The fixed it after a day or two.

If you are worried about it, I suggest talking to Kobo. But, it is working OK, and so long as you don't need to do a lot of factory resets, it won't cause to many problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #30
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Reading stats not fixed? and of all fonts, only Georgia is actually worth looking at. Using full screen is only possible after CSS hacks.
I'll never understand this. Why can't they just add a fullscreen option for kepub that completely disables header and footer? Even better would be adding a slider or something for header and footer size so you can keep one or both, but not have that huge wasted space on top/bottom.
It's been years and we still have to tinker with our config files and patch our devices do to this. It's easy to do, but it gets annoying after a while, especially with all the patches Kobo has been releasing lately.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo