Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
Battery life of Cybook Gen3

Just wondering about peoples experience of the battery life of their Cybook.

In my case i'm slightly dissapointed.

I normally read for about 3 hour every day, however because of my job some of this is in 5 minute spells, during these times I don't turn my cybook off, although I still have the auto-off set to 1 hour.
In total, I would estimate that my cybook is on for about 8 hours per day, and I read on average about 300 pages per day.
My battery life is only about 1 week, according to what I have read this is the sort of period I could expect if my cybook was never turned off.
I read somewhere that for the first few recharges it was best to drain the battery completely then fully recharge it, and I have been doing this.

I was just wondering if the above sounds about right, or if it's too short.

I have also read that the Cybook battery is good for 15000 page turns although the specs on the website state 8000. Even so, as things stand I doubt that I could read anywhere near this ammount without recharging, even turning off between sessions.
I think that the 8000 page refreshes is very misleading. It may well be capable of 8000 page turns if people dont take any time to read the page, but in real terms I think the real life number to be far less.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like a very good battery life to me.

The battery life will be 4-5 days if you disable auto-shutdown and then don't use the machine. Your 3h of usage will certainly be using the battery quite a lot!

The "8000 page turns" figure is a pure marketing figure - all the eInk manufacturers do it. It's the figure you'd get if you fully charged the battery, then turned the pages at the maximum rate until the battery was flat. It doesn't relate to "normal" usage at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Turning it on and off will probably drain the battery faster also. Somebody with a lot of patience could test how many times you can turn it on and off on one charge...

So if you get 4-5 days with the unit constantly on it seems reasonable to get 7 days with the usage pattern described.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Thanx for the replies folks

At least I know that my cybook battery is ok.

I dont really have a problem with a 7 day battery life, I was just confused by the exaggerated claims. I was expecting to need to charge maybe on a monthly basis. The claims they make are definately misleading.

I wonder how the battery life of the competition (Sony, Amazon) etc compares.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyad2000 View Post

I dont really have a problem with a 7 day battery life, I was just confused by the exaggerated claims. I was expecting to need to charge maybe on a monthly basis. The claims they make are definately misleading.

It's not an exaggerated claim. Given the typical use pattern of an average reader, (I'm not one as I read fast and read for long periods each day.) the battery will last up to two weeks. HOWEVER, if one flips back and forth rapidly, or reads many-many pages per day, the battery life for a given charge shortens dramatically.

And the Kindle has its own problem. Can you say, "Man! That Whispernet *REALLY* sucks down the power!"???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I read mobipocket-formatted ebooks, about 1 to 2 hours a day, with the flashing refresh turned off and the auto power off set to 30 minutes. It lasts 2 weeks.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
I read mobipocket-formatted ebooks, about 1 to 2 hours a day, with the flashing refresh turned off and the auto power off set to 30 minutes. It lasts 2 weeks.

Yeah. Flashing upon page change is pleasant, but it does do two complete page re-draws - both of which draw on the battery - where disabling the 'flash' only does one per page change. Gotta use every trick possible to keep the battery life up!

Derek
Old 04-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Battery life of Cybook Gen3

Quote:
Just wondering about peoples experience of the battery life of their Cybook.
-snip- My battery life is only about 1 week -snip-
I need to recharge my CyBook at or near rhe end of every book I read. My battery life is about one book!

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:

I did some tests when I first got mine and had similar results. I did get the battery to last 14 days but I was only reading about 50 pages a day at the time. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...734#post119734

The claim of "8,000 page turns" is very exaggerated and doesn't come close to real world use. All of the e-ink vendors seem to quote the same number though so it appears to come from the manufacturer. I personally think it's a useless specification and should not be used to compare the various readers until they start producing real life tests of their own specific products.

I'm actually very happy with the battery life but wish they wouldn't inflate the specifications. It just leads to consumer disappointment.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I did some tests when I first got mine and had similar results. I did get the battery to last 14 days but I was only reading about 50 pages a day at the time. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...734#post119734

The claim of "8,000 page turns" is very exaggerated and doesn't come close to real world use. All of the e-ink vendors seem to quote the same number though so it appears to come from the manufacturer. I personally think it's a useless specification and should not be used to compare the various readers until they start producing real life tests of their own specific products.

I'm actually very happy with the battery life but wish they wouldn't inflate the specifications. It just leads to consumer disappointment.
I think people forget that each time one turns the Cybook on or off, that's a page-flip as far as the screen's energy draw is concerned. As is returning to the Library, changing font size or family, paging through the Library - and the worst offender is having the Cybook 'flash' every time one goes to a new page! So if one reads a 1,000 'page' ebook, one is - if one doesn't change font information, turn the Cybook on or off or change ebooks - doing 2,000 page redraws! Oops! That's nearly 1/4 the battery charge right there!

I've gotten in the habit of not turning it on and off, not doing a 'flash' on every page turn and not changing between fonts and sizes until I'm done with a story. I routinely get a week-to-week-and-a-half per charge.

Derek
Old 04-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The fact that they use the word "pages" instead of "screen refreshes" is misleading (and probably intentionally misleading). The average consumer will read 8,000 pages and calculate an average book of 400 pages and go "wow I can read 20 books on a single battery charge.

Even if I take into account menu changes and double the screen refresh for every time I page forward I'm only getting 4,000 screen refreshes and that's being generous.

Like I said I'm actually happy with the battery life. I just think they should be honest and say 120 hours of battery life on a single charge. My vote is that Mobileread removes "page turns" from the comparison matrix or puts a disclaimer on it. I think it's unfair to the companies like Iliad and Readius that are quoting hours of operation.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I try not to let mine get lower than 60% before I top it off--I usually only charge once per week or so. It seems (or maybe it's just my imagination) that the batter drains faster as it gets closer to empty. Also it seems like the Cybook is more responsive on a full battery.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
billyad2000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I try not to let mine get lower than 60% before I top it off--I usually only charge once per week or so. It seems (or maybe it's just my imagination) that the batter drains faster as it gets closer to empty. Also it seems like the Cybook is more responsive on a full battery.
I have also noticed this. Then Battery indicator will decrease to 40% during the first 5 or 6 days, then once it's at 40% it goes flat very quickly (The same day in both cases so far, i've only had my cybook 2 weeks). I've not noticed any noticeable difference in responsiveness but it's something i'll watch out for in the future.

As I said earlier, I read that it's best to fully charge and discharge the battery for the first 5 cycles. I'll be happier when this is finished as I can just put it on charge for an hour or so every day.
The biggest problem I forsee is the lifespan of the battery will be greatly reduced from what I was expecting. I did get a spare battery with my pack and I can only hope that even after gen3 is obsolete that Bookeen continue to stay in business and supply older batteries. That being said it may be that continuing advances will persuade me to upgrade before it becomes an issue. I just like to cover all my bases
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Billy,

The full discharge advice doesn't apply to Lithium based batteries such as the one in Cybook. It applies mostly to older NiCd type batteries. On the contrary, if at all possible recharge well before battery is empty. Even if it is at 60% still recharge. I never got mine below 70% yet.

Regarding single charge duration, like others said it depends on all activity, including menu selections; even while idle it uses little bit. Marketing claims as always are too high. They often assume the optimal conditions which rarely occur. In general most users get at least one week, often more. That is plenty of time to find a USB port to plug into and recharge.

The power indicator, like in most electronics, is never 100% accurate. Therefore it doesn't change in linear fashion. Instead, like you discovered, below 50% it will drop faster and around 80%-100% it will drop much slower. It has to do with the difficulty of calculating SOC from battery voltage because voltage curve is not linear.

I find mine spends the most time between 80%-100% and then starts to decline at a faster rate. That means that displayed 80% is probably closer to 60%, while 60% is likely closer to 40% etc. The same thing happens for laptop computers.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Cybook sue store in the refrigerator!

Starting to talk seriously ...

The battery (Lithium Polymer, very good) of the Cybook, according to information Bookeen, is 1000 mAh (amps), compared to the battery of Palm TX4000mAh , would not be anything. Iliad has 1100 mAh capacity.

Bookeen future can best opening of the standard battery of Cybook for other brands. Currently there AA battery (rechargeable) of Sony with a capacity of 2600 mAh.

Recommendation, if you do not use your cybook for a long period, leave the battery resting at 40%.

Avoid buying extra battery for your Cybook before the other end their life cycle. (batteries are like watches, left manufactures the counting begins).

Do not use a battery of 100% to 0% (one cycle) to start reloading. Good is 100% to 60%. Bateriais of Lithium Polymer of a cycle of Approximately 1,500 refills (100% to 0%).

Say Cybook in full sun is not a good idea, high temperatures reduce the battery lifetime, if Cybook incurred kept it in my refrigerator.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote